Apr 25, 2012
✟15,129.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my wife's previous relationship she dated a Catholic and with her now just begin a new Christian come to Christ about two weeks ago and this Sunday being fat baptized in our Independent Baptist Church she is asked of me why there's no pictures of Jesus or Mary like in the Catholic Church I've only come back to religion for about three weeks losing my walk with the Lord for about 12 years and I just don't know how to answer this question

Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
Well, there's no pictures of Mary because Mary has no significance in our religion besides being the mother of Jesus. She isn't a saint, she can't be prayed to, and she isn't "holy" beyond all other men and woman. She's a sinner, who is hopefully in heaven after trusting in Christ. Nothing more.

She was blessed and used by God in an amazing way, that doesn't make her special.

Also, what in the world is a "fat" baptism??

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi nhamel,

The easy answer is that there are no pictures of Jesus. What are you going to put up? Some picture of someone else or some artist's rendering and say, "That's Jesus!" Similarly with Mary. Have you got an 8x10 glossy of Mary? If you do, post it for us please. All of the drawings in Bible study curriculums regarding the men and women of the Scriptures are nothing more than how the artist might have thought that they looked like. There are some who think that we may have a reasonable likeness of Paul, but I honestly doubt it.

So, the question then becomes, are you going to put up a picture that most probably looks nothing like the real Jesus or Mary in honor or memory of them? Some how I doubt that either of them, if we were able to ask them, would really feel honored that a picture of same strange person represents them.

Finally, Jesus said that we must worship in spirit and in truth. We don't need false pictures to worship in spirit and they most certainly wouldn't be the truth.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0