Noachian Flood discussion - Bible skeptics vs Lion IRC and friends :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went to "Australia" once. Every body was a robot. Or to be more precise -- androids. The whole lot of them. Or was that Westworld, I forget my various travels.

Do they do housework? Maybe I should complain to Centre Link that I don't have one.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bible was not dictated by God word for word. People were using their cultural vocabulary to communicate.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

It doesn't matter if they used their own cultural vocabulary. The Ancient Israelite's didn't understand the why behind many of the laws that God gave them either, like quarantine. They didn't have to understand germ theory to listen and obey.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the other religions (who also believe to know their God's words) don't agree with you.

Although the Mesopotamians, whose Epic of Gilgamesh the Noah's flood story borrowed heavily from, do.

All the flood stories stem from the real one. The fact that unconnected civilizations around the world all have a flood story points to the fact that there was a real one, but as they moved away and time passed they changed and embellished it like a game of whispers. The ancient Israelite's were the only ones that God guided.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that Satan, the "father of lies", has conscripted nine of his fallen angels (known in history as the "Muses") to create an intellectual path (so to speak) up to the Antichrist, by leading the academic world and entertainment world astray.

I don't know about 9 of them, (do you have scripture on that?) but certainly Satan is leading the world down that path.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I'm hoping to learn that from Subduction Zone.

There's no evidence from Human history that shows such an event happened. And there's nothing in the geological record that indicates it either.

My goodness, the earth was torn apart... what do we know?

Do you mean that literally?

I don't know, but I've added it to my 'do not discuss' list. So far, it includes quantum physics and genetic bottlenecks.

Do people say you don't understand these topics?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If the block was missing, I don't need to see rubble.

In the example you gave though, the block is still there -- so no, my friend wasn't telling the truth.

The point I'm getting at in mentioning evidence you don't have, is that I believe it is on Neptune.

So no, you don't have all the evidence: it is on Neptune.

Or thereabouts.

But if you don't see the rubble, then you could go around believing there was an explosion when the houses were just carted away on trucks to be reassembled elsewhere.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,706.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Us Aussies are well aware of this, there are some very funny Youtube videos on it. They say the same about Finland. I am sure it's only a a few people who believe that, and I doubt all of them are flat earth proponents either. As I am sure you are aware, sweeping generalizations never hold up.
What is it about Finland?
About the only thing I know about Finland its education system is reputably the best in the world.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: sjastro
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,913,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would he do it, knowing its his end?

Is satan suicidal?
Good question.

Satan knows the Bible through and through.

So do some of his angels, as attested here ...

Matthew 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

Satan knows that if he can get just one prophecy to fail, he will defeat God.

And what easier way to get prophecy to fail than to eradicate the Jews?

If that happens, a slew of prophecies will fail.

Of the 333 prophecies concerning Jesus, He fulfilled 109 of them at His first advent.

He still has 224 to go!

Namely, getting the Jews to proclaim Him ...

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,913,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know about 9 of them, (do you have scripture on that?) but certainly Satan is leading the world down that path.
No, I don't have scripture on the nine Muses.

For that, I go to Wikipedia.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,913,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your friend calls you and says that there was a major explosion in your city and that a whole block was leveled. You drive past the block he said was leveled. No sign of explosion. No sign of damage. His claim would have left massive evidence if true. You do not see any. Was your friend telling the truth?
If the block was missing, I don't need to see rubble.

In the example you gave though, the block is still there -- so no, my friend wasn't telling the truth.
But if you don't see the rubble, then you could go around believing there was an explosion when the houses were just carted away on trucks to be reassembled elsewhere.
In that case, my friend lied to me, and I would be believing his lie.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In that case, my friend lied to me, and I would be believing his lie.
The Flood claim is an almost identical claim. It would have left clear evidence. And there is another possibility. Your friend may have heard from a bad source and merely relayed the story to you. Your friend may have been wrong. Part of studying the Bible should be studying the history of the Bible. You will find that it is not as old as claimed. Writers of the Ark story got it from the Babylonians. From an older source. Adapting a myth from another culture does not mean that it violates the 2 Timothy verse. It is still useful to instruct.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Biblical flood seems to fit the category of human myth making. Every culture did this. And the results seem (roughly) equally implausible across the board.

But also, we can begin to grasp how all the myths transmit deep meanings in the context of their cultures. That's their real value, imo, and certainly not as literal history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,913,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So bad.. its good.
The thing is though, when you play loose with mything things, you eventually wind up getting a reality check.

Why? because you myth a truth; and when you myth a truth, that truth can hurt you -- severely.

Case in point: Israel.

Refusing to recognize Israel as the Promised Land led to wars: Arab-Israeli War, Six Day War, Yom Kippur War, etc.

Jesus warns that there's coming a reality check for those who myth around with the Noah's Ark story.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The thing is though, when you play loose with mything things, you eventually wind up getting a reality check.

Why? because you myth a truth; and when you myth a truth, that truth can hurt you -- severely.

Case in point: Israel.

Refusing to recognize Israel as the Promised Land led to wars: Arab-Israeli War, Six Day War, Yom Kippur War, etc.

Jesus warns that there's coming a reality check for those who myth around with the Noah's Ark story.
People believing a myth and being motivated by a myth (such as "the promised land") shows that the myth is meaningful to them. Its not evidence of the myth being history.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,913,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
People believing a myth and being motivated by a myth (such as "the promised land") shows that the myth is meaningful to them. Its not evidence of the myth being history.
And that's where the reality check comes in to break the tie and give the mythers an education.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.