higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Nope, its an intentional choice. There are a number of versions, and there were pretty heated discussions over which one to use back when this one was chosen pre 777. There were also some translation copyright issues if I remember correctly. I don't remember the details off hand, but could probably research it a bit.

Interesting. Is this the version used in Catholic and Orthodox liturgies then?

Upvote 0

amadeus2

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2007
Oklahoma
✟28,229.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Allow me gently to say, most folk here, likely including you, have *no idea* what the Jewish posters and the Messianic posters have had to deal with over the last 5 years on this board - this action is not stand alone nor is it unique on this board --- it is the latest in a long series of actions which have had to be faced or the Jewish posters and many of the Messianic posters would have been cast away several times over the last several years ....

Unfortunately my friend, you are not alone!

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
A search on Nicene Creed will bring up a whole bunch of them in various forms and from various timeframes.

Yes, I do understand that. I'm wondering what version is used in the Catholic and Orthodox liturgies? The Episcopal Church uses a version that has "death" in it.

Upvote 0

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Once again, a number of discussion posts were moved to the new Wiki/Rules discussion thread so that the questions in this thread will be a little easier to find and answer.

This was a quick clean-up, so as not to close this thread for major surgery. More posts may be moved over later after we give it another once-over.

Thanks,

Raven
Support Team

Upvote 0

blueanjel

God 'IS' Love...I John 4:8
Dec 8, 2005
Visit site
✟79,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
question: when posts are moved, how do they show up on the new thread? is it when they are moved or do they sort themselves by post time or something?

the reason i would like to know is that i made a couple of posts one asking if discussions posts would be moved and another to clairify that i was speaking of the posts made since the last mod hat yesterday, and now i can not find them :scratch:

how would i go about finding them?

Upvote 0

amadeus2

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2007
Oklahoma
✟28,229.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I would really like to know how PEOPLE - that is, humans - are able to "spread" their beliefs, when I have been repeatedly told that Christians are unable to do so, and only the Holy Spirit can do it.
Your statement shows more of a knowledge of scripture than some professed Christians have shown with regard to the changes

Upvote 0

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Is that feature working again?
It works on my profile. If a person has a great many posts, sometimes it times out and throws an error, but if you click refresh, the list of found posts usually comes right up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blueanjel

Dec 8, 2005
Visit site
✟79,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
the moved posts are sorted into the other thread based on the time at which they were made. You should be able to do a "find all posts" on your own posts and find them.
thanks, it worked :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
It works on my profile. If a person has a great many posts, sometimes it times out and throws an error, but if you click refresh, the list of found posts usually comes right up.
Funny. When I press the "Own" button at the top of the page, I still get this message:

We are currently troubleshooting a few issues with the board. Please check back later.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
We are currently troubleshooting a few issues with the board. Please check back later.

Upvote 0

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Funny. When I press the "Own" button at the top of the page, I still get this message:

Try this: Go to your homepage, or click your name in a post to get the drop down menu. Then select "find all posts by Crazy Liz". If you get that message, then click Refresh.

Upvote 0

Amoranemix

Democrat
Apr 12, 2004
Belgium
✟16,446.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
RichardMac 53 said:
Please stay on Topic. This thread is to ask questions and to clarify the original post. For actual discussion please go here.
The discussion thread is already too long to read (over 1000 posts).

ladyt28 52 said:
Why didn't LeeD announce this with his reasons for doing so?
Now people are only suspecting he is doing it for the money, if he openly admitted it, they would be sure, which would cost him money.

Polycarp1 70 said:
In the eyes of some (but not all) Nicene-averring Christians, those who believe other than that Creed are
Polycarp1 70 said:
not "Christians" by their definition. (A good example of this would be the Trinitarianism implicit in the Nicene formula, vs. a hypothetical person who says, "I'm a Christian. I believe in the God and Father of Jesus Christ. I believe Jesus Himself was a good, holy, inspired man sent by Him to teach us The Way." That statement would not describe a Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, right?)
If you want to create a place for all Christians and weed out the rest then you should create a definition for Christian. Such effort was started at e.g. christianforums.com/t6239585-addressing-questions-concerning-the-proposed-new-definition-of-christianity.html, but it was sabotaged by the Powers That Be.

