Need help Opening the word

bluewolf

Christian Counseling
Apr 16, 2003
Md (dc suburb)
✟149.00
Faith
Christian
I am not currently a full time minister, but do have a calling. Just waiting on the Lord.

I use NIV Thompson Chain Bible. I also use The Amplified Bible Quite a bit. I also have a 4 book series which is greek word study, mostly new testiment (obviously).

I have found most commentaries, or at least the one I have, which is about 20 volumes,lacking in what I want.

I read a verse and I want to open up that verse and specific words in that verse in an expositional way.

It frustrates me that I do not have all of the resources I have to open up the word the way I want.

I saw some software at the Bible bookstore which was based on Thompson's for pastors, but it cost $299. I hate to fork out that much money if it will not do what I want.

I am wondering if there are some books that will do what I want. I am looking for suggestions on books or if anyone knows of any software that will do this.

I want to know everything about everything that is available.

Just to tell you a little bit, I read gen 1:1-2 and wrote 2 pages in word about what the different words meant to me. This was based on what I was given, not on my books, which did not tell me as much as what I was given.

Any suggestions on references would be helpful.

Thanks.

Laura 
  :holy:

to tell you frankly Laura, there are a lot of commentaries out there, the catholic commentaries (jerome commentary) are probably the most accurate and who give you a lot of what you need. However, the fact that you want to know everythingabout everythingis not going to be possible.

In fact, i am quiet sure that the more you want to know about everything, you will find out that more and more questions will build up.

My advise is to spend the time to get to know the Lord. Ask Him to explain to you about the scriputures.

Chrix

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Catholic stuff, known as the Anchor Bible Commentaries and also reference stuff is very good. The Anchor Bible Dictionary is the best you can get. You can't have too many study bibles. The NIV Study Bible has tons of good information in it. Also, check out www.netbible.com. That bible is worth every penny just for the notes.
Zondervan publishes good stuff. They have the Expositor's commentary set which is excellent. InterVarsity also publishes solid stuff.
Hmm...it sounds like you have Weust's set? I probably didn't spell that right. I think he has a 4 volume word study for the Greek.

I also recommend studying the history and cultures of the bible. That helps out a lot.

Upvote 0

bluewolf

Christian Counseling
Apr 16, 2003
Md (dc suburb)
✟149.00
Faith
Christian
Today at 10:14 AM chrix said this in Post #2

to tell you frankly Laura, there are a lot of commentaries out there, the catholic commentaries (jerome commentary) are probably the most accurate and who give you a lot of what you need. However, the fact that you want to know everythingabout everythingis not going to be possible.

In fact, i am quiet sure that the more you want to know about everything, you will find out that more and more questions will build up.

My advise is to spend the time to get to know the Lord. Ask Him to explain to you about the scriputures.

Chrix

Is this Jerome commentary just one volume or a series of volumes? Also, can I get this from a regular Bible store or do I need to get it from a Catholic Church?

I am a Catholic convert but attend the methodist church because that is what my husband is comfortable with. I feel that for him to be open to Christ, he needs to feel good about where he is going. I feel Christ in all of the churches, so it does not matter, the denomination, as much to me, as long as it is a good strong Christian church.

The Holy Spirit does open up stuff to me in amazing ways but it is always nice to see if others got the same meanings or if there is something new that I did not think of. That is always refreashing. I have read the whole Bible through a few times, and the New Testiment more times than I can count. I have taken lots of correspondence courses and have studied doctrines a lot. I just have not been to seminary.

Recently I was reading Gen 1:1-2 and started typing. Before I was finished, I had typed two pages in word. I have seen pastors give an entire message on one verse, so I know that this is possible.

When reading,When I started typing about Gen 1:3-4 and shared with my husband about the different ways that light was used interchangeably with the water and the word throughout the Bible to signify Christ and typing references, My husband, of course, thought that I was reading too much into this.

The word just opens up, it is living and breathing. I believe in the literal but also other things are there for our edification. This is what I believe.

Geez.

Laura

Upvote 0

bluewolf

Christian Counseling
Apr 16, 2003
Md (dc suburb)
✟149.00
Faith
Christian
Today at 02:08 PM Mr.Cheese said this in Post #3

The Catholic stuff, known as the Anchor Bible Commentaries and also reference stuff is very good. The Anchor Bible Dictionary is the best you can get. You can't have too many study bibles. The NIV Study Bible has tons of good information in it. Also, check out www.netbible.com. That bible is worth every penny just for the notes.
Zondervan publishes good stuff. They have the Expositor's commentary set which is excellent. InterVarsity also publishes solid stuff.
Hmm...it sounds like you have Weust's set? I probably didn't spell that right. I think he has a 4 volume word study for the Greek.

I also recommend studying the history and cultures of the bible. That helps out a lot.

