✟12,374.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

I've been baptized yesterday and I really want to grow as an individual in the church of the Lord. I understand that this requires a proper bible study habit and was wondering if there was any good bible study resources online I could do to follow? Or if someone would like to point me to a good directions on the books I should start to study of the bible. Thank you and happy holidays!

Young Man

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello all,

I've been baptized yesterday and I really want to grow as an individual in the church of the Lord. I understand that this requires a proper bible study habit and was wondering if there was any good bible study resources online I could do to follow? Or if someone would like to point me to a good directions on the books I should start to study of the bible. Thank you and happy holidays!

Young Man

I once had this same question and I brought it before the Lord first and did some active research also. I was patient because I knew God knows what is best for me and I waited on His voice to guide me.
My dad uses Logos but that is very pricey, so for starters (ask God, of course!) I began and sometimes still use this:
Read & Study The Bible - Daily Verse, Scripture by Topic, Stories

Actually, even before I used any Bible Study tool, God had me read and reread the Gospels first and then He had me read a chapter of the OT at night while I read the Gospels during the day. I believe this was to equip my mind with His Word and still holds true even now. I don't rely on study tools nearly as much as His Word and what the Holy Spirit teaches me.

Just to keep a couple things in mind, that way we don't hold to someone else's commentary over God's way. We still have room for error after all. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

johnabill

Dec 28, 2018
northwest
✟15,600.00
Country
Argentina
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must have a discipler. That being said they are few and far between so you probably are left to your own devices. Study and reading are a help but dont go far enough for most people.
You need to read a paragraph starting in Romans 12:1. Then meditate on that paragraph, write down what you got out of that but not a summary or the paragraph. You ask God and then are open to what God is pointing out to YOU. Then you write an application of that idea you meditated on and then pray to God about it. Then write that prayer down as well. Yes you will need a notebook. Even better is a journal you can buy in a Christian bookstore. This is the way to Christian growth. All other activities including regular attendance at church is just helpful supports. Speaking of church, it is really good to worship God with other Christians in song. Writing notes on the sermon in your journal is good but not essential. The sermon is a lecture and so that part of the service is school.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You can immerse yourself in all sorts of theology or simply focus on the Gospel of the Kingdom that Jesus said was His reason for being. It is a simple matter of understanding the difference between the will of man and the will of God.

One serves self by seeking gain at the expense of others and self justifying hurtful deeds often using God's name to back such things up or more often redefining the definition of good and evil to self justify acts. The result is a vicious circle of payback. Turn on the news for examples.

The other is to follow the will of God which is love all neighbours as self. It counteracts all the evils of mankind. It will never be a global solution until the return of Jesus but then again we aren't to be concerned globally but about our own salvation and living the life Jesus taught as an example to others. All else is bling and theological filler most often to serve yet another institution of man called religion designed to dominate the masses to protect authority of man using God as an excuse.

Upvote 0

johnabill

Dec 28, 2018
northwest
✟15,600.00
Country
Argentina
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Id have to agree with that. The institutional church, whatever you tradition, is opposed to what Jesus taught about church. But its all we have so to obey what Jesus said to "Not forsake the gathering together" we have to go to that without believing what they teach without checking it out for yourself, being a Berean. If you have the opportunity to gather non institutionally you still need to check out whats being said, done and taught.
The way of Christ is to treat each person, one at a time, as important as myself. That doesnt save you for none of us can do that perfectly but it is the way to follow Christ and be his disciple. There are some details not expressed here but this is the core. In Isaiah 43:7 God said that he made us for his glory. Our purpose is to glorify God. There are examples in the bible of how to do that but its the principle, the core, that the details hang on

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We still have to be thankful that God knew what He was doing giving it over to the Gentile church knowing full well gentiles would return it to the world of man. But it was the only way the scriptures would get forwarded to the days when the time of the Gentiles was over. And the scriptures are the truth, not the religion.

Upvote 0

johnabill

Dec 28, 2018
northwest
✟15,600.00
Country
Argentina
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the way one practices their faith, that is their religion, is fine. Its when people come to believe that the religion is the truth even in the evidence of Scripture. Theres a lady down the street from a different tradition than mine that we have talked before and she doesnt care what the Bible says. But people in my tradition dont care what the Bible says either. Even my disciples, who I have tried to bring up with the truth of being a Berean, dont respect what the Bible says. One of them said to me recently, "Im fine with the way church is". Colossians 2:8 warns us "Beware lest anyone rob you by tradition". Im all for tradition but when it "takes us captive" is what the Greek means, "spoil" in KJ, so we are obedient to it rather than what God has said and even wrote it down so it would be clear then tradition, religion, is wrong.

Upvote 0

johnabill

Dec 28, 2018
northwest
✟15,600.00
Country
Argentina
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont want to point my finger at any one tradition or say any of them are wrong in and of themselves but its when they are believed in as truth even though they are in conflict with the Bible. For example the Anabaptist tradition, most people in that tradition believe that what they do it truth even if there are parts that arent. We could exemplify any and all traditions.We have to remember that they are just traditions not necessarily biblical. I like traditions but dont let them capture you into false belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums