New Moon Discovered Around Uranus

pureone

Evolution =/= atheism
Oct 20, 2003
✟1,331.00
Faith
Agnostic
TruthTraveler said:
Evolution or Creation doesn't matter to God.

ONLY to man.

I doubt Evolution will make a Christian an Atheist, as Dr. Hovind some times implies.
No, christians like Dr. Hovind can make Christians into athiests. nothing like militant literalism to keep people from being saved;). Hovind doesn't even know the Bible very well.

Upvote 0

pureone

Evolution =/= atheism
Oct 20, 2003
✟1,331.00
Faith
Agnostic
TruthTraveler said:
If you would have read my post right you would notice I never claimed Creation was taught in Christian schools. You would have noticed it was a question not a statement.

Anyway, is it just me or did you all loose the faith because of evolution?
no, lost my faith long (5 years or so) before I went back to college for my biomed degree. actually never really had faith to begin, and have no plans to have any soon...

Upvote 0

LorentzHA

Electric Kool-Aid Girl
Aug 8, 2003
Dallas, Texas
✟3,521.00
Faith
Other Religion
Truth Traveler said:
I still have faith that there is something bigger than ourselves, out there. I believe in a supreme being. But if you are asking what made me lose my faith in Christianity, quite simply: Creationists. They are such a small minority of Christianity but they permeate the Southern part of the US. When I moved to Texas, I could not believe people could be so uninformed/uneducated not only about their own faith but about life/history/geography/etc., etc. Here in Texas it is common for people to say "Oh you goin' down there again? Whether you are going to Chicago, California, Florida EVERYTHING is geographically south, to them. A friend I met here told me it has actually improved some (Yikes)! But he did also point out something very interesting: There is a direct correlation between The "Bible Belt" States and where those states rank nationally with respect to secondary level education . Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, are all at the bottom out of 50 sstates as far as ranking and how they place against other states. When I first moved here Texas was 44 out of 50!! The others I mentioned are ALL 40 and below out of 50. What is REALLY funny is that they are SO uninformed that they do not believe their state fares that poorly. Why? Because that info is not in the Bible-so why pay attention to it! A heavy load of Creationists in the Bible Belt. Why do creationists think education is an enemy? I answered your question, maybe you can answer mine?

Upvote 0

LorentzHA

Electric Kool-Aid Girl
Aug 8, 2003
Dallas, Texas
✟3,521.00
Faith
Other Religion
Truth Traveler said:
and a few posts later....

Truth Traveler said:
I doubt Evolution will make a Christian an Atheist, as Dr. Hovind some times implies.
Really, you doubt it now? (scratching head)? Above you did not doubt it. You even asked if it was just you who thought this way-LOL. Apparently not, It seems as though both you and your idol Mr. Hovind both like to imply this.

Upvote 0

MySavior

Sep 9, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟364.00
Faith
Christian
LorentzHA said:
I still have faith that there is something bigger than ourselves, out there. I believe in a supreme being. But if you are asking what made me lose my faith in Christianity, quite simply: Creationists. They are such a small minority of Christianity but they permeate the Southern part of the US. When I moved to Texas, I could not believe people could be so uninformed/uneducated not only about their own faith but about life/history/geography/etc., etc. Here in Texas it is common for people to say "Oh you goin' down there again? Whether you are going to Chicago, California, Florida EVERYTHING is geographically south, to them. A friend I met here told me it has actually improved some (Yikes)! But he did also point out something very interesting: There is a direct correlation between The "Bible Belt" States and where those states rank nationally with respect to secondary level education . Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, are all at the bottom out of 50 sstates as far as ranking and how they place against other states. When I first moved here Texas was 44 out of 50!! The others I mentioned are ALL 40 and below out of 50. What is REALLY funny is that they are SO uninformed that they do not believe their state fares that poorly. Why? Because that info is not in the Bible-so why pay attention to it! A heavy load of Creationists in the Bible Belt. Why do creationists think education is an enemy? I answered your question, maybe you can answer mine?
This is very very true. Most YEC do live in the states you mention. and yes they do talk bad about educated people. They are jealous, I think so. They do not want to admit they are so they try to make it look like something bad.

Upvote 0

MySavior

Sep 9, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟364.00
Faith
Christian
LorentzHA said:
and a few posts later....

Really, you doubt it now? (scratching head)? Above you did not doubt it. You even asked if it was just you who thought this way-LOL. Apparently not, It seems as though both you and your idol Mr. Hovind both like to imply this.
ha ha this is funny. You are very smart. You see and catch things like this :)

Upvote 0

WanderingMagi

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟445.00
Faith
Protestant
LorentzHA said:
Why do creationists think education is an enemy?

I truly am sorry that creationists have put you off Christianity, or that nayone could willingly live in such ignorance of God's creation as they do.
Might I suggest that thinking education is the enemy could be as much to do with other factors as being creationist? Perhaps uneducated people are more likely to be creationists, but that does not make Creationism an uneducated viewpoint.
'Heretics are not in all things Heretics' (Cardinal Reginald Pole)
Is it not possible that people wrong about some, even most things might be right about one thing few others espouse?
I am a Young Earth Creationist, and about as far from hating education as you can be. I am one of the strange swots whose curiosity forces me to go to lectures in other subjects while I am at university. I am quite likely to become an academic, and am at the beginning of that path. I love education, and naturally want it for everyone. So I hope I can convince you that Creationism is in no way opposed to learning and education of the broadest and most thorough nature.

WanderingMagi

Upvote 0

MySavior

Sep 9, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟364.00
Faith
Christian
WanderingMagi said:
I truly am sorry that creationists have put you off Christianity, or that nayone could willingly live in such ignorance of God's creation as they do.
Might I suggest that thinking education is the enemy could be as much to do with other factors as being creationist? Perhaps uneducated people are more likely to be creationists, but that does not make Creationism an uneducated viewpoint.
'Heretics are not in all things Heretics' (Cardinal Reginald Pole)
Is it not possible that people wrong about some, even most things might be right about one thing few others espouse?
I am a Young Earth Creationist, and about as far from hating education as you can be. I am one of the strange swots whose curiosity forces me to go to lectures in other subjects while I am at university. I am quite likely to become an academic, and am at the beginning of that path. I love education, and naturally want it for everyone. So I hope I can convince you that Creationism is in no way opposed to learning and education of the broadest and most thorough nature.

WanderingMagi
I think she knows that there are exceptions to everything but as far as in the US what she said is pretty accurate. The other thing is that you are not in the US, the creationists here are pretty simplish. I used to be one of them. I am just learning anything now for the first time at 24!!! My parents speak out about education and sure enough we are from a Bible Belt State. That attitude of anti education is the main one in YEC here.

Upvote 0

WanderingMagi

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟445.00
Faith
Protestant
MySavior said:
I think she knows that there are exceptions to everything but as far as in the US what she said is pretty accurate. The other thing is that you are not in the US, the creationists here are pretty simplish. I used to be one of them. I am just learning anything now for the first time at 24!!! My parents speak out about education and sure enough we are from a Bible Belt State. That attitude of anti education is the main one in YEC here.
I suppose that the greater mix of faiths that exist here than in the Bible belt, and especially the number of atheists, simply means we must keep ourselves sharp. Any group would let themselves get ignorant in regard to their weaknesses if they didn't have to defend them. Though perhaps not too ignorant.

WanderingMagi

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums