Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Theology wise. There is no church with more reason and intelligence in their apologetics other than the Catholic and the Orthodox. Lutherans and Anglicans are intelligent denominations too; they also can deliver a good debate.
I was an anti-catholic protestant growing up who made it a goal to put down the RCC through scripture but eventually it lead me to be a catholic.

Yes, I am making this stuff as if it where a sport/competition because I believe there is a one true church -- On paper.

The reality is, I advise you to not worry about "what church you should go to" because despite the better apologetics, there is no true church anymore. They are all corrupt and fake.

As much as I defend the theology of Catholicism here; only those who've lived in 3rd world countries would understand why the church is corrupt. Protestant churches are not exempted from this either (read #151); they are just as corrupt and full of lies.

So if you want a good church, don't take a look at the doctrines but take a very good look at the people who are running the church.. or just don't be part of any church community at all.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Whenever something, anything, contradicts Scripture, drop it. It is not in truth sound reason, good theology, nor rational nor true intelligence not to. (all those being man's carnal reasons anyway, ergo: not to value)

Since you learned that, do that. (or continue doing that).

Then step by step we start to see God
start to recover/heal us - after we were "sifted by hasatan" like Peter.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Theology wise. There is no church with more reason and intelligence in their apologetics other than the Catholic and the Orthodox.

That's a big claim.

Lutherans and Anglicans are intelligent denominations too; they also can deliver a good debate.

And what do ye have against Presbyterians, then, laddie?

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Paul refers to the "churches of Christ" in Romans 16:16, he is not talking about modern day Campbellism, but the body of Christ (Colossians 1:18,24). Elsewhere in Scripture, Paul refers to the church as the "church of God." (1 Corinthians 1:2; 10:32; 11:22; 15:9; 2 Corinthians 1:1; Galatians 1:3).

How do you know the mind of Paul, well actually what you are saying is that you know the mind of God since He is the true author???? I've never been one to be stuck on a name but since you mention it, church of Christ would be an appropriate name since He died for it and is the chief conerstone. How the church or body of believers, DO, in relation to worship and doctrine is most critical.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How do you know the mind of Paul, well actually what you are saying is that you know the mind of God since He is the true author????
No need for that kind of talk.

In Paul's words, Yahweh reveals much to those who have ears to hear, and eyes to see.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Paul refers to the "churches of Christ" in Romans 16:16, he is not talking about modern day Campbellism, but the body of Christ (Colossians 1:18,24). Elsewhere in Scripture, Paul refers to the church as the "church of God." (1 Corinthians 1:2; 10:32; 11:22; 15:9; 2 Corinthians 1:1; Galatians 1:3).
Enlighten me. Exactly how is it that you know the mind of Paul, well actually you are saying you know the mind if God???? I've never been one to be stuck on a name but since you bring it up, church of Christ would certainly be an appropriate name for a body of Christians or Christ followers since it is His church, He died for it and He is the chief cornerstone. To me it's what a body of Christians do pertaining to worship and doctrine that is most critical.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
There is no New revelation today. The Bible is clear on this.
No. That is a common error.

Look up Jesus' Own Words "PRAISE YOU ABBA YAHWEH ! (FATHER IN HEAVEN)
FOR R E V E A L I N G REVEALING, for revealing SALVATION and AND AND everything to do with SALVATION, to little children.
FOR THUS it is YOUR GOOD PLEASURE ! (the FATHER LOVES TO DO THIS!)

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. That is a common error.

Look up Jesus' Own Words "PRAISE YOU ABBA YAHWEH ! (FATHER IN HEAVEN)
FOR R E V E A L I N G REVEALING, for revealing SALVATION and AND AND everything to do with SALVATION, to little children.
FOR THUS it is YOUR GOOD PLEASURE ! (the FATHER LOVES TO DO THIS!)
So, what new revelations are allowed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
...and they have not, as we all know. Christianity is the largest faith in the world and the most widely spread of all the world's religions.

The reference was to the PEOPLE, the "household of faith," not to some particular religious organization.

But it is necessary to understand what it is before we "believe" in it. ;)
Don't you mean your interpretation?

