Not open for further replies.

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Standyman51 said:
Every Bible teacher worth his salt will tell you that the inspiration is in the original author's writings, for that is where the Divine inspiration exists.

Yes, more or less, but when looking at the Bible as it has been handed down to us, it gets a little complicated because many books are the work of more than one author. In the Psalms, that's not a problem, because it is a collection of songs written by different poets at different times. Each can be separately inspired without anyone worrying about it at all. But what about Isaiah? Most scholars agree that it was written by at least two different authors at two different times. They pretty much agree which parts were written by "first Isaiah" and "second Isaiah."

Yet if a book was compiled this way in the modern West, without the second author giving credit to the first, we would consider the second author a fraud, either trying to pass his own work off as that of an earlier author or an earlier author's work as his own.

Then there are issues like the story of the woman in John 8. Although it is missing from the best manuscripts, scholars agree it is a genuine Jesus story. Is it either inspired or not inspired depending on whether or not it was John himself who originally recorded it?

Because questions like this do not lead to absolute certitude, the KJV-only position is attractive to those who only feel secure having a single authority. For all the KJV-only advocates I have read in these forums, it seems to boil down to an issue of personal certitude and security. For the same reason, many Roman Catholics cling to the authority of the Pope. They are afraid of the uncertainty that might result if they could not look to one single specific authority. They can't imagine how God could do anything but establish a single absolute and objective authority to which all questions could ultimately be referred. They simply pick either the KJV Bible or the bishop of Rome to designate as that authority they need to feel personally secure. Of course, some other people pick Jim Jones or David Koresh or the Book of Mormon the same way for the same reasons. Those who require the certitude of some absolute authority will find something or someone to which they can ascribe that authority.

Upvote 0

Standyman51

Aug 4, 2004
✟2,485.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Liz, Thanks for responding.

QUOTE]But what about Isaiah? Most scholars agree that it was written by at least two different authors at two different times. They pretty much agree which parts were written by "first Isaiah" and "second Isaiah."
[/QUOTE]

This so-called controversy stems from the first section of 39 chapters being different from the last 27. Further, stating that most scholars agree with the two Isaiah theory requires some names at least. This notion can be refuted directly from within the Bible itself because New Testament citations which come from both sections have Isaiah's name assigned by their authors. Examples:
Isaiah 6:9 with John 12:42 (first section)
Isaiah 11:10 with Romans 15:12 (first section)
Isaiah 40:3 with Matt 3:3 (second section)
Isaiah 61:1 with Luke 4:17 (second section)

Stan

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Standyman51 said:
This so-called controversy stems from the first section of 39 chapters being different from the last 27. Further, stating that most scholars agree with the two Isaiah theory requires some names at least. This notion can be refuted directly from within the Bible itself because New Testament citations which come from both sections have Isaiah's name assigned by their authors. Examples:
Isaiah 6:9 with John 12:42 (first section)
Isaiah 11:10 with Romans 15:12 (first section)
Isaiah 40:3 with Matt 3:3 (second section)
Isaiah 61:1 with Luke 4:17 (second section)

Stan

...or that the authors of the NT weren't concerned about whether or not the book had one author or more than one.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that most modern Bibles are the inspired and infallible Word of God. However, there are some Bible versions that are better than others. Ones that I would definitely stay away from are the (New World Translation?) that is the Jehovah's Witness Bible and a few others. But I think your average Bible is the infallible Word of God. We must be alert for any corrupted translations like the one by the Jehovah's Witnesses though. Satan will use any tactic he can to try and get us on the wrong track.

Upvote 0

jeffh

Jul 20, 2004
Kansas
✟133.00
Faith
Christian
I have the NIV Life application bible, in fact, I just bought another one to have at work for my lunchtime study. I absolutley recommend it.
If there is a scripture that I have trouble understading I do cross reference with other bible versions, as well as occasionally Matthew Henre's Bible Commentary. But the best way for me to totally "get" what it is saying, is through prayer before I even open it. God will give you disernment on passages if you ask Him.

jeff

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Standyman51 said:
If there is more than one author to Isaiah, the Holy Spirit would not have inspired Paul or Matthew to use his name when they quote from both sections.

Why not?

I think the references are to the title of the book, not the author, anyway, but assuming two authors with the same name, would it be absolutely necessary to distinguish between them?

Or if (second) Isaiah decided to incorporate in his book a large section written by some earlier author without using proper footnoting, does that mean the book is not inspired?

I think this line of thinking wrongly imposes the standards of modern academic writing on authors writing in a different time with different customs.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
plowboy22 said:
As much as I hate to say it, your post made no sense to me at all. Could you clarify why I should read the KJV only.
Some people believe that the KJV is the only good version of the Bible there is. Don't pay them a whole lot of attention. You can do that later. But right now, they'll only confuse you too much. I say stick with an easy to understand translation like the NIV until you have a better grounding in the Word. I did this and I turned out just fine.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.