• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Need (urgent) input on whether this is OCD.

Nigheandhonn

Sep 18, 2018
Southeast
✟99,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone. My counselor/pastor suggested I need to try trusting other believers to help me discern what is coming from my OCD and what is true, so I thought I'd ask here since I have a dilemma. I have to decide today, so input would be super helpful!

As some background information, I really struggle with pride. It's like my heart can find absolutely anything to be prideful about nearly anywhere.

So here's my current dilemma: I agreed to submit to a conference with a classmate on a project we worked on together. However, I'm worried I'll be prideful about it if we get accepted. I already sometimes feel prideful about my academics in lots of different ways - knowing something someone else doesn't, my research focus, etc., so this isn't coming from nowhere. I don't know if I'm being scrupulous, or if I should genuinely be concerned and maybe back out of the presentation. Any thoughts? I have religious OCD, but I don’t want to chalk just anything up to that if it’s something I genuinely should pay attention to. The deadline is today, and my classmate has zero idea about my dilemma (and is openly not a believer), so suggestions on how to handle this if I do back out would also be extremely useful.

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I completely understand your dilemma, but in general I would suggest you do what's best for your classmate. Find a way to be proud of your classmate and not yourself. I think the solution to your problem is to take your mind off or yourself and focus your attention on the needs of others.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My counselor/pastor suggested I need to try trusting other believers to help me discern what is coming from my OCD and what is true
We can help each other; this means yes you can help us, also, if you are a child of God.

"Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." (James 5:16)

Greetings to your pastor/counselor. I am pleased and honored to meet you two :)

Because we have been living in sin before we trusted in Jesus and we now are not perfectly like Jesus, still there are things of sin which can get into our things of personality and socializing and prayer, even, and how we see things. So, my opinion is it is likely that if I have mental health issues, sin can be involved in it somehow.

And yes pride which has me looking down on others would be a sinful thing, against how God would have me loving someone. So, along this line, if anything is interfering with how God wants us to love, this would not only be an innocent medical issue, but a sin problem.

For example > unforgiveness; clearly Jesus expects us all to forgive. So, I might sin simply by refusing to forgive somebody; or I could make it an obsessive compulsive thing; either way, the unforgiveness still is sin.

So, if the pride is wrong pride, it is sin, whether it is how usual people are proud, or how you might be proud in an obsessive-compulsive way.

And if I am of God to offer this to you, then we should well know that God has given us this in order to encourage us, not to get us obsessed with guilt!!

You might feed on how in the Bible there often is a strong confrontation against a wrong thing, but right with it is an obvious or implied strong encouragement to all which God desires for us, instead, to share with Him and one another as His family.

So, keep this > how God wants you to see anything which is wrong, but be more encouraged how the criticism is meant to help us get away from what interferes with us sharing with God in His love and sharing as family with one another. Do not get isolated, then, in concern about your problems, but get more into sharing with us all. So, I see your pastor/counselor has given you good counsel :)

And we all need to be reminded to examine ourselves about if we are doing anything in pride. So, by bringing this up, possibly you have helped various ones of us, already. So, God bless you :)

And since your pastor/counselor has sent you to us, we might send you back to ask how your pastor/counselor prepares to preach without getting into pride about the preaching and attention and approval which can come from such preaching. Isn't it true, I see from this, that all of us, about something, need to be attentive not to get into pride about it.

Even if I might be at risk of getting into pride by doing something, it might be what God wants, in which case I need to trust God to prepare me to become more able to be humble in doing it. And even if I fail, confess this and seek our Father for more real correction > Hebrews 12:4-11. And know that real correction will confront what is wrong and there can be pain of surgery, but afterward we will be encouraged by how our Heavenly Father proves Himself in us by making us more gentle and humble and caring and more able to share as family > it is not only for ourselves in isolation, but real correction brings us into more and better family sharing and ability to reach those who do not know Jesus.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone. My counselor/pastor suggested I need to try trusting other believers to help me discern what is coming from my OCD and what is true, so I thought I'd ask here since I have a dilemma. I have to decide today, so input would be super helpful!

As some background information, I really struggle with pride. It's like my heart can find absolutely anything to be prideful about nearly anywhere.

So here's my current dilemma: I agreed to submit to a conference with a classmate on a project we worked on together. However, I'm worried I'll be prideful about it if we get accepted. I already sometimes feel prideful about my academics in lots of different ways - knowing something someone else doesn't, my research focus, etc., so this isn't coming from nowhere. I don't know if I'm being scrupulous, or if I should genuinely be concerned and maybe back out of the presentation. Any thoughts? I have religious OCD, but I don’t want to chalk just anything up to that if it’s something I genuinely should pay attention to. The deadline is today, and my classmate has zero idea about my dilemma (and is openly not a believer), so suggestions on how to handle this if I do back out would also be extremely useful.
Sorry I'm late in responding to this. I know the conference is already over, but for what it's worth, my opinion is that it is scrupulosity. Did you end up going to the conference? :)

Upvote 0