✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are they humans?

The evidence indicates that they had burial rituals and cared for their elderly. DNA evidence indicates that there also was interbreeding between them and anatomically modern humans. I would conclude that they were human beings.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
If the five (at least) kinds of hominid who lived at the same time had survived independently into the modern world, I wonder how we would treat each other?

Homo sapiens, Neanderthals and Denisovans would all be pretty close to each other in appearance and intelligence... but Homo erectus and Homo florensis would be a weird case, far more human then any animal we know, but still clearly different.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist
If the five (at least) kinds of hominid who lived at the same time had survived independently into the modern world, I wonder how we would treat each other?

Homo sapiens, Neanderthals and Denisovans would all be pretty close to each other in appearance and intelligence... but Homo erectus and Homo florensis would be a weird case, far more human then any animal we know, but still clearly different.
I doubt it would go well...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

And yet they're all extinct but us. Hmm...

Upvote 0

Paul James

Apr 14, 2020
Christchurch
✟3,275.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Put any of these in a business suit and in a crowd of people, and we wouldn't know any difference. Homo Erectus and Homo Florensis are truly human and may have been separated as all the others into separate language groups and died out before their population became large enough to be seen as a particular cultural group living in their part of the world. Even though their skulls were smaller, their smaller brains would have been just as functional as any other humans. Homo Erectus and Florensis skulls have human facial characteristics and have foreheads, which are quite different from the sloped faces and the no forehead characteristic of ape skulls.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Put any of these in a business suit and in a crowd of people, and we wouldn't know any difference. Homo Erectus and Homo Florensis are truly human and may have been separated as all the others into separate language groups and died out before their population became large enough to be seen as a particular cultural group living in their part of the world. Even though their skulls were smaller, their smaller brains would have been just as functional as any other humans. Homo Erectus and Florensis skulls have human facial characteristics and have foreheads, which are quite different from the sloped faces and the no forehead characteristic of ape skulls.
Untrue.

Brains were proportionally quite different in an erectus or florensis.

Looking at the skulls we have, I just don't see the massive gap between "ape" and "man":
evolution-middle.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Paul James

Apr 14, 2020
Christchurch
✟3,275.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Untrue.

Brains were proportionally quite different in an erectus or florensis.

Looking at the skulls we have, I just don't see the massive gap between "ape" and "man":
evolution-middle.jpg
I couldn't tell them apart either just by looking at the pictures, but when the lecturer took those same skulls and actually showed the different characteristics, then it was made very clear which were the ape ones and which were the human ones. He picked up another skull which he thought might have filled the gap, but he found that it didn't. It wasn't an ape-human at all, but was a different category of human. So what he demonstrated was that there were the human skulls and the ape skulls, but none in the middle of ape and human.

By the way, the lecturer is a world expert in examining ancient skulls and bones, so he knew what he was talking about.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I couldn't tell them apart either just by looking at the pictures, but when the lecturer took those same skulls and actually showed the different characteristics, then it was made very clear which were the ape ones and which were the human ones. He picked up another skull which he thought might have filled the gap, but he found that it didn't. It wasn't an ape-human at all, but was a different category of human. So what he demonstrated was that there were the human skulls and the ape skulls, but none in the middle of ape and human.

By the way, the lecturer is a world expert in examining ancient skulls and bones, so he knew what he was talking about.
I'm dubious about this expert. Can you present how they justify their competence?

Modern apes and humans are already pretty similar in structure... and the existence varieties of tool using bipedal "apes" and of varieties small brained heavier featured "humans" seems to me that there isn't a clear difference.

A pointy nose and receded jaw as definitions of "human" so Erectus and Neanderthal get to be "human" seem like arbitrary and pointless classifications compared to upright stance and tool use.

Upvote 0

Paul James

Apr 14, 2020
Christchurch
✟3,275.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm dubious about this expert. Can you present how they justify their competence?

Modern apes and humans are already pretty similar in structure... and the existence varieties of tool using bipedal "apes" and of varieties small brained heavier featured "humans" seems to me that there isn't a clear difference.

A pointy nose and receded jaw as definitions of "human" so Erectus and Neanderthal get to be "human" seem like arbitrary and pointless classifications compared to upright stance and tool use.
In the face of contention which will prove nothing, I will leave it to having my opinion and just allowing to have yours.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
In the face of contention which will prove nothing, I will leave it to having my opinion and just allowing to have yours.
I respect your right to just back away... but if there's something unjustified in my attitude I'd like to address it.

I think reducing disagreements to differences of opinion isn't helpful when points of fact can be defined and discussed. (Especially, when false statements can be discovered and corrected).

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0