• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Natural way to quit smoking?

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I started smoking when I was 11, so I've been smoking for 35 years.
Oh boy, that's much harder than I've ever faced. I started when I was 13 and I quit about four or five times in my life. I quit last November. You know, every time you smoke a cigarette your brain has to approve the request. That means every time you smoke a cigarette you are consciously deciding to smoke a cigarette. What this means is there is an argument in your mind for and against the prospect of smoking a cigarette. Problem is for smokers that the reasons for outweigh the reasons against, and until you can give sufficient weight to the reasons why you should not smoke a cigarette, you will always decide to smoke that cigarette. Think for example when you are in a shop and you get the idea to have a cigarette, you know you can't smoke inside so you simply decide not to have that cigarette. However, when you get the urge in your car or outdoors, there is little reason why not to have the cigarette so you are more likely to do it. So until you really get a good reason to never smoke again, it is always going to be difficult to say no when you have ample reason to say yes. I just decided I had had enough of smoking and that I didn't want to do it anymore, so because it wasn't attractive to me any more I found it easy to decide no instead of yes, and I rode out the temptations and am now into my ninth month of smokefree. The dentist told me a few months ago that I have premalignant tissue on my tongue, I tell you, that is always going to be sufficient reason not to have another cigarette!

Upvote 0

RobPhillips79

Jul 28, 2011
Taiwan
Visit site
✟15,205.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would suggest the following:

1. Every day look at pictures of disgusting smoke related diseases
  2. Come to the conclusion that smoking is disgusting and makes you want to puke.
  3. You can achieve number two by smoking many many cigarettes till you puke and then some in a short amount of time.
  4. Imagine how you might die painfully from cancer or related illnesses (People often don't realize or aren't able to imagine how painful pain can be; psychologically and physically).
  5. Slow quitting doesn't work for many people.
  6. Stay away when friends and people are smoking. You can feel like a hypocrite but realize that what you're doing is a good thing and people can change their behavior and still be the same person but with a few changed beliefs.
Also, no one will look down on you if you quit. In fact, they'll often congratulate you. If they're mean, they might just be moody or are not really being good friends.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2012
Cape Town
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God.

If you believe He died for you, gave His LIFE for you, made the lame walk, raised people from the dead...
How come it took so many posts to say it?

God.

Best part is, there is no added cost. No placebo.

If you have faith as small as a mustard seed and say to this mountain 'MOVE FROM HERE TO THERE" it will move and fall into the sea. Lean not on your own understanding. Live the life He gave you and be a walking temple unto Him. There is no greater healer than my Lord. There is no greater lover than my Lord. There is no greater comfort than my Lord.

Those empty feelings when you haven't had a cigarette is that demon of addiction slowly dying and crying out to be fed. Nicotine is highly addictive, but the addiction does not cause the average smoker to wake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, crying out, "Give me a cigarette!" No, but it's a trap. Mostly because it seems so harmless when you look at it. There's no laws against it, though it's become more and more taboo these days - in fact, it being taboo makes that cigarette seem more and more precious to you, doesn't it? I gotta have one before I go to work or pick up the kids or go to eat because I can't have one for a little while. I've gotta have one during my lunch break, I've gotta have one after the kids are in bed, I've got to have one right after I eat because my full belly isn't satisfied with what I've had.

Read your Bible instead.
Sing a song of praise to His name instead.
Pray with petition and thanksgiving for the Life He gives you instead.
Choose to LIVE instead of clinging to your own understanding. Let him become greater and you become less.

Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you. - 1 Peter 5:7

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." - Matthew 17:20

The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you. - Romans 16:20

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. - 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (the passage is on sexual immorality, but it's not so different)

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. - Romans 12:1-2

I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. You will live in the land I gave your forefathers; you will be my people, and I will be your God. - Ezekiel 36:25-28

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. - Romans 12:21

For I can do everything in Christ, who gives me strength. - Philippians 4:13

For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. - 1 Thessalonians 4:7

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word. - 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! For I have overcome the world. - John 16:33

Little Children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. - 1 John 4:4

For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? - 1 John 5:4-5

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who love me and gave himself for me. - Galations 2:20

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. - Proverbs 3:5-8

But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Psalm 19
Psalms 25
Psalms 42
Psalms 46
Psalm 103
Matthew 25:14-30

I guess it's not technically the answer you were looking for, because it is and isn't technically natural. But the God that made this place for you to live in, made the atmosphere and the waters and oxygen just so so that you could live and He could be your God - the God that flung the Sun far enough away that we wouldn't freeze to death or burn in flames - the God that sent His Son for us because He LOVES us enough to give us free will... If that's not the natural cure, I have no idea what is. You can quit smoking on the gum, or the patch, or herbal aids, or by shear force of will. But those are you fighting a monster without God on your side, trying to shoot out alone in the darkness.

The long and the short of it is, we have a greater cure than what our minds can begin to fathom.

The answer stays as God.

Thank you for this great message! I am quitting smoking as of tomorrow, and i have tried quitting a million times in the past. I have been a born again christian now for almost two years and still have not stopped, But i have heard the voice of God tell me "STOP SMOKING" as clear as day! So i tested Him by asking if it really was God, that He would bring someone in my path and if that someone asked me for a smoke, i'd know it was Him. So i lit up and went for a walk, and i swear, in the quietest street in the world, i had someone come up to me and ask me for a smoke. That was about 3 or 4 years ago. I wasn't a Christian yet. I didn't even believe in God! lol

So now, from 1st of Feb 2012 i have decided to really give this another try, cold turkey!

