NAACP in hot water over speech

ChuckVilla

Oct 13, 2004
✟269.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They know the rules just like everyone else. I'm a board member of a 503(c) organization and we have to avoid partisanship like the plague. Anyone who can't obey the rules should loose their tax exemption. Simple enough.

To be honest though - I wouldn't mind getting rid of the tax exemption completely. It's too easy to abuse. Every 4 years this topic comes up again.

Upvote 0

loribee59

Beautiful hearts and minds makes me swoon! :)
Mar 11, 2003
Keizer, OR
✟23,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
rosenherman said:
Good, good, good!
It's about time they got slapped for their hate speeches! They started out doing good works now they are acting as though they are a PAC for the dems.

Not all blacks are predominately Democrats....as I know of one black lady who is a conservative Republican, and ran for the Senate seat twice (she won), and she had worked for several governors in Oregon. Her name is Jackie Winters--you can google her name and she's just everywhere in it. LOL I'm sure she'd have the same opinion about the flap even if she is a member of NAACP.

Upvote 0

soulbrother-NO.1

Aug 10, 2004
✟302.00
Faith
Atheist
Frances Hill, an authority on non-profit groups at the University of Miami Law School, called it "amazing" that the IRS would audit a group based on a public speech.

"Usually you would look for some activity other than disagreeing with policies," she said.

At this point in time, I do not trust anything coming from the Bush government.

Upvote 0

starchild

Even the least of these my brethren.
Oct 19, 2004
✟18,246.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't been able to find text from the speech. Found one from last year, but not from this year... Because the lines in the article sure aren't what I'd consider anywhere near campaigning. If anyone has a link to the text, please post it, and thank you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Street Smarts

Oct 7, 2004
✟1,236.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Rochir said:
if the NAACP loses its tax exempt sttus, so should churches which openly preach that only voting for Bush is "the christian choice" which is a bunch of BS!
Kinda like Kerry's tour of churches in Florida with "Rev" Jesse Jackson and "Rev" Al Sharpton

Upvote 0

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Street Smarts said:
Kinda like Kerry's tour of churches in Florida with "Rev" Jesse Jackson and "Rev" Al Sharpton

You choice ot put quotes around "Rev" for those two seems a little demeaning. They are both legally ordained ministers.

Upvote 0

Street Smarts

Oct 7, 2004
✟1,236.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Sycophant said:
You choice ot put quotes around "Rev" for those two seems a little demeaning. They are both legally ordained ministers.
Is that your best response for the statement that I made? Just for you to speculate my meaning of the quoting of Rev.
Or do you have something to add to the Kerry Campaign going to all those black churches with his PREACHERS helping him along the way.

Upvote 0

Sycophant

Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Street Smarts said:
Is that your best response for the statement that I made? Just for you to speculate my meaning of the quoting of Rev.
Or do you have something to add to the Kerry Campaign going to all those black churches with his PREACHERS helping him along the way.

No, I don't know anything about the visits you are referring to, I am still looking around for some info on that. However I did notice your choice to marginalise the two people you disagreed with by placing quotes around their titles. And that is what I chose to point out at the moment.

For what it's worth, as I still don't really have any information about what you are referring to, yes I would feel that a church leader endorsing a candidate to his congregation would be inappropiate, and (as discussed in the IRS curch thread here) ought to be investigated. However I don't see anything especially wrong with political candidate being invited to speak themselves at these types of events.

I am more than happy for it to cut both ways. If an organisation is granted tax exemption, and one of the conditions of that is that they don't take on a partisan campaigning role in political activities, then they shouldn't do so. Regardless of what 'team' they side with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Street Smarts

Oct 7, 2004
✟1,236.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Sycophant said:
No, I don't know anything about the visits you are referring to, I am still looking around for some info on that. However I did notice your choice to marginalise the two people you disagreed with by placing quotes around their titles. And that is what I chose to point out at the moment.

For what it's worth, as I still don't really have any information about what you are referring to, yes I would feel that a church leader endorsing a candidate to his congregation would be inappropiate, and (as discussed in the IRS curch thread here) ought to be investigated. However I don't see anything especially wrong with political candidate being invited to speak themselves at these types of events.

I am more than happy for it to cut both ways. If an organisation is granted tax exemption, and one of the conditions of that is that they don't take on a partisan campaigning role in political activities, then they shouldn't do so. Regardless of what 'team' they side with.
HEre I will help you out since searching for something you dont want to hear is so difficult.

http://www.dispatch.com/election/election-president.php?story=dispatch/2004/10/11/20041011-A8-01.html
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4124633
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/10/11/MNGST974EU1.DTL
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=154141

Is that enough for you?

Upvote 0

Sycophant

Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Street Smarts said:

Thanks, I had found two of those already.

This is what I thought - Kerry delivering a speech at a church, something I believe has been common for many years and practiced by both parties on and off, and also something I think is acceptable in tax law (based on what I have read about that sort of thing before).

This is quite different from church leaders urging their congragation to vote one way or the other, or as is the accusation here, the NAACP making strong political statements one way or the other to urge it's members to vote a specific way.

Upvote 0

Street Smarts

Oct 7, 2004
✟1,236.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Sycophant said:
Thanks, I had found two of those already.

This is what I thought - Kerry delivering a speech at a church, something I believe has been common for many years and practiced by both parties on and off, and also something I think is acceptable in tax law (based on what I have read about that sort of thing before).

This is quite different from church leaders urging their congragation to vote one way or the other, or as is the accusation here, the NAACP making strong political statements one way or the other to urge it's members to vote a specific way.
Hmmm why didnt I figure you would say this....if you dont think that it is a Pastorial endorsement if they gave the candidate their Pulpit to campaign then you are in some serious denial

Upvote 0

Sycophant

Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't tend to agree that campaigning in a church is really a great idea. But as I understand it, it is allowed and has been very widely practised for a long time. I'm not arguing that it's right but I am arguing that it is allowed.

Upvote 0