Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone...I'm trying to find the best way to ask this question. :/

Ok here goes.

In my school I'd like to start a religious group much like the many Christian one's there. However I'd like to start a group that focuses more on the other world religions. I'm afraid that I might stir something up that I might not wish to stir up, like them thinking I'm fighting against the Christians of the school or something. I find that I get much frowns from the Catholic and other sects of Christianity with my idea...they say I'm creating an anti-Christian community.

I try explaining to them that they are lucky to have a group to call their own, but there are others who wish to have the same spiritual comfort in their school.

Now I've made a petition and found much feedback from Christians and non-Christians alike, and am trying to consider what it is that the group will do.

Religion is a very controversial issue, and one that isn't to be taken lightly. I want to maintain a political-correctness and establish a group with an open mind.

I'm also having some difficulty of finding a teacher or someone who would be willing to sponsor the group.

Your info is very much appreciated.

BRIGHTEST BLESSINGS!

Whitegravity

Universal Bard
Oct 28, 2004
El Paso...but not for long!
Visit site
✟531.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Come on guys, please help me!

My biggest conflict is within myself and how I feel about worrying offending others. Don't you think it's fair that there should be a group to fit everyone's religious need in schools? The group I'm trying to establish-I want to call it POWER (People Of World and Ecclectic Religions).

I've spoken with the principal and she is in support, but is worried that I won't be able to find a teacher sponsor despite the studen body's wishes for its establishment.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
OK, I'll put this bluntly. I'm a Christian, I think that all other religions are false, and I have absolutely no problem with your idea. Christianity is pointless without religious freedom. So if this were my school, I would fully support the idea. I think you should just go ahead and start the group. If anyone (Catholic or Protestant) thinks it's wrong to start a non-Christian group, tell them to go back to the pre-Vatican II days.

Reactions: Whitegravity
Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I recently helped create a Pagan group at a conservative private Christian college.

One thing to know is that you don't have to answer any questions about your specific religious beliefs. If someone asks:

"Do you worship Satan/Beelzebub/Santa Claus?" You can respond with:
"That is an inappropriate question."

I highly recommend the book "Pagans and the Law" to you, Whitegravity.

I also have read that "Witchhunts: Coming out of the Broom Closet" has some good information for coming out of the broom closet, but I haven't read it myself.

One thing you should know, Whitegravity: If they refuse your club on the basis of religion and are a federally funded school, you can take them to court.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't see why this would be a problem at all unless you go to a Christian school. My highschool had several religious groups other than the Christian ones. If I went there I'd support your right to gather and discuss any religion you like as long as things remain civil.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
arunma said:
When I was in high school there was a Muslim student group, and there's a similar group here at the university.
This town has:
31 Christian Chuches
0 Mosques
0 Synegoges
---
Needless to say, the neighbors give me threatening looks if I do yard work on a Sunday.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
morningstar2651 said:
This town has:
31 Christian Chuches
0 Mosques
0 Synegoges
---
Needless to say, the neighbors give me threatening looks if I do yard work on a Sunday.

Well, what do you expect? America might not be a Christian nation, but Christianity is infused into the culture. If Jews or Muslims want to create worship centers, they are perfectly free to do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well "white gravity" I'd encourage you to start your inter-faith group... this could be a memorable experience to treasure the rest of your life!

You might consider calling it something like the Inter-faith Student Forum or Campus Inter-faith Club or something like that... as the name POWER (People Of World and Ecclectic Religions) might scare some people... I'd suggest using a more or less descriptive title and lower profile perhaps.

Not being too familiar with your school, I'd suggest as advisor who is trying to stimulate student thought or has had wide experience in the world...someone well traveled and well informed.

There are also inter-faith student associations you may want to affiliate with such as the Inter-faith Student Association:

See:

http://www.campusquest.org/

If there are no teachers that are willing to sponsor the Club it's possible a staff member sucha s a school counselor might be... if that's within your school's rules.

- Art

Upvote 0

Whitegravity

Universal Bard
Oct 28, 2004
El Paso...but not for long!
Visit site
✟531.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Beautiful advice, everyone. I'm not so nervous about it anymore, rather, I'm looking forward to sharing some of the experiences with new and interesting people. This is just a public high school, but this would be a nice place to start communicating with people who might leave a lasting impression on my life forever. Now that I look about what I've writtern POWER...is a little, if not, very uncomfortable. I just liked the idea of forming an acronym that spelt something positive...I did not mean for it to be intimidating. I'll consider that in the future! "Arthra," would you please explain the meaning of...Inter-faith...to me, it sounds very comforting. I've actually found it reassuring to find that some Christians and Catholics and people of all other Beliefs guided me here in saying it would be fair to everyone. I had some remarks from students who said it was anti-Christian to not put Christian as part of the club, I only replied in mentioning that there were already two major Christian ones. Honestly, how much attention do you need?

Oh well, the petition was posted concerning our idea. I'm going to see the progress tomorrow and discuss it with the others to mention the great advice you all have so generously said to me.

Yes, I have great feelings about this project-I just hope it works!

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
White gravity wrote:

"Arthra," would you please explain the meaning of...Inter-faith...to me, it sounds very comforting.

Reply:

Well to me "inter-faith" implies a place where various faith communities and traditions can share and interface with each other... Something like the concept of multiculturalism... where various cultures are expressed and the variety is actually appreciated.

Also there are various projects that most people from varying religions can support so you could say have service projects that Moslems, Jews, Christians, Hindus, etc. could support and get behind...this builds foundations for better communication and undertsanding in the future!

I've personally been involved in inter-faith work for a about three years steadily in my community (previously, i started an inter-faith club on my university campus) and currently am president of our town's inter-faith council...

- Art

Upvote 0