USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For about five years or so, I've been volunteering with my grandfather at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation ministry. He usually gives the message and I sing. But last time he told me he wants me to give the message, and he's giving me a month to get it ready. I guess he wants me to take over for him some day, and he's preparing me for it.

Anyway, I need some ideas. I've co-lead Bible studies before, but I haven't given an entire message on my own. I'm not sure what I should talk about. Any suggestions?

This is just a once a month thing, not a weekly Bible study. So it would have to be a message that could stand on its own, as opposed to being a part of a series. Also, although I'm Baptist, the service has been Pentecostal style and my grandfather is UPC. There are some topics I could teach on but would avoid because it'd be a bit of a shock to them and he probably wouldn't ask me to teach again. Something simple might be best, I think.

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Back to the basics. Preach the Gospel. Preach the message of salvation.

That's one thing I could do. But even then I'd have to be careful. The UPC believe some things about salvation that I don't. They believe that baptism is required for salvation, and that all saved people speak in tongues. I believe that faith alone is required for salvation, which is proven genuine by our works, and I believe they misunderstand and massively over emphasize the gift of tongues.

It's kinda like walking on a tight rope. They're okay with the topic as long as I don't challenge their ways of thinking. I'd probably run out of things to say pretty quickly. I don't know how my grandfather does it every month (or more, if you count his prison services too).

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Pray/Seek the Lord for what you should preach.

Whatever the message is, don't sugar-coat it or
water it down...For the word of God is living and active.
Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Reactions: amandatea
Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟864,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Maybe teach them something you have learned as a Christian that helped you in your walk with the Lord. You could also teach them the importance of God's Word and find Bible verses that go with this. i.e. Psalm 119:11

Upvote 0

bsd31

Aug 16, 2009
South of Canada, North of Mexico
✟17,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's one thing I could do. But even then I'd have to be careful. The UPC believe some things about salvation that I don't. They believe that baptism is required for salvation, and that all saved people speak in tongues. I believe that faith alone is required for salvation, which is proven genuine by our works, and I believe they misunderstand and massively over emphasize the gift of tongues.

It's kinda like walking on a tight rope. They're okay with the topic as long as I don't challenge their ways of thinking. I'd probably run out of things to say pretty quickly. I don't know how my grandfather does it every month (or more, if you count his prison services too).

You don't need to preach doctrine, preach salvation. The good news of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. Leave denominational garbage out of it. Just preach the unadulterated Word.

Reactions: amandatea
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since it's a monthly meeting, is it basically the same "congregation" there for several months or is it a different group each time? BFine is correct - pray about what you should talk about. Whatever it is, we know we can't do without His help - whether it's giving a message or life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How about sharing your testimony of how you came to know the Lord and who He is in your life and all that that entails. That's something you know for sure. Kind of like "silver and gold I have none but such as I have I give unto thee". Peter and John didn't have theology. They had a testimony of a relationship. They had been with Jesus.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since it's a monthly meeting, is it basically the same "congregation" there for several months or is it a different group each time? BFine is correct - pray about what you should talk about. Whatever it is, we know we can't do without His help - whether it's giving a message or life.

It's mostly the same group from one month to the next, but a good number of new people come each month, and the numbers fluctuate.

I had a quick moment of inspiration where I jotted down an outline. I think it'll turn out pretty decent. Still could use some more ideas for future messages, though. I don't want to recycle the same thing each month.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟864,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It's mostly the same group from one month to the next, but a good number of new people come each month, and the numbers fluctuate.

I had a quick moment of inspiration where I jotted down an outline. I think it'll turn out pretty decent. Still could use some more ideas for future messages, though. I don't want to recycle the same thing each month.

Glad you got some inspiration. Now that's the best, although I know we don't always get the inspiration. God bless you as you share.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand you wanting to have some PlanB lined up but I believe Yahweh will give you what you need when the time comes. It could be something that you can't seem to get off your mind, etc.

Plan Bs proposals:
1-Hearing God's Voice,
2-You could contrast having the fear of man (I Sam 13:8, I Sam 15:11, 21, 23, 24) and having the fear of the Lord (such as Prov 14:2, 16; Deut 13:4),
3- define believers based on Scripture such as II Thess 2:16 "Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace," Yahweh thinks about you more than the grains of sand (Psa 139:17-18), He only wants what's good for you (Jer 29:11), and He has a destiny for your life (Jer 29:11-13)!
4 - When Yeshua was on earth and was tempted, He responded with Scripture - and we can too. Our behavior is based on our thought life. We're to take every thought captive (II Cor 10:5) and renew our minds with His Word (Rom 12:2). So when that first thought comes that needs to be eliminated, immediately replace it with what Scripture says such as "I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me." (Phil 4:13). As someone posted the other day, there's nothing in the Bible for us to do that we can't do with His help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just an update since I haven't said anything in a while.

My message is pretty much finished. I was originally going to use it last month, but my grandmother was having surgery that day, so my grandfather called somebody to go in our place.

This month, I would use it, but now I'm sick with bronchitis. They say it can last over a month, and while I would like to be in the kind of condition to speak, I doubt I will be.

Just one thing after another, it seems.

Upvote 0

NewUser777

Aug 31, 2011
✟9,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How about sharing your testimony of how you came to know the Lord and who He is in your life and all that that entails. That's something you know for sure. Kind of like "silver and gold I have none but such as I have I give unto thee". Peter and John didn't have theology. They had a testimony of a relationship. They had been with Jesus.

This is good advice. People want to hear things from your perspective as it relates to the Word of God. People want to hear about your experiences with God, answers to prayer, what you've learned in your walk with Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟864,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Just an update since I haven't said anything in a while.

My message is pretty much finished. I was originally going to use it last month, but my grandmother was having surgery that day, so my grandfather called somebody to go in our place.

This month, I would use it, but now I'm sick with bronchitis. They say it can last over a month, and while I would like to be in the kind of condition to speak, I doubt I will be.

Just one thing after another, it seems.

Hope you feel better soon. The Lord is in control! the day you give your message is the day He will want you to give your message. God bless.

Reactions: GrayAngel
Upvote 0