Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Well, the perverse American culture seems to glorify sex every chance they get, so it's no surprise that kids have sex earlier and earlier. Frankly, it's caused me to be a huge fan of voucher systems and just disbanding public schooling entirely. They completely fail at teaching math, reading, history, and science, why should we think they'd get sex right?

How is glorifying sex perverse?

Upvote 0

Keres

Jan 25, 2010
✟8,169.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How is glorifying sex perverse?
It was a very hot and sunny afternoon. A fox, which had been hunting the whole day, was very thirsty.
"How I wish there was some water," the fox thought to himself.
Just then, he saw bunches of fat and juicy grapes hanging from a vine above his head. The grapes looked ripe and ready to burst with juice.
"Oh, my! Oh, my!" the fox said as his mouth began to water. "Sweet grape juice, quench my thirst!"
The fox stood on tiptoe and stretched as high as he could, but the grapes were out of his reach.
Not about to give up, the fox walked back a short distance and took a running leap at the grapes. Again, he could not reach the grapes.
Still not ready to give up, the fox walked back further and took another running leap at the grapes. Again, he could not reach the grapes.
The fox jumped and leapt, again and again, but each time he could not reach the grapes. Until, at last, the fox was tired and thirstier than ever.
"What a fool I am!" said the fox furiously. "These grapes are sour and not fit for eating. Why would I want them anyway?"
With that, the fox walked away.

Reactions: The Nihilist
Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, the perverse American culture seems to glorify sex every chance they get, so it's no surprise that kids have sex earlier and earlier. Frankly, it's caused me to be a huge fan of voucher systems and just disbanding public schooling entirely. They completely fail at teaching math, reading, history, and science, why should we think they'd get sex right?

It's easy to blame our so-called perverse culture, isn't it? Instead of blaming parents for not talking to their children about sex and not being honest with them. So just blame the culture.

Right. Gotcha.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2008
✟18,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
My question is as follows: Why would someone have sex with every Tom, Dick, and Harry; and not at least hold off until the one they thought they would marry come along...

I know the 60's LOVE generation were supposed to be the ones who changed everyone's thinking about sex, but I lived back then. I was in my late teens back then, and the only girl I would even consider hooking up with, was the one I thought loved me and we'd live together forever. As it was, I held out until I was 31, and boy was I glad... I'm sure that most of the girls at that time felt the same way. They wanted mister right. They didn't want some horney doofus.

So, why does it seem so different today? Are kids today just dumber, or are they misguided as a group..?

So... you are basically implying that teenagers are either abstinent or are having sex with every Tom, Dick and Harry?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I question why parents are too lazy to teach sex to their kids... and I'm against any sort of education on behalf of the school. All it would take is one generation of no education for parents to get the hint.
Two things:
1. Experience and history suggests you are overestimating a significant proportion of parents.
2. The very last person an average teenage boy wants to talk about sex with is his dad (because that means thinking about who dad has sex with, and that's not something he wants to think about), and if that conversation is forced the main thing he'll be trying to do is get out of that situation.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Two things:
1. Experience and history suggests you are overestimating a significant proportion of parents.
2. The very last person an average teenage boy wants to talk about sex with is his dad (because that means thinking about who dad has sex with, and that's not something he wants to think about), and if that conversation is forced the main thing he'll be trying to do is get out of that situation.
Teenage? WHAT?!?! You do it BEFORE the changes happen! Why would you talk to a teen about it? Prepare them for what's to come, not while it's happening!

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Teenage? WHAT?!?! You do it BEFORE the changes happen! Why would you talk to a teen about it? Prepare them for what's to come, not while it's happening!
If it's going to have any effect it needs to be an ongoing conversation, not a one-off at any point.

Don't focus on the word 'teenage' - the point is that by the time this stuff is becoming meaningful to them, dad is emphatically not the person a boy wants to be talking about it with. Conversations before that point aren't a waste of time, but they aren't, in themselves, going to change behaviour because the child's perception of the issue has completely changed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If it's going to have any effect it needs to be an ongoing conversation, not a one-off at any point.

Don't focus on the word 'teenage' - the point is that by the time this stuff is becoming meaningful to them, dad is emphatically not the person a boy wants to be talking about it with. Conversations before that point aren't a waste of time, but they aren't, in themselves, going to change behaviour because the child's perception of the issue has completely changed.
Yeah, all those talks go right out the window, I'm sure. I'm sorry, but I have a little more confidence in today's youth than that.

Upvote 0