Not open for further replies.

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Personally I like to go right to the horse's mouth myself. I have found a lot of information through here that doesn't seem to be anything other than the straight facts. And I have found that what people think Catholics believe is usually wrong. And the basis for why Catholics believe what they believe is also there.

Besides, the site is pretty. :D

www.vatican.va/

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, Devilstomper.
What he actually said was, "The number of people in the United States who disagree with the Catholic Church over what the Catholic Church teaches is very small; a few hundred, perhaps. However, the number of people who disagree with the Catholic Church over what they think the Catholic Church teaches----those number up into the millions."

How right he was......

Blessings,
---Wols.

Upvote 0
O

orthodoxcatholic

Personally I like to go right to the horse's mouth myself. I have found a lot of information through here that doesn't seem to be anything other than the straight facts. And I have found that what people think Catholics believe is usually wrong. And the basis for why Catholics believe what they believe is also there.

Besides, the site is pretty.

www.vatican.va/

Hi. The sites I recommended are straight from "the horses mouth" :) . The first site is called "Biblical Evidence for Catholicism" and is maintained by a Catholic. It would probably have the answers to almost any question you could ask about Catholicism. If you had any other questions not answered by that site, the second link is to a Catholic message board with many, many Catholics qualified to answer your questions. Just to help you out.

"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church- which is, of course, quite a different thing. These millions can hardly be blamed for hating Catholics because Catholics "adore statues"; because they "put the Blessed Mother on the same level with God"; because they say "indulgence is a permission to commit sin"; because the Pope "is a Fascist"; because the "Church is the defender of Capitalism." If the Church taught or believed any one of these things it should be hated, but the fact is that the Church does not believe nor teach any one of them. It follows then that the hatred of the millions is directed against error and not against truth. As a matter of fact, if we Catholics believed all of the untruths and lies which were said against the Church, we probably would hate the Church a thousand times more than they do..." (From the preface to Radio Replies, volume one.)

Upvote 0

onesheep

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
I truly meant no offense in my answer.

I have found that some people argue that the official site is the place to get the correct answers. I, myself, have had that problem when discussing mormonism. Several beliefs stated by some mormons are not what the official LDS church officially states. So it seems to garner more respect when I say it comes from The Vatican site.

It's a really good site to get official statements that can't be argued to be "just a pro-Catholic site" that doesn't have it right. The other sites posted are just as good.

I can also recommend:

www.americancatholic.org
www.catholic.com
www.catholic-forum.com
www.christusrex.org
newadvent.org

Upvote 0
O

orthodoxcatholic

"I truly meant no offense in my answer."

>>None taken. I was just making a comment, and I hope I didn't offend you. If I did, I apologize.

"I have found that some people argue that the official site is the place to get the correct answers."

>>True. The reason I was making the recommendations to those other sites is because they can help explain why Catholics believe what they do as well (i.e., the message board I recommended is just like this one; it has a lot of Catholics to answer any questions you might have).

"I, myself, have had that problem when discussing mormonism. Several beliefs stated by some mormons are not what the official LDS church officially states."

>>Well, uh, us Catholics aren't exactly like the Mormons...:) .

"So it seems to garner more respect when I say it comes from The Vatican site. It's a really good site to get official statements that can't be argued to be "just a pro-Catholic site" that doesn't have it right. The other sites posted are just as good."

As I said above, those sites I recommended were also useful to help explain why Catholics believe what they do, just like the sites you listed below.

"I can also recommend:

www.americancatholic.org
www.catholic.com
www.catholic-forum.com
www.christusrex.org
newadvent.org"

I'm not sure about the first one, but I agree that the other sites can be recommended.

Just trying to help :)

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟278,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And don't forget.....

www.envoymagazine.com

....one of the best Catholic apologetics sources on the web or in print. The editor-in-chief is Patrick Madrid, and some of the regular contributors include Matthew Pinto, Jeff Cavins, Scott Hahn, Fr. Peter Stravinskas, Marcus Grodi, Karl Keating, Bob Sungenis, Peter Kreeft, Dave Currie, and Fr. Benedict Groeschel, among others. Superb magazine!

Blessings,
----Wols.

Upvote 0

onesheep

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
orthdoxcatholic said:
Well, uh, us Catholics aren't exactly like the Mormons...:) .
Trust me, I was raised Catholic. There is absolutely no comparison. My posts to the official Vatican site is for those who are not Catholic and question the validity of other sites.

Besides, I actually prefer reading from The Vatican site.

Honestly, Wolsley, is there anything you do not know about scripture and your faith? ;) We should all be so knowledgeable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟278,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:D Sure there is. Ask me some questions about Scholastic theology or spiritual exercises of Carmelite mystics, and I get lost in a hurry. That sort of stuff, I have to look up. My degree is in History, remember (Phi Alpha Theta, too---brag, brag), not in dogmatics. But I do okay in the theology area, provided I have access to enough reference works. I'm learning all the time.

By the way, Pat Madrid has just published another book, containing the stories of fifteen people who became convinced of the veracity of Catholicism and converted to the Catholic Faith, including a Mormon, a Wiccan, a Jew, and a half-score of various Protestants, including a pair of Fundamentalist missionaries to Guatemala. ;) The title is Surprised By Truth 2, and it's a sequel to the original Surprised By Truth which came out in 1994. The funny thing is that this one is published by Sophia Press (ISBN 1-928832-18-0), while the first one was put out by Basilica. Go figure.

Blessings,
----Wols.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.