• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Newly Diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I had two appointments today, one with my PCP and one with my DBT counselor, Amanda. In the first appt with my PCP I brought up the thought I may have BP, which was confirmed at my later appointment by the psychologist, Amanda :(

I don't even know where to begin. I am completely numb. I also have BPD and PTSD among anxieties and depression (which apparently is now intertwined with BP). It's thought I have bipolar II, hypomania and rapid cycling. Oh joy.

How did you guys feel when you were first diagnosed? I'm just trying to absorb it all.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had two appointments today, one with my PCP and one with my DBT counselor, Amanda. In the first appt with my PCP I brought up the thought I may have BP, which was confirmed at my later appointment by the psychologist, Amanda :(

I don't even know where to begin. I am completely numb. I also have BPD and PTSD among anxieties and depression (which apparently is now intertwined with BP). It's thought I have bipolar II, hypomania and rapid cycling. Oh joy.

How did you guys feel when you were first diagnosed? I'm just trying to absorb it all.

Personally I didn't feel much, just surprised that my condition had a name, mind you they change and add - labels!!!

Please remember nothing changed apart that you will have names to describe your inner realities to you, helpful at times, not so helpful other times, for in the end you are simply you - a label isn't going to change that!

Medications, now this will change your life, dramatically - hopefully mainly for good, but be prepared to take some nasty other effects into account as well.

All the best, take it easy, please remember, nothing changed you are still you!

:wave:

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello Oddbeani,
I used to have BPD, and only in the past year was also diagnosed Bipolar. I was not thrilled with the second diagnosis, given that I was able to get rid of the Borderline diagnosis.

At first I was angry at myself. I knew this was irrational, because I knew that Bipolar Disorder is mostly organic, not rooted in behavior patterns. Since I work in a psychiatric hospital, I also know that I can benefit from the proper medication regimen. So, I prayed for the strength to accept the diagnosis.

I also felt some disappointment because of the stigma that goes with the label of Bipolar Disorder. I didn't like having another diagnosis, especially one that is a lifetime label.

But, prayer and acceptance has me now working diligently with my therapist and my psychiatrist to ensure I am stable and not playing with my meds.

Have a great day.

Hugs,
Trish

Upvote 0

Soulwings

A true original.
Apr 7, 2003
Northeastern USA.
✟25,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Hallee. :hug:

When I was first dxed, well, I'd already had so many labels stuck on me that I didn't really care. In fact, I was glad to finally have a label that seemed appropriate. Prior to being dxed, I had been dxed with major depressive disorder, followed by BPD and anxiety disorder NOS. So now I have bipolar-II with psychotic symptoms, anxiety disorder NOS, and EDNOS.

Sounds like you've got a lot of diagnoses on your plate too... but as Gerry (Jeshu) said, you are still you. Another label isn't going to change that. :hug: It just put a name on what you've been struggling with for the past however long.

What I would suggest is learning as much about bipolar as you can. Then maybe it won't appear to be such a scary beast. One book I would highly recommend (even though it may sound silly) is Bipolar Disorder for Dummies. It's very well written, is readable, interesting, and has loads and loads of information. There are other good books out there as well - I would also suggest reading such books as An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamieson - her own personal experience with bipolar-I - and other autobiographical books about bipolar. They are fascinating (and I can't think of any others off the top of my head).

Hope some of that helped. Hang in there, love. :hug: I'm here if you need to chat.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bipolar Disorder for Dummies. It's very well written, is readable, interesting, and has loads and loads of information. There are other good books out there as well

Excellent choice start with easily digestible information first, so you can relate your symptoms into tangible info for yourself. handy.