Chajara : I get the distinct impression that LeeD wants to make money and nothing more.
LibertyChick 77 : Honest question: How does offending a large majority of the members of the board "make" LeeD money? Doesn't he stand to lose these members? Or is he possibly hoping to gain back a large portion that previously left?
That is probably the calculation LeeD made. Changes like this offend some people and rejoice others. He concluded that he will gain more members or traffic this way. Perhaps the market asks more for a Nicene message board than for an broad Christian message board.

D'Ann 110 said:
And, I don't think it is a good or wise thing to tell people who are unhappy to leave this site. Not long ago, I was one of those people who were unhappy with some of the 7/7/7 reform changes and there were many of us who were unhappy. A few members from the group who were happy about the 7/7/7 reform changes had encouraged us all to leave and find another site and well, most of us did.
I don't think it's right to tell people to basically be quiet and not express their feelings. It's not a very nice way of treating people who are hurting.
Edit 1 : I agree

Mrs. Sidhe : And to clarify (because I mistyped), I was banned at that other forum for being Anglo-Catholic, not for not being Anglo-Catholic.
Loudatheist101 116: Wow, and CF's motto used to be "Uniting all Christians as one body" . Must've been a joke, as it is gone now anyway.
I think she was talking about another forum and not banned from CF.

mnphysicist 118 said:
We won't require staffers to affirm the Nicene Creed, to mod a Nicene restricted forum. Simply agreeing with the basic beliefs contained within is enough.
I don't understand what that means. What is the difference between affirming the Nicene Creed and agreeing with its basic beliefs ?

mnphysicist 129 said:
As far as linking to a site which has promotion, it is likely that would have to go.... but it is context dependent. For example, if someone asked what the statement of faith of church ABCDEF was, no problem for the most part. Where as, if folks used such a site to answer a theological question, it might be considered promotion.
What about a site like www.theskepticalreview.org that doesn't promote anything in particular but criticises alleged biblical inerrancy ? What about linking to an article of a site that promotes a competing worldview, but where the particular article does not ?

mnphysicist 129 said:
Secondly, there is a window of time, where upon significant changes can be made. In keeping a low profile, Lee was able to extend that time period much further than we initially expected. Again this window is at the point where its about ready to close. And when it does, there is more freedom for Lee to put on a much more public face than he has in the past.
I don't understand. Why is there only limited time window in which changes can be made and why would that window be shorter if LeeD is present ?

Spiritofprophecy 144 said:
Where was the vote on mandating these rules?
And the Majority is not always right.
Have you been living under a rock last few months ? Democracy was abolished on November 6. LeeD is the new dictator.

jive4005 167 said:
I'm supposing that all this change is intended to honor God and also to make this site less of a jumble and a bit more organized. IF this streamlines some of the areas I say good. I think there is already enough division and fragmenting in the church that we need not add to it. Christians should learn that our similarities outweigh or differences. Elbowing us closer together... a Jesus stew!
You can only reduce the differences between Christians by narrowing the definition.

What is the reason for closing the non-Nicene Christian forums ?
What is the reason for the discrimination in who can moderate what forum ? Did I understand correctly that the official stance in this matter is that it is done upon request from the members of those forums ?
Why are the closed forums concealed ?

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I also want to express my sympathy for the victims for this latest change, espcially those Christians who have their forums closed and concealed, and the inevitalbe victims that will follow in the future.

Edit 2 : I disagree with the proposed modifications. Please reopen the report thread.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a great day for this site, I am glad to see these changes made, ChristianForums going back to being Christian Forums...... and not just in name but in Truth......

Because we all know that nowhere in the Gospels is there ever an instance of Jesus fellowshipping with someone who didn't believe according to the established orthodoxy, right? :doh:

I have two main issues with this decision, and I'm putting them here, rather in the discussion thread, because I believe they are in essence questions that Lee or MNPhys needs to address clarifications to:

1. Is it in accord with the site's past or present mission or the actual teachings of our Lord to produce the sort of alienation among members not Nicene-avowing Christians that this decision has resulted in?

