Shubunkin

Antiochian Orthodox Christian
Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
These new rules were finally posted. Apparently, our wiki is no longer valid, although we are allowed to have guidelines in our forum.

--------------------------------------------

Temporary site wide rules:

*The names or titles of God, including Jesus Christ and the Persons of the Trinity (Father, Son, or Holy Spirit), in any language, are not to be used as expletives or interjections or in an abusive, mocking, or insulting way.

*Sharing of information about one's beliefs, for instance by quoting Bible verses or witnessing, is encouraged. Honest debate and discussion regarding the existence and nature of God is allowed and welcome. Mockery of Christians, Christians beliefs, and the Christian God are not.

*Promotion of the religion or rituals of Satanism is strictly prohibited. Promotion is defined as the active attempt to sway others to Satanic beliefs and/or practices.

*Flaming, baiting, trolling, or feeding trolls is not allowed. This also applies to groups. In other words, play nice, don't hurt others, nor call them names.
If you think you are being flamed, choose *not* to be offended, but instead take a break, and communicate, rather than escalating or accusing others.

*Defamation is not allowed.

*Harassment of another member is not allowed.

*Threads which are off topic for the individual forums are not allowed, and substantial derails ot threads are not looked upon in a favorable fashion.

*Congregational Forums wishing to remain safe havens may choose to limit debate to members of their own denomination, insist that all posts conform to their creed etc.

*Age and or gender restrictions are to be respected.

*Reasonable confidentiality will be respected by Staff and Members, alike.

*Issues with staff decisions should be taken to the staff member, then the reconciliation team, period. Don't post them, don't PM them to others, don't take them to Lee.

*Do not say racist or sexist things. If the swear filter is activated, edit your post, don't try to bypass it.

*Don't post graphics or text you would not be comfortable sharing with someone's grandmother.

*Don't break the law, don't violate copyright, threaten others, or do or promote anything illegal.

*Don't spam in threads or sigs, don't promote get rich quick schemes anywhere on the site.

*Use the brain God gave you. Think before you post. Think about how your post may affect someone else.

Reactions: MariaRegina

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
*Threads which are off topic for the individual forums are not allowed

What the deuce is up with that? I've made a number of posts asking for advice from parents whose kids are older than mine, we talk about politics, etc... things that are not averse to Orthodoxy, but not directly related to it... is he saying this is not allowed?

*Congregational Forums wishing to remain safe havens may choose to limit debate to members of their own denomination, insist that all posts conform to their creed etc.

*Issues with staff decisions should be taken to the staff member, then the reconciliation team, period. Don't post them, don't PM them to others, don't take them to Lee.

Me likey.

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What the deuce is up with that? I've made a number of posts asking for advice from parents whose kids are older than mine, we talk about politics, etc... things that are not averse to Orthodoxy, but not directly related to it... is he saying this is not allowed?

Me likey.
I think that's just to give the forums a bit more teeth to control what goes on.

IT would be like if I started a thread "The Catholic Church" and it was all about why they were wrong. But it never truly tied into Orthodoxy.

I highly doubt anyone will EVER cite this rule to disallow you from asking for parenting advice here. I don't think that was the intent in any way of that rule.

That's why it is my belief that all rules need to be written simply and enforced with common sense. If common sense is lacking... that administrator will look dumb any away and get driven out of their job any way. And if not... there is a deeper problem then and we get the forum we deserve (kind of like we have the abortion-happy country we deserve). So I wouldn't worry.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I like the last rule... (hmm, guess I can't post anymore :p)
I do like that we'd stay a bit more 'on topic'. A few years ago there was a whole more Orthodoxy and a whole lot less fluff. Still, I do think some off topic posts are fine, but I find now that there is more off topic than on.... one of the things I miss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian

Nope. TAW staff will be the ultimate arbiter of what is - and is not - on topic.

xyp said:
IT would be like if I started a thread "The Catholic Church" and it was all about why they were wrong. But it never truly tied into Orthodoxy.

Threads like this would still be allowed, I believe. As I've gathered it is something that 1) Orthodox talk about and 2) non-Orthodox like to talk about in an Orthodox context.

Guidelines can be created (either by Orthodox staff or staff and members...or however yuns decide) to define what is on topic and off topic etc. Likewise, I believe that TAW will still be able to define who is canonically Orthodox for the purposes of TAW etc etc.

In Ye Olde Announcement:

Another reminder from LeeD: “Congregational Forums wishing to remain safe havens may choose to limit debate to members of their own denomination, insist that all posts conform to their creed etc.” The Ecumenical Staff Team and the members who participate in these areas should work together to come up with said guidelines for the sake of that forum having peace and stability. As of right now, ONLY Congregational forums have this right.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you think you are being flamed, choose *not* to be offended, but instead take a break, and communicate, rather than escalating or accusing others.

I need a clarification for this one.... We either report them or we do not...??? What do we do? How do you judge whether to report or not? If rules are about "feelings" then we fall into the same trouble... some may feel that there was not flaming just expressing one's opinion. How do other congregational forums handle this one? If we have preaching and flaming together are we supposed to "choose not to be offended?"
this is a matter of theology, history or dogma ... What I am asking is we need prameters rather than what we "should feel" Hope that made sense.
for example someone comes here and says that Mohamed is the only prophet... what we are supposed to "try not to" be offended?

I would like a clarification
God bless,
Philothei

Upvote 0

Shubunkin

Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I need a clarification for this one.... We either report them or we do not...??? What do we do? How do you judge whether to report or not? If rules are about "feelings" then we fall into the same trouble... some may feel that there was not flaming just expressing one's opinion. How do other congregational forums handle this one? If we have preaching and flaming together are we supposed to "choose not to be offended?"
this is a matter of theology, history or dogma ... What I am asking is we need prameters rather than what we "should feel" Hope that made sense.
for example someone comes here and says that Mohamed is the only prophet... what we are supposed to "try not to" be offended?

God bless,
Philothei
I agree with you on this. I guess first response should be to "try" to understand the other side, but if that fails, ............ then REPORT! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

God bless,
Philothei
I think the point is that you can report them, but if someone is being rude and hateful , we should not be rude and hateful in return. I think he is suggesting that if you can only respond out of anger or hatred, it would be best to walk away and cool down for a while. But in the mean time, you can report the person so that it is brought to the attention of the mods and they can deal with it. In the end it is just a way of making sure that things don't escalate to the point that problems can't be contained.

Upvote 0

Shubunkin

Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the point is that you can report them, but if someone is being rude and hateful , we should not be rude and hateful in return. I think he is suggesting that if you can only respond out of anger or hatred, it would be best to walk away and cool down for a while. But in the mean time, you can report the person so that it is brought to the attention of the mods and they can deal with it. In the end it is just a way of making sure that things don't escalate to the point that problems can't be contained.
I think that is what TAW is famous for. We have such cool heads here. I have let some awful stuff get by because the answers to it were so good.

But I will not tolerate bringing down the Orthodox faith, nor the Bishops, nor any of the hierarchs of this faith. I just won't.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes my bad I thought it was that we could not "report" but you are right it is the inner disposition... well... sorry now I got it. I knew something sounded not right...

Thanks nutroll,
Philothei

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

heart of peace

Aug 12, 2015
✟10,802.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think what constitutes harrassment should be included. I PM'd someone privately as they had addressed me on a personal level on the boards and the person's response was that I was harrassing her. I have seen that word "harrass" thrown around rather loosely on the internet, i.e. "Your opinion makes me frustrated, you are harassing me!" "You don't sugarcoat things, you are harassing me!" "You disagree with me, harassment!" :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.