Upvote 0

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oddbeani, Welcome to Cf and the BP subforum. You will find here an incredible set of supportive people with many similarities and many differences! My story may have been similiar in some ways to yours. I was diagnosed twice previous with depression and then hit a third terrible depression that I could not get on the other side of, over the course of about 12 years it finally became apparent to me that I had BP, type 2 to be exact. Perhaps my pdoc believe so before, but I finally got there and breought it up. Frankly, I hated it at first. My own prejudice was such that depression was something that people could understand (thought they didn't) and was something that some people just had worse than others, but bp, that was like when you were CRAZY. I has taken me a while to work thru it, and even then there are times I still try to convince myself that I don't really have "THAT". But I have indeed also come the the place in my life where I know that bp is NOT who I am, It is part of what I dealt with in life. That BP has it advantages and disadvantages. I hav elearned to recognize which thoughts are illness based and which are more reality based. Dig into the internet and books and find out good info. Check out the NAMI and DBPSA websites for some good info as well. There are also many good books written by Christians who deal with this illness and a magazine called "BP" as well. And here you will find assitance support and prayers, so don't hesitate to post or pm.
AGain Welcome!

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey everyone, I really appreciate all your responses. I love those "Dummies books" and will likely check out BP for D.

I guess I have BPI, not two, as thought by myself. I met with the psychiatrist of Portland DBT (the psych program I go to) and she was rather dismayed at how I had gotten by this long without the diagnosis.

Upvote 0

Soulwings

A true original.
Apr 7, 2003
Northeastern USA.
✟25,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll be praying for you, Hallee. :hug: And yes please, my inbox is always open. Don't hesitate to PM me if you want to talk, if you want some information, if you just need to vent. I'm here for you, as cliché as that sounds. :hug:

The BP for D is a very good book. I really enjoyed reading it. :)

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
PM sent :)

I read about the mixed episode thing and tbh, I didn't know it existed until I did. I realize now when I am having the worst of worst time, it's been a mixed episode....at least it has a name.

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2007
The United States
✟8,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Right now I'm in a similar boat to you. I kinda understand how you feel. I just told my family I want to see a therapist and that's all. I'm scared too. I don't know what will happen. I spent most of last night crying myself to sleep. I woke up at noon and called my boyfriend, the only one I've really told that I suspect I'm bipolar and talked with him.

I do know the three things that are helping me get by right now: art, prayer, and talking to someone you love and trust. That and reaching out for support here can be a great help too. I pray you feel better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EbonNelumbo

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Fragile, if you ever want to chat, I am here for you and it seems as though we have a fair amount in common. I told my husband first, and from there he helped me to bring it up to my pdoc who I really trust, who urged me to bring it up to my therapist and from there I talked to the psychiatrist the next day.

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2007
The United States
✟8,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Fragile, if you ever want to chat, I am here for you and it seems as though we have a fair amount in common. I told my husband first, and from there he helped me to bring it up to my pdoc who I really trust, who urged me to bring it up to my therapist and from there I talked to the psychiatrist the next day.
Thanks. It means a lot. I earlier posted more of my story in another thread on here that I authored. I'll remember you if I have a really rough day. :hug:

Upvote 0

DoubtingThomas29

Mar 4, 2007
✟9,402.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

I remember I was talking to a black guy in Detroit, he was like a guard at the hospital, and I am tell him "I was diagnoised with schizophreniform," that is the diagnosis they tell you when they think you got schizophrenia but they have to wait six months to see if it will go away. What the guard says to me is "That is the man trying to label you."

You know that is a cool thing to remember every now and then, thanks for helping me to remember that!

Upvote 0

vibrant

now more than ever, i cherish the cross
Feb 6, 2003
✟11,179.00
Faith
Christian
I was like, oh, so that's what I went through. Interesting.

Here's the thing though -- life goes on. When my pdoc (what we call psychiatrists for short) told me that he treated lawyers, professors, architects, I realized that I could still accomplish so much in life -- and I have. It's been three years and I'm good.

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was like, oh, so that's what I went through. Interesting.

Here's the thing though -- life goes on. When my pdoc (what we call psychiatrists for short) told me that he treated lawyers, professors, architects, I realized that I could still accomplish so much in life -- and I have. It's been three years and I'm good.

Good seeing you back, even better to hear you are well.

:clap::clap:Praise God.:wave::wave:

Greetings I'm well too

Gerry

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.