2. Is Lee aware of the "gaming" done in the past by certain members of staff to accrue power on staff and to conduct witchhunts against those they disliked by abusing rules such as this one, and by conducting all staff actions in private areas from which the membership is excluded? If not, has anyone undertaken to fill him in on the sordid history of what has happened in the past? I ask this not to rehash old history but to prevent its recurrence. That we have a staff who is in general committed to fair play for all members now does not mean that there are not some who are still/again prepared to conduct abuses by playing fast and footloose with rules and policies. And Lee needs to know this.

Upvote 0

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Every Time Jesus did Fellowship with those in darkness, they were brought to the light, He didn't become darkness or allow the darkness to persist..... He dealt with it.....

and Tax Collectors and Sinners are one thing, those proclaiming a false Gospel and a God which is not our God have no more place on this site than Muslims or Buddhists setting up a forum section here.....

Apologies to the Mod's if this is far to off course for the purpose of this thread, I was questioned in my statement and felt a need to reply here, If you want to delete this post or move it, that's fine by me....

Upvote 0

blueanjel

Dec 8, 2005
Visit site
✟79,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
The discussion thread is already too long to read (over 1000 posts).

Now people are only suspecting he is doing it for the money, if he openly admitted it, they would be sure, which would cost him money.

If you want to create a place for all Christians and weed out the rest then you should create a definition for Christian. Such effort was started at e.g. christianforums.com/t6239585-addressing-questions-concerning-the-proposed-new-definition-of-christianity.html, but it was sabotaged by the Powers That Be.

Chajara : I get the distinct impression that LeeD wants to make money and nothing more.
LibertyChick 77 : Honest question: How does offending a large majority of the members of the board "make" LeeD money? Doesn't he stand to lose these members? Or is he possibly hoping to gain back a large portion that previously left?
That is probably the calculation LeeD made. Changes like this offend some people and rejoice others. He concluded that he will gain more members or traffic this way. Perhaps the market asks more for a Nicene message board than for an broad Christian message board.

Apparently you think it's better to silence people than to tell them to be quit.

Mrs. Sidhe : And to clarify (because I mistyped), I was banned at that other forum for being Anglo-Catholic, not for not being Anglo-Catholic.
Loudatheist101 116: Wow, and CF's motto used to be "Uniting all Christians as one body" . Must've been a joke, as it is gone now anyway.
I think she was talking about another forum and not banned from CF.

I don't understand what that means. What is the difference between affirming the Nicene Creed and agreeing with its basic beliefs ?

What about a site like www.theskepticalreview.org that doesn't promote anything in particular but criticises alleged biblical inerrancy ? What about linking to an article of a site that promotes a competing worldview, but where the particular article does not ?

I don't understand. Why is there only limited time window in which changes can be made and why would that window be shorter if LeeD is present ?

Have you been living under a rock last few months ? Democracy was abolished on November 6. LeeD is the new dictator.

You can only reduce the differences between Christians by narrowing the definition.

What is the reason for the discrimination in who can moderate what forum ? Did I understand correctly that the official stance in this matter is that it is done upon request from the members of those forums ?

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I also want to express my sympathy for the victims for this latest change, espcially those Christians who have teir forums closed and concealed, and the inevitalbe victims that will follow in the future[/FONT]

to stop the promotion of non nicene beliefs

What is the reason for the discrimination in who can moderate what forum ?

to assure those persons in those forums that they will be moderated by their peers

Did I understand correctly that the official stance in this matter is that it is done upon request from the members of those forums ?

this was done by the request of the owner as i understand it, if you are talking about the announcement made in the OP of this thread

for the same reason that the promotion of non nicene teachings are now being prohibited, if they are left open then they can still spread those same teachings

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
PLEASE, CAN THE NNT FORUMS JUST BE CLOSED INSTEAD OF ARCHIVED?

There are really a lot of good discussions in those forums. I, personally, being converted on CF in UTD, am very upset about the thought of losing those discussions.

PLEASE CAN YOU THINK ABOUT THIS?

The plan has changed. I'll announce in a separate thread.

Reactions: GraceInHim
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.