Nashville, TN, USA
✟15,445.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
At the General Assembly in 1997, the wording about dancing was changed in the Manual. I don't know what it said exactly either before or after the change, but the change no longer strictly prohibited dancing. I think it says something about dancing being permitted if it is cultural or if it does not solicit sinful behavior (I wish I knew the wording exactly--another good reason to pick up a Manual). Based on this, Nazarenes can dance in certain contexts.

Of course, there is a wide range of opinions on dancing throughout the church, so many individual churches have more strict attitudes about it than others. In the Nashville area, I haven't heard anyone make a big deal about it, and I know a number of Nazarene dancers. It may be different in other areas. I'm an avid swing dancer and occasional dance instructor myself, so I'm content with the attitude that it is permissible.

Upvote 0

Crono

Feb 9, 2002
Nashville, TN, USA
✟15,445.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, Reborn. The implication, therefore, is that forms of dancing that do not detract from spiritual growth or break down proper moral inhibitions and reserve are permitted.

To answer your original question, yes, the Church of the Nazarene is changing, but that's not unusual. The Manual has far fewer restrictions on behavior now than it did 50 years ago.

Upvote 0

Crono

Feb 9, 2002
Nashville, TN, USA
✟15,445.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Joshua Howard said:
The church is following in the footsteps of the world, friends. The standard of Christdom should not be lowered. As for social dancing, I say, unconditionally, NO. God Bless,

Joshua Howard
The church is not lowering any standard if the standard was not Christian in the first place.

Upvote 0

Islander

Jul 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟416.00
Faith
Protestant
Crono said:
The church is not lowering any standard if the standard was not Christian in the first place.
Very true. I'm from a Baptist background that said dancing and alcohol are a sin so when I started reading the Bible and found out what it teaches I was shocked (why don't we have a shocked smilee). Personally I don't drink or dance but I wouldn't mind learning to dance. Dancing and wine are created by God but Satan corrupts them with our help. If done responsibly they are good but if done dishonorably they are a sin.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Joshua Howard said:
The church is following in the footsteps of the world, friends. The standard of Christdom should not be lowered. As for social dancing, I say, unconditionally, NO. God Bless,

Joshua Howard

Does this mean I should not have danced with my husband at our wedding?
Exactly where do you draw the line? I can see "dirty dancing" being a no, but what about ballroom dancing? Even David danced before God.

Celtie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
Joshua Howard said:

Joshua Howard

Is social dancing the culprit and the cause of sin? Or is it our sinful lusts which come spewing forth from our darkened heart? By your understanding, I should seclude myself...never to venture out into or expose myself to anything in the world, for that puts my eyes at risk for all kinds of sins (lusting, coveting,etc). Should we lock ourselves in an empty room, to avoid all possible temptation?

I believe that an empty room would not help, as my sin radiates from my very core....I am the cause of my sin, not my actions...they are a result.

Matthew 15

"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."
12 Then the disciples came and said to Him, "Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this statement?"
13 But He answered and said, "(9) Every plant which My heavenly Father did not plant shall be uprooted.
14 "Let them alone; (10) they are blind guides [2] of the blind. And (11) if a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit."

The Heart of Man

15 Peter said to Him, "(12) Explain the parable to us."
16 Jesus said, "Are you still lacking in understanding also?
17 "Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated?
18 "But (13) the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man.
19 "(14) For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.
20 "These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man."

We need not to spend time picking apart which moments of our day were sinless....there wasnt any. We can be sure of that, but be even more sure that we are Redeemed by Christ! Trust in His Promises and believe them valid for each of one of us, that is the saving faith. To have knowledge, assent, and TRUST in Christ, that His Body was given and His Blood spilled for the forgiveness of sins, for the entire world, but most importantly for you!

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Upvote 0

Crono

Feb 9, 2002
Nashville, TN, USA
✟15,445.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
vibrant said:
when i think of social dancing, i think of clubs. and when i think of dancing at night clubs, i think of simulating sex on the dance floor... i'm glad that the issue of dancing is raised because it brings it to our attention that it isn't always acceptable behaviour.
There is far more to dancing than that. Social dancing does not have to be about sex at all. In fact, I would argue that it usually isn't.