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read Jesus' Words in the New Testament and see - HE SAYS THIS.
The Messiah has come, was crucified, buried and raised the third day. He then ascended back to the Father in heaven. Now we are looking forward to the day He returns and claims His bride. Untill the day He returns, what else might be added to His written word? If anything else could be added that would create confusion, would it not?
For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. - 1 Corinthians 14:33
I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. - Galatians 1:6-8
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. - Revelation 22:18-19
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. - 2 Timothy 3:16-17
According to these scriptures the Bible is complete; all we need to be pleasong unto God.

Upvote 0

Bearpat

Jan 2, 2019
Southern Tier of NY State
✟8,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was gonna become Catholic but I'm not sure. Certainly some of these things are required at the Church itself, (confession, real presence of Christ in Communion, and Trinitarian baptism) what denomination am I do you think?

Here's what I believe for certain (besides stuff all Christians believe):

That we are saved by faith but that true faith involves an attempt to be holy.

That Christ instituted one Church, of spme manner that is also Holy, Catholic (universal), and Apostolic.

There are some sort of oral traditions (2 Thessalonians 2:15)

Baptism must be done in the name of the Father, and The Son, and the Holy Spirit. For the forgiveness of sins.

Christ is present in the Eucharist/communion.

Marriage is between one man and one woman.

Abortion is wrong.

We are to confess our sins to a pastor

That scripture is not to be interpreted by ourselves.

Women can't be pastors or priests. Pastors or priests are allowed to marry.

People still speak in tongues. Though it is not required, encouraged, and does not have authority over the Church

God alone is authority for faith.

Things I'm pretty sure of:

The apocrypha are scripture.

We are to pray to God alone.

Mary is not sinless

Mary did not remain a virgin

Mary is in heaven

Apostolic Succession

Worship is on Sunday

Baptism is once in a lifetime

Ah, if only finding God were as easy as picking a church and learning Doctrine. I have found that "if you search for God, He will find you" and that often does not involve the institution of the Church itself, but rather allowing the Word of God to work within you. More often than not the Gospel is heard within the walls of a church and pierces the heart, but consider the theif who was crucified with Jesus and learn from that experience. Seek Him with a pure heart through prayer and meditation and the reading of Scripture. Doctrine can come later after much study and thought. Visit Bible believing churches and find one in which you feel comfortable among people who will share your journey with you. They will become like family to you.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟552,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theology wise. There is no church with more reason and intelligence in their apologetics other than the Catholic and the Orthodox. Lutherans and Anglicans are intelligent denominations too; they also can deliver a good debate.
I was an anti-catholic protestant growing up who made it a goal to put down the RCC through scripture but eventually it lead me to be a catholic.

Yes, I am making this stuff as if it where a sport/competition because I believe there is a one true church -- On paper.

The reality is, I advise you to not worry about "what church you should go to" because despite the better apologetics, there is no true church anymore. They are all corrupt and fake.

As much as I defend the theology of Catholicism here; only those who've lived in 3rd world countries would understand why the church is corrupt. Protestant churches are not exempted from this either (read #151); they are just as corrupt and full of lies.

So if you want a good church, don't take a look at the doctrines but take a very good look at the people who are running the church.. or just don't be part of any church community at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Somehow reply did not go through..
---
To: Cis.
It seems that you are saying "Catholicism" has some errors/flaws..
It is good to hear that.

Not just catholicism. All of them do. Catholicism and orthodox is the most biblical and intelligent of the denominations, but that is on paper. In actual, you have to be a blind bias devout to not see the corruption with in. But Protestant churches are also guilty of this.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟678,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Catholicism and orthodox is the most biblical and intelligent of the denominations, but that is on paper.

Their structures, accouterments, treasures and adornments certainly are the most aesthetically pleasing.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Don't you mean your interpretation?
No. I am opposed to the practice of dogmatizing on whatever makes sense to oneself and oneself alone. That applies in this case, too.

How did you come by your interpretation of that verse, considering that the wording says nothing at all about any religious institution, but does speak of the people of God?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No. I am opposed to the practice of dogmatizing on whatever makes sense to oneself and oneself alone. That applies in this case, too.

How did you come by your interpretation of that verse, considering that the wording says nothing at all about any religious institution, but does speak of the people of God?
Because there was one Church at one time, I'm sure it wasn't made for churches that separated from the single Church that existed at that time.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because there was one Church at one time...
I take it that you are saying you just took the word of one of the denominations that says it is the only church that existed at that time.

OK, I asked and you answered. I appreciate it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0