✟15,382.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums. I joined because I don't have anyone I can talk to about my marriage and some of the struggles we are going through. I'm in need of some advice.

See I've been married for 2 years now, and everyone always told me "communication is key". So I entered marriage ready and willing, and being a person who is good with words I have no problem being open to communicating.....but my husband does. I feel like I'm at my witts end sometimes! I suffer from anxiety and depression and they have been getting worse since I got married. The problem is he doesn't know how to get the thoughts out of his head. He can't seem to talk about what is bothering him or even just to work out something we are going through. What makes it worse is if I've made a mistake in the past and raised my voice or I said the wrong thing he holds onto that for every other time we try and talk. I can't even ask the question "can we talk" because he just retreats into himself (and I have tried rephrasing it but that doesn't seem to help). It's frustrating because I only have so much control in this situation. I can control my own words and actions, and of course I'm not perfect but I'm always trying to be better, and I can pray for him and us, but beyond that he has to take the step to make an effort as well.

I was hoping someone might have advice on how to reach him. It's caused so many other small problems. For example, because he can't let things out they stay burried in his mind until maybe one day we have an argument and all of a sudden everything comes pouring out. I feel aweful because I had no idea how he felt, but what was I supposed to do if he never told me? (and yes I've tried asking him). It's made me feel so lonely in our marriage. He's been complaining of needing more alone time, and I agree I messed up in not giving him that a lot, it's just hard because I work from home all day and look forward to him coming home and spending time with him. Also I grew up an only child so all I ever longed for was someone to share life with. Honestly this wouldn't be such a big deal to give him time alone if the time we spent together we actually connected, I think that's why it's so hard for me to give him that time because I feel like I don't really connect to him when we have time together.

Sorry this is really long I just have been dealing with this for so long with no one to really talk to about it. I can't go to his parents because their relationship isn't the best either and I can see where my husband gets some of his traits from. Can anyone offer me some advice? Prayer would also be greatly appreciated!

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i have no ready answer apart of keep on loving him and don't let bad thoughts about him or the way he is dominate your thinking and feeling world but try and build on the good things that you got together.

Try and meet him in his needs and give your own need to Jesus to take care off. It took me 25 years of marriage to begin to understand my wife, who is also not the communicative type, and in the past i often poured my frustrations down on her, which only made things worse. Only when i learned to understand her for the person she was did my frustration turn to admiration. For she may be quiet but she has an incredible depth and gentleness to her thinking and feeling world. So try and find your husband underneath those layers of silence and see if you can find the man back you love and admire. A lot of people find it hard to articulate what they feel so they show us in the way they act towards us what is going on.

Have you considered doing marriage counselling together this might be very helpful to both of you.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Snowflake03

Nov 17, 2019
Ottawa
✟15,382.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i have no ready answer apart of keep on loving him and don't let bad thoughts about him or the way he is dominate your thinking and feeling world but try and build on the good things that you got together.

Try and meet him in his needs and give your own need to Jesus to take care off. It took me 25 years of marriage to begin to understand my wife, who is also not the communicative type, and in the past i often poured my frustrations down on her, which only made things worse. Only when i learned to understand her for the person she was did my frustration turn to admiration. For she may be quiet but she has an incredible depth and gentleness to her thinking and feeling world. So try and find your husband underneath those layers of silence and see if you can find the man back you love and admire. A lot of people find it hard to articulate what they feel so they show us in the way they act towards us what is going on.

Have you considered doing marriage counselling together this might be very helpful to both of you.

Peace.

Thanks Jeshu :) We have tried marriage counselling and it went ok. He opened up a little more because he liked the person we were seeing and felt comfortable there. Sadly we have temporarily moved to a smaller town though and there aren't a lot of options here. I'd much rather see a christian counsellor again as there are some things that I have found confuse non christian counsellors about the way we go about things. We had to stop seeing the other person also because we have very little money and I have a lot of health problems.

• Prayers
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look up "Stop Walking on Eggshells" and "Welcome to Oz".

You may have to learn to tune out all the verbal diarrhea while he is in a tantrum. Chances are good that this is all about him and his anger issues, not about you. When you accept that, if you can, then you can deal with what is bothering him objectively and calmly later when he is no longer in a fit of anger. Try not to get sucked into defending yourself during an argument because what you "did" or failed to do really isn't the point he is making (which is that you're the bad one, not him).

Good luck.

Reactions: Snowflake03
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Marriage Encounters weekend can ddefinitely be helpful.

Women usually want to talk and get all the cards on the table so to speak and guys dont. So just getting pass this can be great.

Also, encourage you to watch "Marriage Today" Those televised programs are on Daystar. Plus their website marriagetoday.com/category/tv-episodes/ has probably 60 free episodes including "What a man really needs" and 'What a woman really needs" by Jimmy Evan's ministries. All teachings are Biblically based. Plus there's books, videos, etc.

There's hundreds on youtube.

Last edited:
Upvote 0