✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
2 Moons?

NASA Discovered a “Mini” Moon Orbiting Earth

I'm not sure about this one,....but it's interesting if true

"According to NASA, 2016 HO3 is at least 40 meters (120 feet) across but no larger than 100 meters (300 feet) wide, and it has likely orbited our planet for 100 years. What’s more, it is not planning on leaving anytime soon — it’s sticking around for centuries."

Last edited:
Reactions: Jadis40

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If that's true, and if it stays as a Moon (and not just a passing asteroid caught in orbit or something), and we give it an official moon name, I think it should be called Kahani. I'm a huge fan of Haroun and the Sea of Stories, that was the name of the Earth's second moon in that book.

Sadly the moon's more of a quasi-satellite by what that article says, oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD16
Upvote 0

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd prefer a name like "Moon over my hammy". but those Nasa nerds will never allow it.

If they are smart about it, they should auction the rights to name this 'new moon' on ebay lolz

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: digitalgoth
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
2 Moons?

NASA Discovered a “Mini” Moon Orbiting Earth

I'm not sure about this one,....but it's interesting if true

"According to NASA, 2016 HO3 is at least 40 meters (120 feet) across but no larger than 100 meters (300 feet) wide, and it has likely orbited our planet for 100 years. What’s more, it is not planning on leaving anytime soon — it’s sticking around for centuries."

Chances are that earth has had lots of temporary natural satellites throughout its history. Calling it a second moon seems more sensationalist than it really deserves--it's certainly cool, but it's not revolutionary. I'm not trying to undermine the coolness factor so much as just wanting to point out that given the nature of poor scientific reporting in popular media advertising this as "the earth has two moons" is sensationalist buzz talk. Small rocks getting captured by earth's gravity into a temporary orbit should be seen as fairly normal rather than fantastic revelation.

Still cool though. I don't mean to be Buzz Killington over here.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Chances are that earth has had lots of temporary natural satellites throughout its history. Calling it a second moon seems more sensationalist than it really deserves--it's certainly cool, but it's not revolutionary. I'm not trying to undermine the coolness factor so much as just wanting to point out that given the nature of poor scientific reporting in popular media advertising this as "the earth has two moons" is sensationalist buzz talk. Small rocks getting captured by earth's gravity into a temporary orbit should be seen as fairly normal rather than fantastic revelation.

Still cool though. I don't mean to be Buzz Killington over here.

-CryptoLutheran

I agree, probably a slow news day :)

Upvote 0

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Meh ... the IAU will rig another vote and end up changing the dictionary again.

It'll probably be called a "dwarf moon".

I doubt it, its just an asteroid that orbits the earth, therefore they label it a 'moon'

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,913,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I doubt it, its just an asteroid that orbits the earth, therefore they label it a 'moon'
It's probably Wormwood.

Revelation 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

(Yes ... I know ... scientists say it poses no threat to Earth; but scientists can take a hike. The Bible says otherwise.)

Upvote 0

JD16

What Would Evolution Do?
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2017
Melbourne
✟64,888.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's probably Wormwood.

Revelation 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

(Yes ... I know ... scientists say it poses no threat to Earth; but scientists can take a hike. The Bible says otherwise.)

If I read that right, 'Wormwood' is suppose to be a star,.....this is far from it, its just a piece of rock

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,913,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I read that right, 'Wormwood' is suppose to be a star,.....this is far from it, its just a piece of rock
You read correctly.

Scientists changed the word "star" to a more myopic definition.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The title claims it orbits the Earth. The article itself doesn't seem to support that claim.. Instead it describes it as a near-Earth asteroid approx. 100 to 38 times the distance from Earth that our moon is and which orbits the Sun along with the Earth.

• Informative
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's probably Wormwood.

It's 120 feet across. But, yes, probably a star called wormwood that will poison a third of the earth's water supply. Always on the nose with being reasonable AV as usual.

-CryptoLutheran

• Haha
Upvote 0