New probe of origins of Islam's Quran resembles 200 years of New Testament conflict

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Muslims – and religion writers – will want to ponder these quotations:

“There is not much reason to place a great deal of confidence in the Islamic tradition’s account of the Quran’s origins” in light of “the bewildering confusion and complexity” of early Muslim memories about this. Yes, “at least some, and perhaps much” of the holy book does have roots in the Prophet Muhammad’s actual preaching career in Arabia.

However, the book as Muslims know it is a “composite and composed text” that was “altered significantly” and “reimagined, rewritten, and augmented” during a half-century or so after the Prophet’s lifetime and finally standardized under Damascus-based Caliph Abd al-Malik (685–705 CE).

What Muslim tradition tells us about Muhammad’s career may contain factual “nuggets” but much of it is “little more than pious fiction” with “no basis in any genuine historical memories.”

There could be trouble. All that will certainly offend believers in the orthodox view that between 610 and his death in 632, Muhammad, guided by the angel Gabriel, received God’s verbatim words, memorized them, dictated them to scribes, and confirmed the entirety of the Quran’s revelations as they exist today.

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It was written in the haddiths - if i recall - that during the visits of the 'alleged' angel that he had seizures.
Which is telling of the fruits and circumstances.
Not to mention St John said if an angel comes to you with a new gospel, they are anathema.

And yet how many alleged new gospels via these angels exist today.

7th Day
Mormons
Muslims
[the main ones]
there are probably some more subdivisions.

Upvote 0