Yes history is very important and the culture also due to the people of Christ's day were middleeastern. It is my opinion that with western minds, people are often confused when trying to understand God's word.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will follow up on these. I agree that a person cannot have too many study Bibles or dictionaries or commentaries.

I think that God will supply the funds needed for me to acquire the things I need to study his word.

Laura

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The New Jerome Bible Commentary is a one volume commentary.
It's probably the best single volume commentary.
The Anchor commentaries are several volumes. All the Anchor stuff is published by DoubleDay and are very nice books. They're not cheap but they're not going to fall apart on you either.
amazon.com and also christianbook.com will be your friends.
The NET bible may have notes useful to what you're looking for.

Upvote 0

bluewolf

Christian Counseling
Apr 16, 2003
Md (dc suburb)
✟149.00
Faith
Christian
20th April 2003 at 10:14 AM chrix said this in Post #2

Chrix

It looks like God in his mercy is providing some tools for me. A question. Is the jerome commentary one book or a series. I looked on amazon and just saw the one book.

Laura

Upvote 0

bluewolf

Christian Counseling
Apr 16, 2003
Md (dc suburb)
✟149.00
Faith
Christian
20th April 2003 at 02:08 PM Mr.Cheese said this in Post #3

The Catholic stuff, known as the Anchor Bible Commentaries and also reference stuff is very good. The Anchor Bible Dictionary is the best you can get.

Is the anchor dictionary the six volume one? It is very pricey but if it is the best....

You can't have too many study bibles. The NIV Study Bible has tons of good information in it.

Already on order. Also the net bible. Did you mean the net bible or the software?

Also, check out www.netbible.com. That bible is worth every penny just for the notes.

I have vincent's. Not sure if it is as good as weist but it is still good. it is a 4 volume set

What references?

Laura

Upvote 0

bluewolf

Christian Counseling
Apr 16, 2003
Md (dc suburb)
✟149.00
Faith
Christian
I am getting ready to order reference books:

I am getting net bible (already ordered)
Zond niv study bible
jerome commentary
Anchor Bible Dictionary
Zondervan Exp Bible Commentary

Here is the dilemma. The anchor dic (6 volumes) and the Zond exp commontary both cost about 250. If I have to choose, which would be the better one to get first?

Laura

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Well...the Anchor dictionary is a Bible dictionary. If you're already getting a commentary (the Jerome one you mentioned) then you probably wouldn't need a second commentary.

So you might want to opt with the Bible Dictionary first. And 6 volumes of it probably gives you enough information to last a lifetime! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bluewolf,

Hi...so you need to know some tools to use in the ministry. I am currently enrolled in a Biblical Studies program at my university and I will say this....books and commentaries are expensive, especially one's that are actually worth buying!

Now, if you are like me then this is depressing because I don't have a lot of cash :help: But I make a list (by talking to other students and professors) of the tools that will help me in studying scripture. Also you must decide how far do want to go into studying. I saw that you like to teach expositionally, which is great. But to do so you will need many expensive tools, but they are well worth their money. One of my professors has this quote by Erasmus on his door:

When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
Desiderius Erasmus

Some of the books I have found helpful in my studies are:

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia published by Eerdmans. Editor is Geoffrey W. Bromiley. It is a four volume set to help start off with.

Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament published by Eerdmans. Editors are Balz & Schneider. This is a three volume set and right now volume three is on back order.

Methodical Bible Study by Robert A. Traina.

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology published by Zondervan. Editor is Colin Brown. This is a four volume set.

New Testament Dictionary Set published by InterVarsity Press.
This set includes:
i. Dictionary of Jesus & the Gospels
ii. Dictionary of Paul & His Letters
iii. Dictionary of the Later New Testament & Its Developments
iv. Dictionary of New Testament Background

This list focuses mainly on the New Testament but there are similar tools for the Old Testament. Another suggestion I would like to make is to take classes to learn Greek and Hebrew.

Another book that would be helpful is Rediscovering Expository Preaching by John MacArthur and Professors at the Master's Seminary. It is a crash course in expository preaching and it has a list of "starter" books for a new pastor. They say a good pastor's library has at least 750 books!!!! :help:

Hope this helps and I hope that I didn't depress you :sorry: ...My professor told us that for the next 20 years we know what to answer when we are asked on our birthday's and Christmas, etc what we want.....BOOKS!!!! :D

Upvote 0

bluewolf

Christian Counseling
Apr 16, 2003
Md (dc suburb)
✟149.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks! God has given us a little money so that I can have $300 in books. I have them bookmarked at Amazon's and biblebooks.com. I will add yours to the list too.

I do want to take Bible courses too. A friend told me you can take some online. I wonder what kind of courses they are and what are their websites!!!

Laura

Upvote 0