Generally, when people talk about social dancing, they are referring to any kind of partnered dancing in a social context. This can incorporate ballroom, swing, latin, and so on. Being a good dancer requires practice and skill, much like a sport. Most people would not see anything sexual about dancing, and I would even say that it is one of the cleanest activities you could possibly engage in.

Upvote 0

Reborn_in_Christ2003

May 10, 2004
Whiteman AFB
✟8,911.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Crono said:
There is far more to dancing than that. Social dancing does not have to be about sex at all. In fact, I would argue that it usually isn't.

Generally, when people talk about social dancing, they are referring to any kind of partnered dancing in a social context. This can incorporate ballroom, swing, latin, and so on. Being a good dancer requires practice and skill, much like a sport. Most people would not see anything sexual about dancing, and I would even say that it is one of the cleanest activities you could possibly engage in.
With todays clothing and infulences from tv even dancing like that can be very unclean. Yes it isn't always unclean though.

1. Quite a few school dances are very gross and have swing, and latin dances and they can still be very unclean, go to any of the schools I have attended dances at or for that matter national Convention for FFA(don't laugh not everyone there is a hick) there is lots of grinding and body parts showing.

2. At two forensics tournaments I attended a few years ago there was very questionable dancing to very foul music at one, and teachers did okay it. At another there was a swing dancing contest and most female contestants were wearing very short skirts and about no underwear. They danced like this knowing what they were showing and not caring, plus teachers that witnessed let it continue and let one girl who was showing more than underwear continue into the finals giving people more chances to view.

When dancing is done in an enviroment like this even the safest of dancing types can be very bad. That is why I think that as more churches allow it's members to do social dancing,m it should be carefuly monitered and the church needs to let it's youth know what is and isn't right to do.

Just a side note this was about 1 year before I started going to church more than once a month on wednesdays, so I was paying attention and did view all this.

Upvote 0

Crono

Feb 9, 2002
Nashville, TN, USA
✟15,445.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do see some problems with this reasoning. It's like saying that Christians shouldn't participate in sporting events because people swear, drink, smoke, and behave un-Christlike ways toward the other team. The solution isn't to eliminate sports; it's to behave appropriately at the event.

The problem with saying that Christians shouldn't dance because some people behave inappropriately at dances is that it eliminates Christians' ability to change the situation. I can't comment on your examples because I wasn't there, but I can say that I've been to a large number of dances and rarely see any inappropriate activity, largely because the majority of the dancers I know are Christians. If Christians stopped dancing, the only ones left will be the people who do dance inappropriately. I would be very disappointed to see an art form like dancing degenerate because because Christians removed themselves from it.

Upvote 0

Arikereba

Nov 4, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟805.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
CA-NDP
Crono said:
If Christians stopped dancing, the only ones left will be the people who do dance inappropriately. I would be very disappointed to see an art form like dancing degenerate because because Christians removed themselves from it.
I have to disagree. I can't really imagine devout Muslims or Orthodox Jews dancing inappropriately, for one thing. And, truthfully--Christians don't have a monopoly on moral behavior. I was an agnostic for most of my life, and I don't think I've ever danced inappropriately...
Sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Crono

Feb 9, 2002
Nashville, TN, USA
✟15,445.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Arikereba said:
I have to disagree. I can't really imagine devout Muslims or Orthodox Jews dancing inappropriately, for one thing. And, truthfully--Christians don't have a monopoly on moral behavior. I was an agnostic for most of my life, and I don't think I've ever danced inappropriately...
Sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine.
It was not my intention to imply that everyone else dances inappropriately. The point that I was trying to make was that Christians shouldn't exclude themselve from a potentially good activity just because there are others who misuse that activity. What you said is also a pet peeve of mine as well, but since I was making a point in a Christian context, I didn't think it was necessary to refer to other religions in my argument.

Upvote 0

vibrant

now more than ever, i cherish the cross
Feb 6, 2003
✟11,179.00
Faith
Christian
crono

:wave:

when i point out that there is a seedier side to dancing, i'm not saying that because of this, it should be forbidden -- but while some people seem miffed that we should dare be concerned about any activity, it's helpful to have a reminder that there is some rationale behind being concerned with it.

Upvote 0

Philo

Iconoclast
Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
✟559.00
Faith
Christian
Joshua Howard said:

Joshua Howard
The church is certainly going somewhere when a 15 year old boy issues a blanket condemnation of social dancing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.