Your post is great. Thanks:amen:

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is it possible to quit smoking through natural methods, I mean without using those nicotine patch or medications. I don’t have much faith in medications.

I almost LOL when I saw this-No disrepect intended, & Maybe I read it wrong-but are we worried about a "HEALTHY" way to Quit Smoking?

ANY LEGAL WAY is acceptable. What is more un-natural than smoking?

Now-If you want to do it quickly--suffering through Cold Turkey is probably one of the fastest methods-simply the denial of the flesh. Won't kill you but it won't be easy at ALL. Most people cave on this and look for a more Padded way out.

I have quit a couple of times only to return to the beast at a later date. I am currently in the process of another attempt on 7 days smokefree so far..

I am using an electronic cigarette which has no nicotine content to get me over the habit, which for me is harder to beat than the physical addiction ( I have smoked for over 20 years) and so far this has been my "easiest" time of it. It is STILL a struggle. So maybe this qualifies as a natural way-that's up to you to decide. It is a nicotine free way. BUT as for me :) I also have on hand nicotine gum, patches, & Wellburition (Insurance does not cover chantix, but I will try it next if this attempt is unsuccessful)

I say if I'm going to war (for me that's what fighting addiction is) I will have in my arsenal every tool I can reasonably accquire. I also hereby solicit prayers from anyone reading this thread who is willing to lend me a hand in my stgruggle.

But to HIPLER I say-anyway is a good way, just keep trying till you get it right. They tell me it's like tieing your shoes...It's rare to get it right on the 1st try :)

Upvote 0

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm trying to quit too. During the week I'm OK cause I'm around people who don't smoke and I go to the gym but on the week ends is when I don't do so well. I like myself better when i'm not fighting cravings and am not a slave to my addiction but can't seem to fully quite when I'm tired and weak. I pray the Lord will give me healing.

Upvote 0

GoTeamGod112011

Jan 23, 2012
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have been smoking since i was 16. i havent had a cigarette in 3 months. what i did was PRAY, surround myself with other christians, PRAY some more. i remember Jesus died for my sins and I didnt want my smoking to be a reason why He had to die. I just kept Jesus on my mind and prayed and read the bible. I will pray for you and for those who have trouble quitting. God Bless you all!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smashleigh17

Mar 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
God.

Those empty feelings when you haven't had a cigarette is that demon of addiction slowly dying and crying out to be fed. Nicotine is highly addictive, but the addiction does not cause the average smoker to wake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, crying out, "Give me a cigarette!" No, but it's a trap. Mostly because it seems so harmless when you look at it. There's no laws against it, though it's become more and more taboo these days - in fact, it being taboo makes that cigarette seem more and more precious to you, doesn't it? I gotta have one before I go to work or pick up the kids or go to eat because I can't have one for a little while. I've gotta have one during my lunch break, I've gotta have one after the kids are in bed, I've got to have one right after I eat because my full belly isn't satisfied with what I've had.

Read your Bible instead.
Sing a song of praise to His name instead.
Pray with petition and thanksgiving for the Life He gives you instead.
Choose to LIVE instead of clinging to your own understanding. Let him become greater and you become less.

:amen:

Moreruthlessjezebel couldn't be more right. The addiction you have is not simply a physical addiction, but also a mental one. You get into the routine of having a cigarette at certain times of the day or in certain situations. You just need to find something new to take up the time you've been spending with your cigarettes instead. Bad habits die hard but they can be broken.

I very recently quit smoking - 2 weeks and 3 days ago and I didn't use any gum or nicotine patches. I'll admit that I tried the gum but after just a single piece I was like nup this isn't going to work.

So I turned to God. I prayed for strength and determination and asked for His forgiveness for my harming my body in such a manner. I also filled my 'cigarette time' by dowloading a Bible App onto my phone and doing Bible readings whenever I felt the need for a cigarette. I can even sit in the presence of my friends smoking now and simply feel grossed out by just the smell, let alone the thought of having one.

Just remember - - - 'I can do all this through Him who gives me strength' - Philippians 4:13 (NIV) :)

Upvote 0

joyusdays

Let's keep it real...with God's help!
Nov 12, 2006
✟8,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My dad was a smoker since he was 15. now has lung cancer. I have friends who smoke and this nurse helps you quit for $5.95 with a special device called try2vape. you can see the forum where it's helping tons of people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christian12

Apr 16, 2012
✟228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I smoked and found it hard to quit , because I enjoyed it , but I felt it was wrong as a Christian because it gave a negative appearance more than anything else , if it offends the weaker brother , then it is a sin to hurt him etc. So smoking is a sin in such cases , so I tried to hide it .
I did eventually quit , it was hard as every day passes it gets easier , the first week is the real hurdle to get over .
A used gum and candies , they helped a lot as well .
Took me a long time to get off the gum , now I just do the candies .
Have a sweet tooth anyhow !

Cigs are tough to conquer , pray for the Lords help , He will help you .

Upvote 0