✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We saw it last night...

I think that this is an opportunity to engage culture with the biblical narrative of Noah. The movie was good. The acting was fantastic, the special effects were done well, and the story was well written, by an atheist for that matter. Yes, the movie deviated from the what the Bible said, but I think that's ok because it was made by secular Hollywood, not theologians. I think this will spur more people, Christian and Non, to go to the Bible and read it for themselves, which is good because all Scripture is God breathed and powerful. If a movie can get people there than great. I don't think we need to boycott it, the opposite actually. Use it as an opportunity to talk Gospel (something the movie was very lacking in). It's interesting that "Christian" entertainment is a joke, Christian movies are generally terrible, and the first time in a decade we get a movie based on the Bible that is worth watching, we throw a fit and call for boycott.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Just in from seeing the noon showing of Noah....previous comment below
this one is pretty "bang on"-- yes, artistic license was
taken, so it's not like the story in the Bible.
If you want to see the Bible version, this isn't the
movie for you.

Like many of Aronofsky's movies, it's a dark tale which is fitting
since the world as they have known it was ending.

As for any laughable parts, we didn't find anything that was
laughable-- after finding out why the "The Watchers" were
rock-people it fit with this retelling of Noah. There was a good
turnout for the movie and I listened closely to those around us
and I didn't hear any laughing or anybody mocking God.
There wasn't a lot of people leaving their seats either, once
the movie started everybody remained seated and watched
the entire movie.

I had to laugh at something and this is it: It was raining like
crazy here-- so fitting for this movie lol!

*I've seen a half a dozen different clips of "Noah" and it has the look and
feel of Lord of the Rings meshed with elements from the Bible about
Noah and the great flood, Tubal-Cain has a strong presence in the movie --
he's a nemesis of Noah or something... like there's a family feud running
parallel with the key storyline.
There's a strong environmental leaning and the clips of
the movie where I've seen Noah interacting with other people are presented
negatively...it's like he doesn't even like them or something-- gee Noah,
lighten up on all the scowling lol!

All my comments are based on the movie trailers, how close are they
to the actual movie, I don't know because the movie doesn't open here
until March 27th. I've found movie trailers to be a splice of this and that--
did they take the scenes from deleted material? Or was it from the final
movie draft? One never knows.
I also found the movie's disclaimer--
"The film is inspired by the story of Noah. While artistic license has been taken, we believe that this film is true to the essence, values and integrity of a story that is a cornerstone of faith for millions of people worldwide. The biblical story of Noah can be found in the book of Genesis."

How do you feel about shows that distort things that are precious to your faith?

*I don't care for it and it really bothers me when Christians distort things
that are precious to our faith... when those who aren't believers do it, it
bothers me but not to the same degree.

Upvote 0

HisSparkPlug

Offspring of a Genius
Jul 31, 2013
✟2,947.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We have seen threads here on what shows are suitable for Christians to watch, and have gone back and forth talking about legalism, asceticism, liberality and grace.
Here's what Kris Vallotton of Bethel Church in Redding CA says about the movie.. lol
Okay the Noah movie review; well they got his name right! From there it gets a little fuzzy. Demons, for example, disobeyed God because they wanted to help the humans and God didn't want them too. Hummmm, I wonder where they got that idea? I am sure it wasn't intentional...just a slight deviation from the book.
This is one of those movies where it seems like there is a very slight agenda besides entertainment...but hey, they never said it was a Christian movie and it's obvious they have never met author.
All in all, the book is a best seller and the movie, on the other hand, well I won't pay to see it. Oh, the acting is good.

Upvote 0

MLEN

Aug 4, 2009
✟8,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would not want to see it. Why would I read God's true account of the flood in the Bible and then go and intentionally fill my head with a false account laden with lies and error in total contradiction to his Holy Word? For this reason alone it makes absolutely no sense for me to see the movie.

In addition, Romans 1:21-31 gives us a long list of rebellious forms of behavior toward God and disregard for his truth. Then Romans 1:32 says "Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

This movie was directed by a self-professed atheist (one who does not regard the sanctity of God's Holy Word), who himself told The Telegraph that it is "the least biblical film ever made".

Therefore, why would I - knowing the judgement of God against such - want to support a movie made by someone who does not share the same core beliefs about the sacredness of the Bible? Thus, I have absolutely no desire to "do the same and have pleasure" in this film.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
quoting [FONT=Verdana said:
Vallotton[/FONT]]. Demons, for example, disobeyed God because they wanted to help the humans and God didn't want them too.

after finding out why the "The Watchers" were
rock-people it fit with this retelling of Noah.
Interesting!
we throw a fit and call for boycott.
The thread has not followed a strong consensus or group bias. People have honestly stated their stances, and reasons. To bring it up as a conversation topic was simply a way to hear how people approach their faith decisions.

Thanks for your great review of the movie-- it is important to get first-hand reports before we say too much.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.