• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Newspaper Article About Our "Mission"

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Spyridon, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spyridon

Spyridon Member

+13
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. KATHXOYMENOC

KATHXOYMENOC Guest

+0
    Many years!

So ... what do you do about celebrating the Divine Liturgy and the Eucharist? Where/when do you do that?

3. choirfiend

choirfiend Senior Veteran Supporter

+498
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Like many/most missions when they're just starting, the Eucharist is celebrated at least monthly by the priest serving them. This may be a Saturday Liturgy, or even a Sunday evening (liturgically Monday morning) Liturgy. If there is a Deacon in the mission, Presanctified gifts may be distrubuted by him during a Typikon, or Lay Liturgy. If there is no deacon, then on the Sundays that the mission does not have the mission priest present, the Typikon may be said, which is like Liturgy with all the priest's parts removed--basically the prayers, psalms, readings, etc, and not the Eucharistic parts.

4. choirfiend

choirfiend Senior Veteran Supporter

+498
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    And that's certainly one of the nicest and least-wrong newspaper articles I have seen re: Orthodox Churches. The author actually reported things from website statements and quoted people correctly!

Small town newspapers woohoo! Knight-Ridder/AP, boo on you for saying that we hold Mass!!

5. Orthocat

Orthocat Veteran

+129
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    That's totally awesome!

:thumbsup: :crosseo:

(I'm about 2- 3 hours north of you!)

6. Petronius

Petronius Senior Member

+22
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    God bless them !

7. Spyridon

Spyridon Member

+13
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Choirfiend has it basically right. We travel to St. Justin Martyr Church in Jacksonville, FL once or twice a month for Divine Liturgy. Right now we are holding lay led reader services which do not require a priest. We have readers Vespers every Saturday and once a month a sub-deacon from St. Justin's comes up, and we have a Typica service on that Sunday as well as Saturday evening Vespers.

The article got a couple of things wrong. We are not officially a mission so Fr. Ted is not considered the priest of the "mission". However, he is our overseeing priest, and he is my priest so in some sense I guess the article is correct in this regard.

Overall I think it was very well done, and I think the writer did his best to do a good job and get things right. You really can't complain about half a page of free advertising. I hope it creates some interest about us in our community.

8. Spyridon

Spyridon Member

+13
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married

Are you in Macon with Oblio? :wave:

9. Orthocat

Orthocat Veteran

+129
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    well, maybe farther....
    I'm up in NashVegas, Tn.

10. Nickolai

Nickolai Eastern Orthodox Priest

+155
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Just a FYI, the word is Typica, or Obednitsa if your Russian. The Typikon is the rule of a monastary on how they serve the services.

It's also not the same as a Pro-liturgy, which is what you were describing in your post.

Reader Nikolai

11. ByzantineDixie

ByzantineDixie Handmaid of God, Mary

+143
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Wonderful article and great news for Valdosta!

(Our church is in Athens...drop by if you ever overnight it for a Dawgs game!)

12. Orthocat

Orthocat Veteran

+129
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    How bout them Gators???

13. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,314
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Excellent article! May God bless and grow your parish!

14. ByzantineDixie

ByzantineDixie Handmaid of God, Mary

+143
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    :mad: If this were a Dawg forum...I'd hit the report button!!! ;)

Actually our son went to Tech so we aren't really diehard Dawg fans. We schedule our lives "around" game day to avoid the traffic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.