la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Guys, I never thought this would happen to me. I'm having terrible doubts that Jesus is the Messiah.

How do you counter this argument:
Scribes put all the prophesies together after the fact and wrote the NT to make Jesus match a Messianic figure from the OT? Like casting lots for Christ's clothing. I know this is bad. I can't stop with these doubts. I don't want to lose my faith

Last edited:

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Tania11, so your belief is that Jesus, as well the NT, are simply fabrications/not true history? If that's true, then why do you believe that these folks ("scribes") did this/what do you believe was "in it" for them?

Thanks!

--David

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Hopeful37

Mar 20, 2020
Somewhere
✟49,318.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pray and ask God to reveal Himself to u. Also reading the Word and asking the Holy Spirit to reveal Himself to u while reading/studying is helpful.

All over the old testament prophecied of Jesus coming. Even in the Psalms of David spoke of Him.

The Scribes and Pharisees hated and envied Jesus and killed Him. Why would they write the New Testament to exalt Him as Christ when they wanted Him to be killed because they did not believe and was saying His miracles were done by demons etc.

Read the New Testament and let God build your faith.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,931,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I need help with doubts, not my beliefs. I do believe in Jesus but I need answers to these questions.
Hello again Tania11, that's actually why I asked the question that I did in my first reply to you, to help you with your doubts (IOW, if these "scribes" did what you believe they did when they supposedly fabricated the NT and/or found a person who fulfilled the OT Messianic prohecies, ~why~ did they do it/what was in it for them? Money?/Power?/Fame?).

Also, the purpose of the OT Messianic prophecies was to help us correctly identify the Messiah when He finally appeared on the scene. The NT shows us that the Lord Jesus fulfilled more than 300 OT Messianic prophecies, so if what you read or were told about these "scribes" (whoever they were) is true, it would mean that they found a man in the 1st Century, Jesus, son of Joseph the carpenter, who fulfilled all of the OT prophecies about Messiah, but that he, nevertheless, was not the Messiah.

Does that make any sense :scratch:

Thanks!

--David
p.s. - How many prophecies did Jesus fulfill? | GotQuestions.org

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Guys, I never thought this would happen to me. I'm having terrible doubts that Jesus is the Messiah.

Scribes put all the prophesies together after the fact and wrote the NT to make Jesus match a Messianic figure from the OT? Like casting lots for Christ's clothing. I know this is bad. I can't stop with these doubts. I don't want to lose my faith
I think you should doubt your doubts. People have been trying to disprove the divinity and that Lord Jesus is the Messiah (Christ - same thing) for 2,000 years. Try a bit of logic. Why would people gladly die for something that they knew to be untrue? The disciples scattered after Lord Jesus was crucified. Even the leaders, Peter and John, went back to their old way of life. Lord Jesus appeared to them over a period of weeks. It took some time before the truth hit them. Jesus had risen from the dead! How would the scribes be able to get the Romans to gamble for the robe that the Lord Jesus wore? How could they stop the Romans breaking his bones (normal practice the day before the sabbath)? How could they get Judas to betray Lord Jesus? The number of coincidences required to get an individual to conform to OT prophecies is simply impossible. The Romans were not going to cooperate. They despised the Jews!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Guys I have OCD...I only wanted to know how you would answer these questions. I understand if you can't
I AM offering "how."
Only God can make me Born Again.
That is a lie, right there.

You must choose Him. You must accept His offer of Salvation. Until you do, you will be susceptible to every other lying spirit that whispers doubt in your ear.

You are like the seven sons of Sceva,

"Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists took it upon themselves to call the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, 'We exorcise you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches.' Also there were seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, who did so.

And the evil spirit answered and said, 'Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?'

Then the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, overpowered them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded." Acts of the Apostles 19:13-16 NKJV

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Tania11 , we are in the middle of a war.
We are either soldiers or we are collateral damage.
(I am not out to hurt you.)
The only way that you can take up arms is to be Born-Again.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We should have answers to these questions.
That's just it. OCD is never satisfied by answers, no matter how sound they might be. Minimally, it stems from your defective neurology. Treating that is the only effective way of dealing with it. (That and going to a church with an active healing ministry.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟454,661.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello @Tania11

Please do not trouble yourself. No one can put those things together unless God opened their eyes and ears. They were not worldly people but genuine people of faith and God. It's not man's works but God who gave that revelation to show us the truth.

I will tell you a little secret thing > let go and forget everything and just keep thanking God for everything and for every moment, like a child's heart who delights in small things. You will see great results/changes in your walk/faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sorry to hear, that you are in a crisis of faith. Rather than move back and forth, why not rest in the peace of God that your salvation is assured? I know this is difficult but rest on God's word, He is not going to leave you or forsake you. Either you are a child of God, or you are not. If you have confessed, Jesus as Lord and want to be a part of God's family then it is a settled matter. I agree with the poster that a revelation of God would certainly help, but you can still calm your storm by relying on the scriptures to take a stand against the doubts. Remember the one that asked Jesus to help his unbelief? He was healed, and so shall you. Here is just one avenue to rest your heart on. That God has sealed you. The entire bible speaks to Jesus calling out to you and how you can trust God, and though I focus on sealed in this thread, there are other passages that also emphasize how you are reconciled and met by God, that you have mercy and grace offered as a free gift.
2 Corinthians 1:20-22 (KJV)
20 For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us. 21 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; 22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Ephesians 1:13-14 (KJV)
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Romans 10:9-13 (KJV)
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Every time the thought comes that you are not a child of God, you can rest on Romans 10 and the scripture that says you are sealed. God has stamped you it is a done deal as you have accepted Him. When the doubts come, I suggest thanking Him, for saving you, for sealing you, for His greatness etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Quietus
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There is nothing wrong with having doubts or questions about Christianity, the Bible etc etc.
Your first port of call is your minister,preacher,,church leader, he will point you to where you can find answers.
If he can't, ask why and move church.
Answers.
Check out Dr Gary Habermas, he is very heavy but has the answers you need it or try
Sir William Michael Ramsay an acheologist who dug up the middle East in the 1900s he stated that Luke is a historian of the IST order, always accurate.
If it's simple evidence try coldcasechristianity or answersingenesis ( yes a young earth creation site, don't be put off, they believe the Bible is true and so have articles that demonstrate it is true. )

Finale two questions to learn.
When some one challenges your faith with a claim of some sort ask. Why do you believe that? And What evidence do you have for that belief?
Be sure from the sites I've listed that you can also answer those questions.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oops I missed Lee Strobel and his series of A Case for books.
I recommend his A Case for Christ, do get it and read it, or Josh McDowell Evidence that demands a Verdict.

Seriously talk to your minister about why he has not presented this very common information to his church and again if not willing to listen , leave that church.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married