My wife and I will be received as catechumens Feb 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KATHXOYMENOC

I am not sure what the plural form of catechumen is but on Feb 4th Fr. Cyprian will annoit us both. I have been updating you guys and gals here on my spiritual journey and I just had to share the good news. :crosseo:

"Catechumens."

Or, in NT Greek, KATHXOYMENOI.

Prayer of the Catechumens (from the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom)

(During the litany of the catechumens, the priest unfolds on the altar table the corporal [antimins], a cloth with a depiction of the burial of Christ.)

Priest: Pray unto the Lord, ye catechumens.
People: Lord, have mercy.
Priest: Ye faithful, pray ye for the catechumens, that the Lord may have mercy upon them.
Priest: That He may teach them the word of truth;
Priest: That He may reveal to them the Gospel of righteousness.
Priest: That He may unite them unto His Holy, Universal, and Apostolic Church;
Priest: Save them, have mercy upon them, preserve them, and protect them, O God, by Thy grace.
Priest: Bow your heads unto the Lord, ye catechumens.
People: To Thee, O Lord.
Priest (in a low voice): O Lord, our God, Who dwellest on high and regardest the humble of heart; Who hast sent forth as the salvation of mankind Thine Only-begotten Son and God, our Lord Jesus Christ; look down upon Thy servants, the catechumens, who have bowed their heads before Thee; make them worthy in due season of the laver of regeneration. Unite them to thy Holy, Universal and Apostolic Church, and number them with Thy chosen flock.
Priest: That they also with us may glorify Thy most honorable and majestic Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages.

Upvote 0
K

KATHXOYMENOC

gzt, I know it's not quite as big a deal as being chrismated but to us former protestants... this is a big step and very exciting for Sothron and his family and for mine too...if I can speak for Sothron :thumbsup:

That's one thing that always strikes me about Orthodox ceremonies. The ceremonies and prayers for becoming a catechumen, and for baptism and chrismation - i.e., for joining the church - are so lengthy and detailed and specific and serious, compared to what I personally experienced and have seen many times in our former low-Protestant and non-denominational churches:

Minister: "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior?"

New Christian: "Yes."

Minister: "Based on your confession of faith, I now baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

(Dunks new Christian)

Audience applauds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's one thing that always strikes me about Orthodox ceremonies. The ceremonies and prayers for becoming a catechumen, and for baptism and chrismation - i.e., for joining the church - are so lengthy and detailed and specific and serious, compared to what I personally experienced and have seen many times in our former low-Protestant and non-denominational churches:

Minister: "Based on your confession of faith, I now baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

(Dunks new Christian)

Audience applauds.

No kidding. We had a service after Liturgy yesterday just for the "installation" of our new Church Council, complete with "Lord have mercies", and blessings by the Priest upon each council member. It was great!

Mary

Upvote 0

lsg03

Nov 3, 2006
✟15,215.00

(Dunks new Christian)

Audience applauds.
That's one of many things that really drew me into the Orthodox faith.I thought I knew what reverence was, then I went to an Orthodox church....;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.