• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

New to Depression

Child of JC

Created to Love, and be Loved
Dec 31, 2004
Northern Ontario
Visit site
✟10,346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been through much in the past 6 years. I didn't even want to consider that I might have a touch of depression. This morning is day one of reading about it. I don't know if I'm depressed but I'm looking into the possibility.

What is depression?
When did you decide to see a doctor?
Do the meds help? And in what ways? My sister has been on paxil for about 15 years! I see her avoiding emotions instead of dealing with them. I don't want this, I want to overcome all these things that I'm trying to deal with. Although, I do feel like I'm sinking sometimes.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,274,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Greetings sister. First I want you to know that my prayers go out to you. Also I think it is great that you are talking about it and exploring avenues of help. One of the worst things you can do is keep it all bottled up inside. I have no doubt you are already searching God's word and seeking His healing and guidance through prayer. If you are asking questions about when it's "time" to see a doctor that's a strong sign the time is now. Fear and anxiety are my biggest struggles in life so I have some experience to share. I did try an antidepressant once but I don't think I gave it enough time to work so on that subject I might not be of much help but like you said some people rely on the drugs instead of dealing with the root causes of the problem. IMO if someone has a chemical imbalance then by all means get on the right RX. Also if the depression is becoming cronic and someone needs short term help I think it would be good for that also just never give up on finding the root cause which then you wouldn't need the drugs anymore.
I've been through much in the past 6 years. I didn't even want to consider that I might have a touch of depression. This morning is day one of reading about it. I don't know if I'm depressed but I'm looking into the possibility.

What is depression?
When did you decide to see a doctor?
Do the meds help? And in what ways? My sister has been on paxil for about 15 years! I see her avoiding emotions instead of dealing with them. I don't want this, I want to overcome all these things that I'm trying to deal with. Although, I do feel like I'm sinking sometimes.

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's very hard to answer those questions, because there are so many different forms and causes.
The standard symptoms are usually given as something along the lines of:

The symptoms of depression include:

• Losing interest in life
  • Finding it harder to make decisions
  • Not coping with things that used to be manageable
  • Exhaustion
  • Feeling restless and agitated
  • Loss of appetite and weight
  • Difficulties getting to sleep
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/health)

If you are thinking about seeing a doctor, it is probably a good idea - he or she will be able to find out whether you are clinically depressed. If you are, both meds and therapy can help - the therapy avoids the 'avoiding emotions' issue!
Praying for you, sister :hug:

Upvote 0