san antonio, tx
✟17,595.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok my son has very mild cerebral palsy... he is a little more clumsy than most kids, and can't jump... that is the most noticeable symptoms he has...

well now his school/teacher wants proof that he has this. she has asked me to bring medical papers, or something from the Dr stating he has this. I am feeling really angry about this request (could just be the hormones...) I feel like they are saying that I am making this up. I have no records showing this diagnosis... to my knowledge I never received any thing written that said he had this condition. I don't know where the Dr is that diagnosed him, he moved away from Beaumont right after we did after the hurricane. the Dr here (neurologist) basically had Robert walk up and down the hall, and said yeah I agree with the previous diagnosis. and let us go... I am afraid if I ask for something written that I will get charged for it... or that it will not be enough. it feels like everyone is trying to keep my blood pressure high.... I just really want to scream... is it legal for his school to request this medical information?

our biggest fear is they are going to try and put him in a resorce class... I am hoping that they are requesting it to get him some OT or PT at school to help him with his motor skills....

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do they want it? It is legal for a school to request this type of thing, but you don't have to give it to them. I don't think a school would ask b/c they don't believe you; it's probably like you said to help him get some help with motor skills. They can't get him help through the school if they don't have documentation. I've requested medical things from parents before- not because i didn't believe them, but b/c I was trying to see how to best help a child. I'm sorry you feel upset, but i doubt it's anything they schemed up to personally upset you. I would just ask why they wanted it. The teacher probably has no idea this has upset you so badly.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. find out who has made this request - the teacher? the administration? a special needs educator?

2. Ask why they want this information. It could be so that your son can get the extra help he needs, but it could also be for other reasons.

3. go to that person and explain that you do not have records showing this and that you cannot afford to pay for a doctor's visit just to get them something in writing from Dr. So-and-So. If you authorize them to do so, the school may be able to request the medical records directly, or they may be able to provide for a more through medical exam by a doctor they work with.

If they want to do any special education with your son, they not only have to inform you, they need your consent. Be as calm as you can be, do not be confrontational but do ask any questions you want to ask. "Could you please explain to me why..." "Can you help me understand what..." Right now you need information from them in order to best help your son.

Upvote 0

olafias

Chasing after my little crawler!
Dec 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟8,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I finished student teaching in May, and before any of my students could be referred to special education, the teacher had to try at least three interventions (called PDIs, although I am forgetting exactly what that stands for at the moment!) in the classroom. These had to be done with the parent's consent. Some of the things consisted of placing a child in a specific spot in the classroom, giving him/her extra help such as supplemental work that can be done at home to help the child, and some consisted of behavioral interventions, such as a reward system for a child who learns to control himself during the school day. I think you should talk to his teacher and find out exactly why they would like the papers - for example, is he having trouble in school with a certain subject, or with his behavior? Others have said this also, but once you know why they need the information, you might actually be able to help them come up with a way to help your son without special education. :)

Upvote 0

purpleunicorn_Andi

Mar 22, 2005
san antonio, tx
✟17,595.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I finished student teaching in May, and before any of my students could be referred to special education, the teacher had to try at least three interventions (called PDIs, although I am forgetting exactly what that stands for at the moment!) in the classroom. These had to be done with the parent's consent. Some of the things consisted of placing a child in a specific spot in the classroom, giving him/her extra help such as supplemental work that can be done at home to help the child, and some consisted of behavioral interventions, such as a reward system for a child who learns to control himself during the school day. I think you should talk to his teacher and find out exactly why they would like the papers - for example, is he having trouble in school with a certain subject, or with his behavior? Others have said this also, but once you know why they need the information, you might actually be able to help them come up with a way to help your son without special education. :)
well his fine motor skills aren't very good... (another thing the CP affects...) and he has trouble paying attenetion in class...

I am spending the day up at school with him on monday so hopefully I can see a little better what goes on.

Upvote 0

LivingHope

Feb 16, 2007
FingerLakes, NY
✟15,204.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How old is he? when was he diagnosed? Why isnt he receiving any PT or OT? Call the superintendent of schools in your area, and they have special services for children with any problems. By law, he is entitled to a FAPE (free appropriate public education) in the LRE (least restrictive environment) They can also set up (free of charge to you) an evaluation by a physical therapist, occupational therapist and a neurologist. Then, when it is determined what kind of PT or OT (occupational therapy) he needs, they can set up an IEP (individualized education plan) and work it into his current school day. This is all provided BY the school district, at no charge to you. I cant imagine anyone sticking him in a special education classroom (we dont even have them in our district anymore, except for a few, all of the classes are integrated, its wonderful!)

My son is high functioning autistic, and aside from being a complete visual learner, he has trouble maintaining conversations of more than a couple of turns, and has behavioral issues when he cant get out in words what he wants to express. But he's academically far above grade level. He is in a classroom designed specifically for kids like him, with a 6:1 student teacher ratio, he has a 1:1 aide to keep him on track (no attention span) and he gets speech therapy just blended into the day. His long term goal is to integrate him within 2 years with no aide, but most likely still the speech. :)

if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help, just pm me! I would get your son the help he needs at as early of an age as possible to help him not fall behind his peers in any area. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

purpleunicorn_Andi

Mar 22, 2005
san antonio, tx
✟17,595.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
he is 5 almost 6. he was diagnosed on january 24, 2002 (my 30th birthday) but the nuerologist is where we use to live, and he moved not long after the hurricane hit.

he doesn't have many problems... he walks runs talks fine... just can't jump, and his fine motor skills aren't good.

Upvote 0

olafias

Chasing after my little crawler!
Dec 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟8,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
he is 5 almost 6. he was diagnosed on january 24, 2002 (my 30th birthday) but the nuerologist is where we use to live, and he moved not long after the hurricane hit.

he doesn't have many problems... he walks runs talks fine... just can't jump, and his fine motor skills aren't good.
I hope that being in the classroom with him on Monday will help you gain a better perspective on why the school is concerned. I'll be praying for both of you!

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Is the school trying to secure extra funding for him? That's the only reason that I can see them needing official 'proof'.

If it's for an Individual Education Plan, they should take your word for his condition. Given that he was born very early, should be a satisfactory explanation for his mild shortcomings.

I would go back to them and ask why they need these papers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

purpleunicorn_Andi

Mar 22, 2005
san antonio, tx
✟17,595.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
we the visit to the school went alright... I got to see just what kind of little monster I have :) actually he wasn't that bad... there were other kids that were as bad or worse... I would have been on my best behavior if my mom had come to school...Robert? nope... had a couple of melt downs... and he did not participate in music class at all...

Upvote 0