US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am the only Christian in my family, which is full of agnostics and atheists. I don't know any other Christians in real life right now.
I get criticized and insulted for almost everything I do. My family members joke about horrible things (like one time they saw in the news that some Mexicans were killed and they laughed and joked about it, because some of them hate Mexicans), argue about almost everything, and don't seem to have anything nice to say about anyone. Except Donald Trump...

Sometimes I feel so weak and discouraged. I cry almost every day because I feel so sad that there are so few people who love God, but at the same time Jesus gives me a lot of hope.
I wanted to ask for some advice on how to deal with this, and not get discouraged. I do have a lot of faith, but at the same time I feel weak.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not positive that I get the whole picture. Although you say there are atheists in your family...and you say that your family members criticize you (and other people in society) for "almost everything you do"...

Do they berate you for being a Christian or follower of Jesus, keep you from attending church, or something like this??

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. Yes, it may be comforting to know that this is a very common problem. We here have heard it before and I know that it's common among people we never talk to online.

If you have not been arguing back against what they say (which could stoke them up), your only tactical recourse may be to either ask them not to interfere with your religious beliefs or denounce them to you, OR, if that's hopeless, suffer in silence, keeping your own beliefs close to your heart.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

doppel

May 13, 2017
Pacific NorthWest
✟7,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pray for them, only the Holy Spirit can change and transform people the way He does. My father is the same way, I understand where his heart is, but at the same time it's not appropriate to be so hateful. Please don't be afraid to share your faith, if the Holy Spirit is with you, then you've got nothing to fear! Fear is not from God, so keep your chin up and remember the one who made you is in control of everything! Remember that you are loved and cherished by the Most High God, so don't be afraid of persecution! Jesus said it himself, "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved" (Mark 10:22).

Don't lose hope and don't be afraid! God is with you always, so press on for the mark! Much love and I'll be praying for you! God bless! <3

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a similar situation in my household. The way I deal with it (besides prayer) is be active in church groups. That way I get to socialize with believers, which helps a lot. Also like Albion says, you find out it's not an uncommon problem and others will relate to you and help you.

Upvote 0

DavidaAC

Apr 26, 2017
US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks. Yes, it may be comforting to know that this is a very common problem. We here have heard it before and I know that it's common among people we never talk to online.

If you have not been arguing back against what they say (which could stoke them up), your only tactical recourse may be to either ask them not to interfere with your religious beliefs or denounce them to you, OR, if that's hopeless, suffer in silence, keeping your own beliefs close to your heart.
I never argue with them, and they don't like it (it's one of the things they criticize me for). They think I'm weak for it.
Thanks for the advice, although they're not going to stop anytime soon. I was asking for advice on how not to get discouraged, because I know that even if my family wasn't like this, there are other people who would still insult me. It seems to be just a part of being a Christian.

Upvote 0

DavidaAC

Apr 26, 2017
US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pray for them, only the Holy Spirit can change and transform people the way He does. My father is the same way, I understand where his heart is, but at the same time it's not appropriate to be so hateful. Please don't be afraid to share your faith, if the Holy Spirit is with you, then you've got nothing to fear! Fear is not from God, so keep your chin up and remember the one who made you is in control of everything! Remember that you are loved and cherished by the Most High God, so don't be afraid of persecution! Jesus said it himself, "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved" (Mark 10:22).

Don't lose hope and don't be afraid! God is with you always, so press on for the mark! Much love and I'll be praying for you! God bless! <3
Thanks so much for the encouragement, and for praying! I'll be praying for your father.

Upvote 0

DavidaAC

Apr 26, 2017
US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a similar situation in my household. The way I deal with it (besides prayer) is be active in church groups. That way I get to socialize with believers, which helps a lot. Also like Albion says, you find out it's not an uncommon problem and others will relate to you and help you.
I want to go to church, but I can't drive there myself yet and no one else will drive me there. But I'm almost old enough to get my driver's license so maybe I will be able to go soon.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I never argue with them, and they don't like it (it's one of the things they criticize me for). They think I'm weak for it.
Whew. That's something like the schoolyard bully telling his victim to go ahead and take the first punch.

Thanks for the advice, although they're not going to stop anytime soon. I was asking for advice on how not to get discouraged, because I know that even if my family wasn't like this, there are other people who would still insult me. It seems to be just a part of being a Christian.
Well, is there no possible way for you to associate with Christian people? Internet...after school groups...anywhere outside the home??

