Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Speluncher said:
"Sufficient" for what?

You do know that there's this place called hell right? And in this hell there is fire, brimstone, pain, suffering, gnashing of teeth, and eternal damnation right? And that Christ died, went to hell for 3 days, then came back, right?

Upvote 0

Starcradle

Senior Contributor
Jan 16, 2004
✟7,143.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Speluncher said:
"Sufficient" for what?

To suggest that performing noble deeds is good enough for God apart from accepting Christ as Lord and Savior is erroneous. No individual can please Him without first having faith in Christ. Jesus bore our transgressions because we cannot earn our way into heaven. Nothing we do, however good it may appear outwardly, fulfills God's perfect, holy standard, hence the sacrifice of His precious Son.

Upvote 0

SDA_ZA

Mar 26, 2005
Johannesburg
✟129.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Speluncher said:
Thanks for the Advice, FISH! She actually believes that it is mostly a trick. She is agnostic as to God, but has hope that there is a God who is both wise and good. It's just that she has such a fantastic personality and is so cute. I think I could marry her.

fish gave you some really good advice, but he left out a very important part... ask Jesus in prayer to help you make the right decision in choosing the "right" girl. also pray for her to open her heart to what the Lord is saying to her, He surely is trying to reach her and all she has to do is to open her heart to Him. I will pray for you too!

Please pray for me for guidance in seeking "the one"
good luck:thumbsup:

lands

Upvote 0

MrsGnomeCrusher

Veteran
Mar 17, 2004
Manitoba, Canada
✟10,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Speluncher said:
I seem to remember a lot of verses in the Gospels where Jesus says that his brothers are those who obey his commands to love others.

Yes, we are to love one another. You can love her and not become romantically involved. Loving someone doesn't mean romantically love. It doesn't mean agreeing with someone when believe they are doing wrong. I know there are sure a lot of people out there I don't like, but I do love them.

Upvote 0

SDA_ZA

Mar 26, 2005
Johannesburg
✟129.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Speluncher said:
Honestly, I think if we married, it would be ME who would be unequally yoked with her. I never miss church, and I am pretty open about calling myself a Christian, but in all her actions, I see that she is more likely more obedient to the Master than I am. Does it make a difference that she is a righteous person if she doesn't believe religious doctrines? I think she loves God who she believes exists, but doesn't think Christianity as it is laid out, is correct.

By doing good to others she already shows qualities of true christianity... one can be a christian without doctrines... by believing in and accepting God as your personal saviour you become a christian.

Upvote 0

Speluncher

Jul 23, 2004
✟15,352.00
Faith
Christian
Do you guys seriously believe it is more important to God that a person assents to speculative religious dogma than that they conduct themselves in a righteous manner? Perhaps God is more gratified by her love in action than Christian belief that it is within His nature to send a person to hell.

Upvote 0

SDA_ZA

Mar 26, 2005
Johannesburg
✟129.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Speluncher said:
Do you guys seriously believe it is more important to God that a person assents to speculative religious dogma than that they conduct themselves in a righteous manner? Perhaps God is more gratified by her love in action than Christian belief that it is within His nature to send a person to hell.

:amen: Amen Speluncher!! God is more gratified by her love in action!

lands

Upvote 0

MrsGnomeCrusher

Veteran
Mar 17, 2004
Manitoba, Canada
✟10,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Speluncher said:

You indicated above that Jesus stated that we are to love one another. Isn't that religious dogma, too? Are we to pick and choose what we are to follow and what we aren't because we like some and don't like others?

And I do believe it does state in the bible that we are not saved by works alone. She can be the best, most sincere and nice woman in the world, but if she doesn't have faith, where is she?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ginsu

Professional Garden Gnome Placement Manager
Mar 5, 2004
Manitoba, Canada
Visit site
✟10,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Speluncher said:
Perhaps God is more gratified by her love in action than Christian belief that it is within His nature to send a person to hell.

Yeah, I bet God is more gratified by her love than sending his one and only son down from the paradise of heaven to the zest pool we call earth only to be spat upon and carry around a bloody pulp of a body that even the deciples could not have recognized and die on the cross of asphixiation and rejection. I'm sure he'll let one pass through the gates without accepting the blood of Christ.

Good theology. :thumbsup: :amen:

Upvote 0

Starcradle

Senior Contributor
Jan 16, 2004
✟7,143.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Speluncher said:

John 14:6 I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no man comes to the Father but by me.

Is this merely "speculative, religious dogma" to you? I realize you are a new believer and hence I pose this query without sarcasm.

