Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pauls usage of these words to the Corinthians.

Natural
(psychikos) body
Spiritual(pneumatikos) body

1 Corinthians 15:44
it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.

Below we see how Paul uses and contrasts the words natural (psychikos) and spiritual (pneumatikos) below;

1 Corinthians 2:14-16
14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no man.

Paul is clearly contrasting the unsaved with the saved with the natural man and spiritual man. One is controlled by the natural or the flesh while the other is controlled by the spirit/spiritual- Holy Spirit. Just like in 1 Corinthians 15:44 where Paul is contrasting the natural body that is controlled by the flesh with the spiritual body that is controlled by the Spirit. Both are real physical bodies but the difference is one is controlled by the flesh which is carnal and the other is controlled by the Spirit and is spiritual. One has the appetites and desires of the flesh while the other has appetites and desires controlled by the Spirit. Hence a spiritual body is one that is controlled by the Spirit of God in the Resurrection.

Paul’s usage below of spiritual(pneumatikos) in 1 Corinthians 10 where he calls the rock, food and drink spiritual it does not mean an immaterial rock, food and drink but a real Rock, Manna and Water which were with the Israelites in the wilderness wanderings.

1 Corinthians 10:1-4
For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 and all ate the same spiritual food; 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

Now Paul drives home the point of our new literal physical bodies below in heaven from the text in 2nd Cor 5 below;

2 Corinthians 5:1-5
For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. 2 We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. 3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies. 4 While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it's not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. 5 God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit.

You see there is no bodiless spirit men in heaven unclothed(no body) but indeed with a heavenly body(like Jesus) has now in heaven which is flesh and bones like He said His Resurrected body was to His Disciples.

hope this helps,

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You see there is no bodiless spirit men in heaven unclothed(no body) but indeed with a heavenly body(like Jesus) has now in heaven which is flesh and bones like He said His Resurrected body was to His Disciples.
I enjoyed the read! However, maybe you will join me in further study, because after
consideration, I found Paul used other words that are interesting and relevant.
First, consider sarkikos, translated carnal or fleshly

1 Corinthians 3:
And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual but as to carnal,
as to babes in Christ.
2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive,
and even now you are still not able;
3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you,
are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?
4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?

Paul is clearly contrasting the unsaved with the saved with the natural man and spiritual man. One is controlled by the natural or the flesh while the other is controlled by the spirit/spiritual- Holy Spirit.
Here, Paul is addressing the church at Corinth and telling them that though they have been
born again and have received the Holy Spirit, in words and actions they remained carnal, as
opposed to spiritual. -pneumatikos Another familiar verse where sarkikos is in opposition.

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual, (pneumatikos)
but I am carnal, sold under sin.
There are several other interesting verses using [G4559] G4559 - sarkikos - Strong's Greek Lexicon (kjv)

The other interesting word is epigeios>earthly from ge-earth

John 3:12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe
if I tell you heavenly things?

2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved,
we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Anyway, thanks for sparking my interest and leading me into an edifying word study.
Nice work. Of course, I would expect nothing less from you! :)

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Natural
(psychikos) body

Below we see how Paul uses and contrasts the words natural (psychikos) and spiritual (pneumatikos) below;

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no man.

Paul is clearly contrasting the unsaved with the saved with the natural man and spiritual man. One is controlled by the natural or the flesh while the other is controlled by the spirit/spiritual- Holy Spirit. Just like in 1 Corinthians 15:44 where Paul is contrasting the natural body that is controlled by the flesh with the spiritual body that is controlled by the Spirit.
Both are real physical bodies but the difference is one is controlled by the flesh which is carnal and the other is controlled by the Spirit and is spiritual. One has the appetites and desires of the flesh while the other has appetites and desires controlled by the Spirit. Hence a spiritual body is one that is controlled by the Spirit of God in the Resurrection.
And there is more.

THere is difference in their actual composition.

The spiritual body is actually the physical resurrection body, immortal, sinless, and glorious like Jesus' resurrection body, in contrast to the natual body of fallen man, decaying (mortal), sinful and weak.
Paul’s usage below of spiritual(pneumatikos) in 1 Corinthians 10 where he calls the rock, food and drink spiritual it does not mean an immaterial rock, food and drink but a real Rock, Manna and Water which were with the Israelites in the wilderness wanderings.

For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 and all ate the same spiritual food; 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

Now Paul drives home the point of our new literal physical bodies below in heaven from the text in 2nd Cor 5 below;

For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. 2 We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. 3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies. 4 While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it's not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. 5 God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit.

hope this helps,

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And there is more.

THere is difference in their actual composition.

The spiritual body is actually the physical resurrection body, immortal, sinless, and glorious like Jesus' resurrection body, in contrast to the natual body of fallen man, decaying (mortal), sinful and weak.
Agreed

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Natural
(psychikos) body

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no man.

Paul is clearly contrasting the unsaved with the saved with the natural man and spiritual man. One is controlled by the natural or the flesh while the other is controlled by the spirit/spiritual- Holy Spirit. Just like in 1 Corinthians 15:44 where Paul is contrasting the natural body that is controlled by the flesh with the spiritual body that is controlled by the Spirit. Both are real physical bodies but the difference is one is controlled by the flesh which is carnal and the other is controlled by the Spirit and is spiritual. One has the appetites and desires of the flesh while the other has appetites and desires controlled by the Spirit. Hence a spiritual body is one that is controlled by the Spirit of God in the Resurrection.

hope this helps,
Interesting topic. Thanks.
Though not many respondents.

This also applies to life and death. Which is a point not everyone grasps.

There is both physical and spiritual life.
And physical and spiritual death.

We are born with physical life, but are dead spiritually.
We receive spiritual life from God.

Eventually we all die physically.
Those born of the Spirit go on to spiritual life in their spiritual body.
Everyone else goes to the afterlife as spiritually dead.
Though I believe God is still able to grant spiritual life to the dead.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Natural
(psychikos) body

hope this helps,
Great post! You stayed with the text and got it all correct, don't see that often. . .EXCEPT when you made your personal application above, it being contra-Biblical to Philippians 1:21-23, where Paul clearly teaches that to be be absent from the body (death) is to be present with the Lord.

Even though "to live is Christ," Paul desires to depart, to die is gain to him, it is better by far because it means to be with Christ.

All the departed human spirits in Christ are indeed with Christ now.
They are the living "Church Triumphant" (Hebrews 12:22-23)--as distinguished from the living "Church Militant"--who are with Jesus now.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great post! You stayed with the text and got it all correct, don't see that often. . .EXCEPT when you made your personal application above, it being contra-Biblical to Philippians 1:21-23, where Paul clearly teaches that to be be absent from the body (death) is to be present with the Lord.

Even though "to live is Christ," Paul desires to depart, to die is gain to him, it is better by far because it means to be with Christ.

All the departed human spirits in Christ are indeed with Christ now.
They are the living "Church Triumphant" (Hebrews 12:22-23)--as distinguished from the living "Church Militant"--who are with Jesus now.
Agreed !

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0