That would seem to be the obvious way to address this problem of isolation, whatever the family insists upon doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, I agree with your thinking, "Paul." I was only trying to find some little, any little, relief in this unfortunate situation that's been described to us. There isn't likely to be a real solution until she's driving and perhaps not until she's able to move out.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
There isn't likely to be a real solution until she's driving and perhaps not until she's able to move out.
I have a bad habit of not checking the age of posters on here. You are right of course. I seem to be coming across several 17 year olds lately...and usually giving them bad advice. :)

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Use google and look up churches in your area. Baptist churches seem to be good about having rides or buses available to youth groups and services. Perhaps someone else on here knows which denominations are likely to provide rides. Are you close enough to ride a bike or walk?
Perhaps there may be a neighbor you could go to church with.

Hopefully our family will not stand in your way if you find a ride to church.

At this point, because they are hostile toward your beliefs, it's a "you believe what you want, and I'll believe what I want" type of situation. If you say this everytime they bring up an argument, criticism or debate they will soon get tired of hearing it and leave it alone. Be polite, be respectful.

As was said before, the Holy Spirit does the convicting and convincing. Pray for them and actively love them but refrain from arguing/debating for now.

You need to find fellowship with other believers.

I'll be praying for your situation, Blessings to you!

Psalm 121
I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From whence shall my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper
The Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The Lord will protect you from all evil
He will keep your soul.
The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in
From this time forth and forever.

Keep calm, be cool....you've got this.

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am the only Christian in my family, which is full of agnostics and atheists. I don't know any other Christians in real life right now.
I get criticized and insulted for almost everything I do. My family members joke about horrible things (like one time they saw in the news that some Mexicans were killed and they laughed and joked about it, because some of them hate Mexicans), argue about almost everything, and don't seem to have anything nice to say about anyone. Except Donald Trump...

Sometimes I feel so weak and discouraged. I cry almost every day because I feel so sad that there are so few people who love God, but at the same time Jesus gives me a lot of hope.
I wanted to ask for some advice on how to deal with this, and not get discouraged. I do have a lot of faith, but at the same time I feel weak.
OH dear davida if it were legal I would raise you as my own.
and you could sing praises to God all day if you wanted.
but I cant. However I have wonderful encouraging news.
Often at times JESUS was left to himself
BUT he was not alone, for always the Father was with HIM
as HE is with you. Just understand this. and focus on the LORD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Hearingheart , has a great suggestion. If your family would allow you to get a ride to church, many churches would be happy to send a bus or van by to pick you up and drop you back off.
Jeremiah 29:11 ,
God has a plan for your life and for theirs, but we don't know what that plan is, so the best you can do for them and your situation is to pray. Sometimes God uses stressful situations in our lives to strengthen us and draw us closer to Him.
Mark 16:15 ,
It is stressful as a christian to know that so many people don't know God or accept Jesus as their savior, this should compel many more christians to share the good news with unbelievers, but sadly many don't get out of their comfort zone to do so.

Some scriptures for when you are feeling discouraged or weak ;
Philippians 4:6-7 , Joshua 1:9 , Isaiah 40:29 , Matthew 11:28

Praying for you and your family, God Bless you

Upvote 0

DavidaAC

Apr 26, 2017
US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, is there no possible way for you to associate with Christian people? Internet...after school groups...anywhere outside the home??

That would seem to be the obvious way to address this problem of isolation, whatever the family insists upon doing.
I have Christian friends online. My family wouldn't try to stop me from going to church (I think), but they won't go with me, that's all. I just have to wait until I can drive.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You Conquer, Davida. You are precious in His eyes, and He has created you for a purpose. I want you to listen to me here: God has created you as a fighter, and to overcome the Devil through the power of our Savior's Love. All the evils you are experiencing and sensing in the world around you are an attempt by the Enemy to deeply wound your heart. You must now begin mastering the habit of spending increasing amounts of time with your Lord Jesus Christ. Separate yourself from those environments. I don't mean abandon your family. But in order to overcome by being filled with His love you are going to have to separate yourself out from constantly being attacked, abused and brutalized emotionally all the time. You need to heal, and that healing will only come from separating yourself out to Him. Find spaces away from everyone else where you can go to be alone with your Lord and pray to Him. If possible, you should seriously begin praying for His empowerment to move out of that home, and the sooner the better. I know you are only 16, but begin praying for this now. By the time you are ready, the way will already be paved by the Spirit of God for you to do so.

For now, you can also make some good friends here, who will pray for you. And if you ask Him, He may provide you with a few really good and faithful friends who can be there for you every step of the way. I know it's not always easy to trust others, but trust Him first, and believe Him to provide you with everything you need to be emotionally strong, healthy and happy again.

So go to the One who truly loves you. He will empower you to be a healing and overcoming force in the midst of all the evils you see, hear and sense in the world around you.

Romans 12:17-21
1 Peter 3:10-16

God Bless,
Your friend and your brother.

Upvote 0