Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Even the guy who thinks all the water went to neptune admits ther is not a trace of evidence anywhere of the alleged flood.
I do, do I? or does someone else think the water went to Neptune?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing backs that belief.
What is 'nothing' to you?

If the Flood was just local, why was Noah on the Ark for a year?

(Or is anything that backs a global flood just allegory?)

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What is 'nothing' to you?

If the Flood was just local, why was Noah on the Ark for a year?

(Or is anything that backs a global flood just allegory?)

if it was global why is there such biodiversity? Why any large life at all on other continents like Australia and the Americas? Where did the water go? Why are there no geological indications of such a global event?

AV, you've read it wrong.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
if it was global why is there such biodiversity? Why any large life at all on other continents like Australia and the Americas? Where did the water go? Why are there no geological indications of such a global event?

I've read it wrong -- LOL -- you're the one who can't (or won't) answer my question.

Upvote 0

1611AV

REPENT YE, AND BELIEVE THE GOSPEL.
May 1, 2010
Florida
✟16,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

faith guardian, is there any part of the Bible that you actually do believe???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oookaaaay. How about you answer my question then?
No, thanks -- everything you mentioned came after the Flood; and I suspect is meant to retrodeny it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

grace24

Jul 30, 2010
✟37,210.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
that is among the least little hints that its as fable.

Even the guy who thinks all the water went to neptune admits ther is not a trace of evidence anywhere of the alleged flood.

Ah OK. Well, the same thing can be argue against gradual processes. In Arizona you have the grand canyon with the river flowing downhill. If the river is evidence for the grand canyon, why aren't there other grand canyons in other rivers? Since rivers are even more common than floods we would expect to see many grand canyons being carved by rivers. Why we don't see that?

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Ah OK. Well, the same thing can be argue against gradual processes. In Arizona you have the grand canyon with the river flowing downhill. If the river is evidence for the grand canyon, why aren't there other grand canyons in other rivers? Since rivers are even more common than floods we would expect to see many grand canyons being carved by rivers. Why we don't see that?

I dont know what same thing you are speaking of to argue. Its just very basic geology.

Each river is in a unique environment. There are a lot rivers that cut canyons. There are others that do the opposite, building their bed higher.

Where I live, rivers coming out of the rocky mountains and flowing east are flowing on top of many hundreds of feet of sediments they washed down from the mountains and spread across the plains.

See how the sediment load is so great that it is deposited in sandbars, the river constantly changing its channels? Every spring flood it would lay another layer of sediment across the flats around the river.

braided%20channel0001.JPG

imgres

imgres

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Still, it all boils down to goddidit. Which is no credible explanation at all.

Anything can be credible, depending. However, there remain two simple facts about this: 1) That we have not way to verify if this is actually what happened and better yet, 2) We can actually verify this is NOT what happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I've surmised before that -- just like filling a glass to the rim with water, then sticking your finger in it and making it overflow -- God could have just placed a downward pressure on the ocean, and voila, the Flood.

That would mean that the sea level would have actually been much, much lower where God put his finger, then.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,564.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That would mean that the sea level would have actually been much, much lower where God put his finger, then.
Unless the rain from the water canopy covered it; but that is a good point you made!

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Japan Quake Shortens Earth Day.

It’s amazing what a little earthquake can do to an entire planet, an earthquake which also generated a tsunami high enough to cause significant damage to northeast Japan.

Which reminds me of Noah’s flood; not only did water fall as rain from the clouds above, but Scripture also tells us “on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up” - Gen 7:11.

The “great deep” here may be referring to the great deep ocean, and the author may be referring to the earth’s crust being "broken up" at the bottom of the great deep ocean, generating tsunamis high enough to cover mountains, and even continents.

This would also explain where all the water went after the flood; most of it would have simply receded back into the great deep ocean, some of it would have been absorbed into the ground, and the rest of it would have simply evaporated back into the atmosphere to form clouds which then fell into the great deep ocean as rain.

I think the physics of Noah’s flood is being made all the more clearer now. :)

It's unfortunate what happened to Japan, though. :(

As a geophysicist, there are so many things about this thread that hurt my soul and force me to restrain myself from going on a tirade.

The Japan Earthquake was large, (possibly) one of the ten largest earthquakes in recorded history.

Guess how high the tsunami was? 10 to 15 meters.
The Sumatra Earthquake in 2004 generated a tsunami about 25 meters high

Not exactly covering the whole Earth, eh?

Just for some numbers: The Sumatra Earthquake of 2004 had a net slip on the fault of about 1.5 meters over an area of 210,000 square kilometers. This translates into about 315 cubic kilometers of displaced water. The volume of water on the Earth is roughly 1,358,263,000 cubic kilometers.

So, the second largest earthquake on record created a wave 1.5 meters high and displaced 0.0000232% of the Earth's water.

How big would your earthquake have to be in order to actually generate a tsunami even, say, 100 meters? Or, following Biblical literalists, 8850 m (height of Mt Everest)?

Japan does not confirm Noah's flood. If you want a mechanism, just keep saying "Goddidit" but don't try and use ANY physical evidence to prove it because no physical evidence lends to creationism.

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
As a geophysicist, there are so many things about this thread that hurt my soul and force me to restrain myself from going on a tirade.

The Japan Earthquake was large, (possibly) one of the ten largest earthquakes in recorded history.

Guess how high the tsunami was? 10 to 15 meters.
The Sumatra Earthquake in 2004 generated a tsunami about 25 meters high

Not exactly covering the whole Earth, eh?

Just for some numbers: The Sumatra Earthquake of 2004 had a net slip on the fault of about 1.5 meters over an area of 210,000 square kilometers. This translates into about 315 cubic kilometers of displaced water. The volume of water on the Earth is roughly 1,358,263,000 cubic kilometers.

So, the second largest earthquake on record created a wave 1.5 meters high and displaced 0.0000232% of the Earth's water.

How big would your earthquake have to be in order to actually generate a tsunami even, say, 100 meters? Or, following Biblical literalists, 8850 m (height of Mt Everest)?

Japan does not confirm Noah's flood. If you want a mechanism, just keep saying "Goddidit" but don't try and use ANY physical evidence to prove it because no physical evidence lends to creationism.

i read an interesting piece in the New Yorker involving if a large comet hitt in the Atlantic. The author had a tsunami building over the grand banks and hitting Manhatten, 500 ft high.

i wonder,is there a theoretical limit to how high a wave could be?

A significant asteroid or comet could surely produce a wave to flood a considerable area!

But then, the story is about rain, and events about 3000 years ago.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
All this talk about differing interpretations of the Bible has got me thinking (dangerous, I know). I'd like to direct this question to AV:

AV, since there are so many who fail to come to the same conclusions after reading their Bibles, and since there are so many translations with possible errors, etc etc, why would god deliver the Bible to us in such an uncertain state? Why would he not ensure that everyone understood each and every word perfectly, so that we could all arrive at the same conclusions - since this is so important a book?

Upvote 0