Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasCatholic

Jun 8, 2004
TEXAS
✟2,249.00
Faith
Catholic
As far as I know, the Liturgical year is recognized, in portion or in total, by the Anglicans and the churches that sprung from the Anglicans, which would include the Episcopal Church, the Methodists and other Weslayan-based denominations and also the Lutherans.

I can't say for sure to what extent since I am going straight from being a Baptist to being a Catholic... basically, the least sacramental & liturgical to the most :)

-Michael

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Anthony said:
Interesting.

I was wondering if you have ever heard of Ash Wednesday being recognized outside of a Catholic Church?
A lot of Churches do Lent and ash Wednesday especially here in New Orleans because of Mardi Gras and all. In fact- attending ash Wednesday services for Catholics and non Catholics alike are right up there with Easter and Christmas. The nominal Christians will make it to Mass or services on that day along with Christmas and Easter, never bothering to go during the rest of the year.

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to be a secretary and youth director at a methodist church. Yes they observed Ash wednesday and got ashes on their forehead. They also had services during holy week maundy thursday, good friday and easter. They also had palms on palm sunday! i too was surprised about the ashes after spending 5 yrs at an AOG church and a couple years as a Baptist. lol
karen

Upvote 0

TexasCatholic

Jun 8, 2004
TEXAS
✟2,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Skripper said:
ZZZZZZING!!! Wow! What a ride that must be! :D

Tell me about it :p Hehe. The last Baptist (or pseudo-Baptist "non-denom.") church I attended only offered The Lord's Supper (Communion) about twice a year to the congregation as a whole. You could always go on the first wednesday of the month and have communion. Doesn't sound very "communal" does it? :)

It's one of those "let's not offend anyone and we can bring in members by the thousands" churches. However, they do preach the gospel of Christ... but sometimes in ways that are weak theologically. They have grown from a home-church up to 12,000 (regular week) to 20,000 (holiday) weekly attendance in just 11 years or so. It's actually encouraging to get an e-mail asking us to park at the nearby high school and shuttle over, because the immense parking lot is filling up.

I can't knock it, though. That church brought me back into my faith.... I had fallen away from all church attendance for nearly 10 years before I found that church. It made me excited about God again... In truth, I thank that non-denom/Baptist church for bringing me to THE Church :)

-Michael
"Just another RCIA Candidate"

http://www.stlaurenceparish.com <--Parish where I attend RCIA
http://www.fotw.org <--church that brought me back to my faith

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
SouthCoast said:
Tell me about it :p Hehe. The last Baptist (or pseudo-Baptist "non-denom.") church I attended only offered The Lord's Supper (Communion) about twice a year to the congregation as a whole. You could always go on the first wednesday of the month and have communion. Doesn't sound very "communal" does it? :)

It's one of those "let's not offend anyone and we can bring in members by the thousands" churches. However, they do preach the gospel of Christ... but sometimes in ways that are weak theologically. They have grown from a home-church up to 12,000 (regular week) to 20,000 (holiday) weekly attendance in just 11 years or so. It's actually encouraging to get an e-mail asking us to park at the nearby high school and shuttle over, because the immense parking lot is filling up.

I can't knock it, though. That church brought me back into my faith.... I had fallen away from all church attendance for nearly 10 years before I found that church. It made me excited about God again... In truth, I thank that non-denom/Baptist church for bringing me to THE Church :)

-Michael
"Just another RCIA Candidate"

http://www.stlaurenceparish.com <--Parish where I attend RCIA
http://www.fotw.org <--church that brought me back to my faith
I notice a lot of the pseudo Baptist non-denominational churches are like that. There are few of them here where a Baptist minister started a small non-denominational church and it has grown by leaps and bounds. I think it’s the fact that people can come and believe what they want, do what they want and still be accepted, I dunno.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.