Name A Movie That Portrays Christians Negatively.

Jonteel

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
✟11,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Michael Medved (a prominent Jewish film critic) [FONT=&quot]said that Hollywood is now portraying Christianity in very negative terms, and this type of smear campaign hasn’t happened since Hitler portrayed the Jews in the 1940’s.[/FONT]

Here is what one critic said, "The idea that you would compare the situation of American Christians to Nazi era Jews is so mind bogglingly absurd no filter safe term can encapsulate it. 2nd October 2008 11:50 PM"

He said that I originated that statement. I didn't. I wish I had, but Medved said that in the middle of the 1990's.

This fellow probably doesn't get to the movies much, so let's help him.

To prove to him that we are being portrayed in a negative way, let's give him a few movies as examples.

THe rule is that you can only mention one movie per post.

I put forth Money train as my first entry. In it Marlon Brando portrays the psychotic Christian sadist.

KentuckyBoy87

Nov 21, 2006
Kentucky
✟8,210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
i see a lot of movies where Christians are portrayed as killers. they kill people who are living in sin. examples:
*Saw (1, 2, 3)
*See no evil
*(i forget the name of this movie, but it has a killer called The God's Hand killer. a dad tells his sons God wants him to rid the world of sins and go kill demons who are masked as real people)

very sad, imo. no wonder people see us Christians as the Pharisees.

Upvote 0

Caduceus

Σκεπτκιστήζ
Apr 30, 2008
✟7,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Greens
Cross of Fire an excellent little American TV movie/mini series shown in Britain in the early 1990s. It is set in the 1920s and deals with David "D C" Stephenson, head of the Indiana KKK, prohibitionist, and Republican leader and his abduction and brutal rape of schoolteacher Madge Oberholtzer. John Heard is chilling as Stephenson!

Upvote 0

Jonteel

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
✟11,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do these Hollywood propaganda film makers upsetting? Is it that we are offended that they don't appreciate our fine qualities?

I see Jesus as the only alternative, and that is to save this nasty world. I therefore feel strongly when we (the only gospel some men will ever read) are portrayed as evil. Therefore, many will go down with the Titanic and never give Jesus a chance.

I nominate Escape from los Angeles as my second movie with a Christian that is evil. The president of the U.S. is a Christian and very evil. The only thing that this movie had to do to turn my stomach.

:cool:

Upvote 0

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
*(i forget the name of this movie, but it has a killer called The God's Hand killer. a dad tells his sons God wants him to rid the world of sins and go kill demons who are masked as real people)
That would be Frailty. It's one of my favourite films. It makes you think if you could actually do what the Dad did if YHWH came to you and told you to do the same thing.

Upvote 0

KentuckyBoy87

Nov 21, 2006
Kentucky
✟8,210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That would be Frailty. It's one of my favourite films. It makes you think if you could actually do what the Dad did if YHWH came to you and told you to do the same thing.

thank you! i saw that movie a while back and it scared the mess out of me.

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I hate horror movies, too disturbing. I recall a movie called "Saved," which took place in a Christian private high school, it had a teenage girl and her boyfriend who was "coming out" with being gay, the girl was trying to save her boyfriend from being gay so she had sex with him but apparently she didn't know that's what she was doing because she hadn't been educated about sex. The girl wound up pregnant, and the boy's parents found out he was gay, they sent him to this reform school place run by fundamentalist Christians to straiten out gay kids. The movie acted like Christians did not accept gays, or pregnant out of wedlock teens, and the girl's mother was in love with, and he loved her back, the principal of the school, they wanted to date each other, he was separated wanting to divorce his wife but afraid of sin. (She was a widow) There was a disabled boy in a wheelchair (played by Macalay Culkin) and a rebellious rude unChristian Jewish girl who mocked religion and holy things who went out with him. The girl who was devoted to God and told to "be a Christian warrior" ended up going nuts, acting like a pharisee and getting in trouble. So basically the movie said that Christians only accept people who follow their legalistic standards.

it was supposed to be a comedy, but Christians are not like that. We know the truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonteel

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
✟11,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It does matter what people think about Christians.

We are the only Gospel some will ever see. Those that witness on the street are few and of unknown success. So, we are it. There are many that watch you right now. If you are a good example, you may be responsible for doing much good.

I was a "catholic" and didn't much bother with religion. I met some really great Christians, and that changed my life. I try to keep that in mind at all times.

Now, if you devote your life to being a really good example, but some film maker decides to crush the positive image you have labored to create, some poor soul may never find Christ.

It does matter what people think about Christians.

I suggest "The Saint." In it a group home for children is run by a religious (fundamentalist) and a really nice girl dies by falling from a balconey. I can't remember, but the religi-nut chases her over the bannister and a dog scares her into letting go of the rail. She plummets to her death and the saint hates christians. Wow, what great propoganda. Yes, this is like a Nazi propoganda film and this time we are the "Jewish" menace.

There are people here that deny that Hollywood is trashing Christians. I believe they are in agreement with the portrayal that Hollywood is making.

It does matter what people thing about Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am also very concerned by how negatively Hollywod portrays Christians, on both the big and small screens. On NBC's, Law and Order, SVU, they frequently show Christians as fanatical crazy murderers or vigilantes. I am shocked by how many of the murders are supposedly done by so-called "Christians" who are shown as religious nuts and fanatics willing to kill to further their cause.

Upvote 0
K

Kharak

I don't believe the issue at hand in the media of film is whether they are trying to depict all Christians as bad, but instead use it as handy plot device and character structure. After all, if it's a religion of morality, its perversion makes for more interesting content. If you don't like it, fine. It is a business, and they happen to aiming for certain profitable demographics. Producers aren't going to make movies with decidedly 'perfect' characters because anti-heroes, violence and disturbed villains sell. True enough, Achilles of the Homer's epic was a big crybaby, Beowulf was a monster killing superhero and so on.

Of course, claiming it's a conspiracy to undermine Christianity is rather silly. I mean, didn't Indiana Jones fight the Nazis? Or should we ever forget the anti-communist Hunt for Red October? Even Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ was distributed by 20th Century Fox: The same company that brought us The Girl Next Door and The Omen.

Upvote 0

SumMer87

Sep 13, 2008
✟7,834.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
SAVED!!!! with mandy moore, and jenna some one, and McCauly Caulkin. But it is one of my favorites actually. lol. even though mandy moores character is like the worst example of a christian, in the end it shows that living life like that doesnt always work. (consequences)... we actually watched this with a group of christians and if you have a good sense of humor about it, its a good movie.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Does Changeling count as Anti Christian?

After all Stewart Northcott's last words were asking that someone pray for him!

But I think he was attended by a priest! That makes it anti Catholic right?

Never mind that the police fare much worse, or that the movie is based on facts and those were in fact his last words and that the one thing in the film that was cleaned up and downplayed was the level of his perversion and evil.

Upvote 0

brimac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2007
Texas
Visit site
✟26,428.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Besides, the twist in the movie is that the people the dad were killing were not people but demons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HighwayMan

Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
most of the movies mentioned so far depict the insane type of Christians, which definitely exist. But to claim that this is somehow attacking all of Christianity is absurd. No one with two brain cells would assume "man, all Christians must be like that" because of what they saw in See no Evil or something.

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned Monty Python's Life of Brian yet, as that one makes many of the traditional Christian practices seem ridiculous and petty. (Albeit in the one scene it actually depicts Jesus Christ it keeps it respectful)

Upvote 0