United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
briareos said:
What exactly did the Major say and do that was inappropriate? He did not require or ask anyone who did not want to pray, to pray.

He told them to gather around and then said it was their first prayer together. No option was give to not join in, and the troops had no choice. The captian didn't join in and the major ask him why he didn't join in. He shouldn't have asked the captian, nor should he have used his position to impose prayer. His asumption that everyone would pray with him was incorrect.

It is that assumtion that gauls me, including the need to ask anyone who didn't pray why they are disturbing the flow.

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The MAJ did not and cannot require those soldiers to pray or even bow their heads, he doesn't have that authority. No one in the military does. Officers know this. I too think the CPT's exaggerated attempt to separate himself from the group is a disruption of good order and discipline. The article did not give the idea that he tried to order the soldiers to pray, rather he initiated a free will ceremonial event at the option of the soldiers. The MAJ would be subject to reprimand if he had attempted that.

Upvote 0

Exiledoomsayer

Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this
Jan 7, 2010
✟17,737.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The Major told everyone to gather around, and then started the prayer. There is no way to remove yourself from that group that wouldn't cause a scene.
Sure there is.
From the article:
NPR: You didn’t participate?
TOPRY: No.
NPR: How did you walk away from that?
TORPY: Well, as a captain, there’s a lot fewer people that can tell me what to do. Now the person that was in command was a major so I was still stepping outside – he was extremely unhappy about it. He said. “Why are you creating trouble?”

Apparently stepping outside was creating trouble and causing a scene in the eyes of the major*.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You mean the MAJ.

An elaborate attempt to remove oneself from the situation could have easily been avoided. A leader, an officer, one of those soldiers leaders doing such a thing and then complaining that the event ever happened (a reasonable and right event) is absolutely disruptive. All you have to do is choose to not bow your head, not close your eyes, not speak. You don't have to walk across the room separating yourself from the group, being a leader of that group, this is disruptive.

The issue I have with this is that the CPT claims the prayer wasn't appropriate to begin with and he is absolutely wrong and wrong in making the accusation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums