Apr 9, 2004
somewhere in Michigan
✟23,757.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
oldrooster said:
They do, they teach it in history classes. There are many classes at the universities that you can take on a wide range of Native American subjects. I took one on battle stratagies of chiefs. Good class.
yeah I had two semester of Native American Studies. Something you don't get from a high school ed. Two tough semesters but did well enough to get on the dean's list. But still don't know everything. So what do you want to Know about Native Americans, tateziwin?

Upvote 0

Lexluther

Fairly Nice Guy
Apr 28, 2004
Colorado
✟7,783.00
Faith
Lutheran
In my opinin, it isn't taught adequately (at most schools, at least) unless you take a college course in the subject. In high school classes, Native American perspectives tend to be sidelined to a great extent, and accounts of many events, like the fall of the Aztec empire or the Sioux Wars, are told with a definite white man bias. Certainly native prehistory is often overlooked entirely. But I think these things are in a process of change. Fifty years ago, Native American history wasn't taught at all, or was taught from the basis that indian cultures really were inferior. So, what we have is a marked improvement, and I think will continue to improve as time goes by.

Upvote 0

Real Corona

I like Koala's
Jan 13, 2004
Alaska
✟8,143.00
Faith
Christian
High School courses are increbily weak. At my school we only had a short two week part about the Natives in my Alaska History class. Basically American schools focus on European history and colonial history onward in America.

applepowerpc: The Alaska natives are broken down into 6 different groups. Inuit, Yupiak, Aluet, Tlingit, Haida and Athabaskin.

I know the least about the Athabaskin and I'm probably spelling there name wrong. The Inuit live along the North Shore of Alaska. Right now they're very very rich, however this has brought alot of problems to them. Imagine a culture that thrived based on barerly surviving. Now give them lots of money and a sedintary life style doesn't go together well.

The Tlingit and Haida were well known for fighting each regulary. They based their lives off the sea as their environment obivously dictated. Now they own large corporations with holdings in the Timber and Fishing industry of south east Alaska.

The Aluets did not fair so well. They were the hardest hit by the Russian advances into Alaska. Disease, slavery and the whole works. Then when the Japanese invaded the American government had a brilliant idea to move an mid ocean island people to the rainy South east area. They were given almost no help and dispite being less than 50 miles from the captial of Alaska were allowed to wither and die on Admiralty island.

If you're really interested check out the Alaska Native Claims act. Basically the Alaskan government went to the Native community and said which do you want, reservations or corporations? Smartly the Natives said Corporations and now they live the "white mans life" of rich and poor. With the rich looking down on the poor.

Upvote 0

Xen_Antares

Dec 30, 2003
✟16,490.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Lexluther said:
In my opinin, it isn't taught adequately (at most schools, at least) unless you take a college course in the subject. In high school classes, Native American perspectives tend to be sidelined to a great extent, and accounts of many events, like the fall of the Aztec empire or the Sioux Wars, are told with a definite white man bias. Certainly native prehistory is often overlooked entirely. But I think these things are in a process of change. Fifty years ago, Native American history wasn't taught at all, or was taught from the basis that indian cultures really were inferior. So, what we have is a marked improvement, and I think will continue to improve as time goes by.

I agree, usually we are taught that a bunch of naked heathens ruled the land until God almighty sent white man to kill them and take their land and teach them how to build towers and stuff. I learned more by visiting websites for the Cherokee than anything else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Agrippa

Jan 15, 2004
✟1,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Xen_Antares said:
I agree, usually we are taught that a bunch of naked heathens ruled the land until God almighty sent white man to kill them and take their land and teach them how to build towers and stuff. I learned more by visiting websites for the Cherokee than anything else.

I hear a lot of people saying that on this forum, but I was never taught anything like that here in New England. Neither my textbooks nor my teachers said anything of the sort and I have experience in both private and public schools.

Upvote 0

wildthing

Legend
Apr 9, 2004
somewhere in Michigan
✟23,757.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Real Corona said:
What the hell are you talking about?

I've never heard that term before.

I have heard that some tribes want to be known as West Indians.

In Canada they're called First Nations.

I never heard of "Amerindian". Could you please give us the source for this information so we can see wheather it has any merit at all? :scratch:

Upvote 0

Kokopelli

Stoic seeker of the truth
Dec 11, 2003
the arm pit of the world
✟16,447.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The majority of the history classes I had in Arizona hinted on it. Primarily George Armstrong Custer's brilliant defeat at Little Bighorn and the texts threw some Chiefs names out there. But it was typically the "poor white man being attacked by the savages" garbage that made it to the texts.

The Arizona history course, required for high school seniors, went into a bit more detail, mentioning the Anasazi, Hopi, Navajo, and Apache nations. I felt it was pretty lacking given the rich history of the people before the "white man" came to rape the land.

The best thing I can suggest is to follow what the other users have suggested. Take some college courses on the subject, google the topic (be careful about biased sources) and hit Amazon, etc for books. Taking an archaeology will provide some information (depending the course) regarding ancient American cultures. I remember going into a bit more detail with the Anasazi (hence my username and old avatar) civilization in the "four corners" area of the American South West.

This thread has sparked further curiosity to search for information on the nations that were in Florida before the arrival of the Spanish explorers .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wildthing

Legend
Apr 9, 2004
somewhere in Michigan
✟23,757.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I think the real problem with First Nation History is that a lot of it is oral tradition. Us the rest of us have it written. You might agree with this or not, at this point is unimportant the oppinon that is. May I suggest an author for you to read Angie Debo good insight.

Upvote 0