Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Several times a month, someone starts a thread like "I have committed the unpardonable sin"

And members say "No, you haven't"

Perhaps these threads could be in their own sub-forum?
They are a strange phenomenon to me, part compulsive behavior and part religious contagion. You wouldn't think it possible to have these things show up so often.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Several times a month, someone starts a thread like "I have committed the unpardonable sin"

And members say "No, you haven't"

Perhaps these threads could be in their own sub-forum?
I noticed you are an 'ecumenical loose canon'. What kind of canon actually?

Upvote 0

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chev - "loose Canon" is a pun - it alludes to keeping an open mind to books other Christians deem canonical which are outside the 66 books which ALL CHRISTIANS regard as scripture. I do not say to Orthos and Cathies that "y'all got books that ain't supposed to be in the Bible"

However, I have a hard time dealing with a deutero-canonical account of Daniel spending an entire week in the lion's den, and being brought food by Habakkuk who lived a century before the den happened.

So...

Loose Canon

• Agree
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also, the Tewahedo church has extra books in the NEW Testament, some or all of them have never been translated into English.

I used to have both Laurence and Charles translations of Enoch, which is quoted in Jude, but they got raptured in an unfortunate circumstance

Upvote 0

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is true, At Your, that such posts should not be "hidden".

Many of them are people's "first post" on CF

But if all such posts were together, they could peruse all the posts regarding the same phenomenon, and realize the truth behind the notion that if one questions if they have done the unpardonable, then, no, they haven't

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Chev - "loose Canon" is a pun - it alludes to keeping an open mind to books other Christians deem canonical which are outside the 66 books which ALL CHRISTIANS regard as scripture. I do not say to Orthos and Cathies that "y'all got books that ain't supposed to be in the Bible"

However, I have a hard time dealing with a deutero-canonical account of Daniel spending an entire week in the lion's den, and being brought food by Habakkuk who lived a century before the den happened.

So...

Loose Canon
And the canon vs cannon thing. Thanks for the explanation.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have wondered if perhaps we should have a FAQ for that.
It seems so obvious. Repent and get up and keep going. Unless you think you 'accidentally' did it, which you didn't because sin is a deliberate affront to God and not an accidental thing.

And this 'unpardonable sin' is worse than even the standard mortal sins. For those it has to be about something serious, you have to know it's something serious, and you have to freely choose to do it anyway. None of which is accidental. And there is still forgiveness for them. Things like murder, rape, blasphemy, and the like. Most of what these people think they did is sadly almost nothing.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems so obvious. Repent and get up and keep going.

I didn't suggest a FAQ because the answer is tricky; I suggested a FAQ because it's so frequently asked.

And one also needs to point out that whatever they did is not the "unforgivable sin."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,520.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You don't know how scary and damaging for a teen new to the faith a devil attack with this blasphemy stuff can be, i know because it happened to me, i ended up with the physchiatrist shaking my head like crazy in terror...
so they need to get all the support, this is no funny business.

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful37
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You don't know how scary and damaging for a teen new to the faith a devil attack with this blasphemy stuff can be, i know because it happened to me, i ended up with the physchiatrist shaking my head like crazy in terror...
so they need to get all the support, this is no funny business.
I get it that they are terrorized by the thought of it and their terrors seem absolutely real. So no desire to minimize the individual anguish involved.

I note you are from Uruguay, at least formerly a majority Catholic country. When you had your issue would you describe yourself as never Catholic, once Catholic but no longer, or Catholic? I ask because this whole question seems (seems to me anyhow from keeping my eyes open) largely irrelevant to Catholics and much more relevant to Protestants.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,520.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I get it that they are terrorized by the thought of it and their terrors seem absolutely real. So no desire to minimize the individual anguish involved.

I note you are from Uruguay, at least formerly a majority Catholic country. When you had your issue would you describe yourself as never Catholic, once Catholic but no longer, or Catholic? I ask because this whole question seems (seems to me anyhow from keeping my eyes open) largely irrelevant to Catholics and much more relevant to Protestants.

I guess i'm pentecostal. Catholicism is the 'official' religion lets say of the country but there is lots of protestant churches.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,397,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
mXruUXx.jpg

MOD HAT ON

This thread has been moved from the Testing 1,2,3... forum to Suggest New Forums.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0