Upvote 0

mixiejoeusa

Praise God With All Your Heart
Jan 21, 2005
Woodridge, IL
✟13,857.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
She does sound like a wonderful women, you have to think, is this someone you could see marring someday? Will this women ever pray with you? Will you and her be able to raise your children with the same religion? Will you be able to go to church on a Sunday, when you could be with her doing something else?

I ask these questions because, these are things to think of, down the road. What are the traits of a Christian women that you want? Will she be able to encourage you when you feel your faith has fallen? Would she be able to notice that, if she is doesn't have a relationship with God?

These are just things to think about.

Jessica

Upvote 0

Speluncher

Jul 23, 2004
✟15,352.00
Faith
Christian
I think that being a Christian means being a good person and imitating the conduct of Christ -- by loving and accepting all people, and by learning how to be a fully authentic human and learning how to be yourself. :hug: In my view, I think that people get carried away with religious speculation about why Christ died, etc. I think this just shifts the focus to things beyond us, and that we should just concentrate of being a loving person. I think that most of what passes for theology and "faith" is simply idle speculation and analytical day-dreams distracting people from the task at hand -- loving others.:angel:

Thus, I would characterize Judith as a good Christian (even though she would not give herself this label) because she is very Christ-like. I agree with the person that said:

A good human being is a good Christian is a good Jew is a good Muslim is a good Buddhist is a good Baha'i is a good Sikh is a good Hindu is a good Taoist. What is good hopefully exists within us, taught from our religion or our belief containing the Creator's common message to us all, BE GOOD!:thumbsup:

I believe that Jesus was right when he said that God is a perfect Father, and I don't believe that we have to do anything or believe anything to receive his approval and care. God LOVES us all!:bow: And if he sends anyone to hell, it will be for that person's own good.

Upvote 0

seangoh

Veteran
Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Speluncher said:
What do I love about Judith?

She is very caring toward the weak and the down-and-out. She tutors a student with cerebral palsy who has no muscle control, and regularly also goes out with him to social events in order to be a friend to him.

She is in love with life and very enthusiastic about everything she does.

She is very artistic and is into sculpture, photography, and film-making. Currently she is studying to become a museum curator. She has season tickets to the opera.

She sees the best in people, never losing sight of whatever little good there is in the people she meets.

She is 5'8" with a great figure, and long black hair going down to her waist.

She understands and accepts others and is sympathetic to their struggles.
She has had a rough childhood, running away from home several times, but has come through it with a deep and rich perspective on herself and life.

She has a great sense of humor, and is always laughing, and has a cute, crooked smile she never stops flashing. (Wow, that's poetic.)

wow she seems good..hahhaa..anyway, i think you shouldn't jump into a relationship with her yet. The most i can advise is to stay STRICTLY friends with her. The least is to forget about her. After all, she doesn't accept Jesus, so you shouldn't step into a relationship with her. If you want the best for her then you gotta learn to let go for now. Don't worry God will take care of her. He cares more about her than you do and the difference is that He has power to control circumstances which you can't..:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MrDude

Mar 13, 2004
Dallas
✟1,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Speluncher said:
I think that being a Christian means being a good person and imitating the conduct of Christ -- by loving and accepting all people, and by learning how to be a fully authentic human and learning how to be yourself. :hug: In my view, I think that people get carried away with religious speculation about why Christ died, etc. I think this just shifts the focus to things beyond us, and that we should just concentrate of being a loving person. I think that most of what passes for theology and "faith" is simply idle speculation and analytical day-dreams distracting people from the task at hand -- loving others.:angel:

Thus, I would characterize Judith as a good Christian (even though she would not give herself this label) because she is very Christ-like. I agree with the person that said:

I believe that Jesus was right when he said that God is a perfect Father, and I don't believe that we have to do anything or believe anything to receive his approval and care. God LOVES us all!:bow: And if he sends anyone to hell, it will be for that person's own good.

Yeah well, ya know what, I'm gonna go with the Bible on this one. Mark 16:16

God said:
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Upvote 0

rhssm

Senior Veteran
Dec 20, 2004
✟2,830.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Speluncher said:
So, are you trying to say the Bible states that it is worthless for a person to be righteous? This is like the complete opposite of all i've ever heard about christianity.

No, the Bible doesn't say it's worthless for a Christian to be righteous. You're right, this is a large part of Christianity. The Bible DOES say a person's righteousness is worthless when they have not accepted Christ into their heart. This is because....God sent His son to die on the cross to save everyone from their sins. In order for anyone to be saved, in order to go to heaven, a person must accept Christ into their hearts first - this is what God has told us. In turn, once a person has accepted Christ and He has truly become the center of their life, they will then want to do what is pleasing to Him. That's where the righteousness comes in for Christians.

BUT for a person to NOT have asked Christ to come into their heart (to become saved), and yet to still do good works...we know that these works are NOT being done to please God. These may be very noble works, but you can be good all of your life, yet if you don't ask Christ into your heart.... then these works will amount to......nothing. Why will they amount to nothing? Because without accepting Christ as your personal Lord and Savior you will still be spending eternity in hell anyway. This is when and why "righteousness" - or I should really call this good works - is worthless.

Speluncher said:

No doubt God is happy to see people doing good.... but if she doesn't accept God's son Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior then this is not enough. Why? Because if she can't accept Him, then she is denying God as being who He is, as being real. She's basically pushing someone who is waiting for her to come to Him away; His arms are wide open waiting, but she keeps pushing. This is her test, just as it's everyone else's test to see who they will choose: God or the world (satan). If they don't choose God, there's, unfortunately, only one other choice available....

God made a HUGE sacrifice (which He didn't have to make) by sending His very own son to earth to die a treacherous death... so that we, sinners on earth, would have our sins covered in His blood.... meaning we would then have the chance to be forgiven (when we ask - after receiving Christ) and, in turn, be able to live in heaven after we die - because of this accepting. Because of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, even though we are sinners, we still have the chance go to heaven. Only problem is... each person who wants to go to heaven, must accept Christ into their hearts. And believe. It's our test - we choose who we live for.

I think this girl sounds like an awesome person and I pray that she too will come to know the love of God.
What do we need to do most in times of confusion and trouble? We need to pray. Let God know your confusions right now, because He knows better than anyone what you should do in this particular situation. Put it in God's hands and listen for what He wants you to do. If you truly seek His advice, He will show you. God bless you.

Reactions: JWBZ SVT
Upvote 0

rhssm

Senior Veteran
Dec 20, 2004
✟2,830.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
MrDude said:
Sometimes he forces those who want marriage very badly to live single lives. It's wishful thinking to think God will provide everyone with some kind of perfect mate.

Sometimes what we think is best for us, isn't really what is best for us. God knows what is best, and it's when we let go and give our problems and worries over to God that God will have more room to bless our lives in ways we could have never imagined. You're right...not everyone is provided with "some kind of perfect mate." First of all, no one's perfect anyway, as I'm sure you realize. Secondly, some people won't be blessed with a mate while on this earth, but they may be blessed in other areas. Once again, God knows what's best...and He may not have room to help you until you let go and allot that room. This is faith, what growing in God is all about. Yes it may be difficult, but that's why it's called faith.

Upvote 0

alexia

Aug 8, 2004
✟240.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Speluncher said:
Perhaps God is more gratified by her love in action than Christian belief ...

Speluncher said:
What do I love about Judith?
Speluncher said:
She is very caring toward the weak and the down-and-out. She tutors a student with cerebral palsy who has no muscle control, and regularly also goes out with him to social events in order to be a friend to him.

She is in love with life and very enthusiastic about everything she does.

She is very artistic and is into sculpture, photography, and film-making. Currently she is studying to become a museum curator. She has season tickets to the opera.

She sees the best in people, never losing sight of whatever little good there is in the people she meets.

She is 5'8" with a great figure, and long black hair going down to her waist.

She understands and accepts others and is sympathetic to their struggles.
She has had a rough childhood, running away from home several times, but has come through it with a deep and rich perspective on herself and life.

She has a great sense of humor, and is always laughing, and has a cute, crooked smile she never stops flashing. (Wow, that's poetic.)

WOW...she sounds a lot like me, besides the laughing and the crooked smile thing. :D

Anyways, it sounds like you are giving her ALL of the credit for being the person that God made her. I think that it's good to admire the good in her but you have to remember that God is the one that designed her...he gave her the personality, looks, and the gifts/talents that you admire in her.

Sorry... but God is not impressed by her sweet and caring personality...because that is who he made her to be.

Before I was saved I devoted much of my time to those in need. Every since a very young age my heart was for the elderly, disabled, and the terminally ill. And because of my personality, people placed my on a pedastal and believed that I was saved.

But when I got saved in a vision God showed me who he created me to be and he showed me caring for people across the world in need. And God revealed to me that he had filled my heart with grace and mercy. So am I better person because of the gifts that God has given me? NO. Does God see me as being more righteous because of them? NO. God has given us all different gifts and personalities for a reason.

But our gifts and good intentions don't get us into heaven.

I truly hope that things work out. Before you pursue this relationship more you might want to spend some quality time getting to know God, just like you've spent time getting to know Judith. As your love for him grows, he'll reveal more of himself and he'll guide you to the Truth.

Upvote 0