My view of Calvary Chapel. Your thoughts.

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been attending Calvary Chapel churches since I went up for an altar call led by Pastor Chuck Smith in 1977. Fortunately the Calvary Chapel church I attend now does NOT go along with Broderson's split.

Brodersons split? I hadn’t heard. Could you tell me a little about it? and Greg Laurie is SBC.

Upvote 0

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟62,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Brodersons split? I hadn’t heard. Could you tell me a little about it? and Greg Laurie is SBC.
Yes, there was a separation and most Calvary Chapel attendees don't even know it. It happened in 2016, here's the story. Calvary Chapel Splits in Two.

I'm not the one who mentioned Greg Laurie. I know he went out on his own, but I'm not aware of an SBC affiliation. I thought he was non-denominational.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've really been drawn to things I've learned about Calvary Chapel. I grew up in an Assembly of God church and have no issues with most of the doctrine. Calvary Chapel seems to be a Church that falls in the middle between Southern Baptist and the Assembly of God teachings and theology. Calvary Chapel seems to have a strict adherence to the scripture. Curious if any Calvary Chapel members were ever AOG?
For what it's worth, Chuck Smith was a Foursquare ordained pastor.

Chuck Smith (pastor) - Wikipedia

As I understand it, AoG, Pentecostal and Foursquare are all under the same general set of ideas.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Curious if any Calvary Chapel members were ever AOG?
They don't have 'members.' No one votes on ANYTHING. It's a one man vote. The pastor votes and his hand chosen board member friends go along with whatever he wants.

Upvote 0

Ninkies

Nov 5, 2023
California
✟625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was saved in the early 80s at Calvary Costa Mesa, and I still basically consider it my home church. I grew up in a home that was basically not religious. My parents claimed Catholicism, and we went to church maybe twice, but it was a ritual and not life transformative. I went to a Kathryn Kuhlman meeting in the very early 70s because of one of my older sisters, but it seemed weird to me and they came around and asked people if they wanted to receive Jesus. I laughed at them. I was maybe 10.

Anyway, I am super grateful for pastor Chucks verse-by-verse teaching through the Bible, and am also grateful that I learned the Bible being taught through the KJV.

This is just my personal opinion, but I believe that pastor Chuck wanted Jon Courson to be his successor in the ministry. Pastor Jon came down in the early 00’s and took over Tuesday night studies. I went to almost every one and it was like there was a revival taking place. There certainly was personal revival with me.

Anyway, around that time Peter Jon became sick so pastor Jon left. Years later of course most of us know that PJ went to be with the Lord so overall there was a lot going on at the time.

Not naming them Calvary Chapel has had a number of pastors that had issues, but Ive never known CC to not deal with the problems for the most part.

As much as I love Brian and Cheryl, I feel like pastor Jon would have been a better fit to take over. I dont know what the Lord has in mind for Costa Mesa, but it has become smaller and both Brian and Cheryl have become more personally accessible if that makes any sense. I think personal accountability between believers in an environment where there is authentic agape love for each other and trust is super important to every believer. Calvary is the only place where I found anything even remotely close to that.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Ninkies

Nov 5, 2023
California
✟625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They don't have 'members.' No one votes on ANYTHING. It's a one man vote. The pastor votes and his hand chosen board member friends go along with whatever he wants.
The church votes for board members. As a part of the congregation I personally have voted many times.

• Informative
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Chuck Smith wrote about this Moses Model of church polity in Calvary Chapel Distinctives, which is an interesting read.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I was saved in the early 80s at Calvary Costa Mesa, and I still basically consider it my home church. I grew up in a home that was basically not religious. My parents claimed Catholicism, and we went to church maybe twice, but it was a ritual and not life transformative. I went to a Kathryn Kuhlman meeting in the very early 70s because of one of my older sisters, but it seemed weird to me and they came around and asked people if they wanted to receive Jesus. I laughed at them. I was maybe 10.

Anyway, I am super grateful for pastor Chucks verse-by-verse teaching through the Bible, and am also grateful that I learned the Bible being taught through the KJV.

This is just my personal opinion, but I believe that pastor Chuck wanted Jon Courson to be his successor in the ministry. Pastor Jon came down in the early 00’s and took over Tuesday night studies. I went to almost every one and it was like there was a revival taking place. There certainly was personal revival with me.

Anyway, around that time Peter Jon became sick so pastor Jon left. Years later of course most of us know that PJ went to be with the Lord so overall there was a lot going on at the time.

Not naming them Calvary Chapel has had a number of pastors that had issues, but Ive never known CC to not deal with the problems for the most part.

As much as I love Brian and Cheryl, I feel like pastor Jon would have been a better fit to take over. I dont know what the Lord has in mind for Costa Mesa, but it has become smaller and both Brian and Cheryl have become more personally accessible if that makes any sense. I think personal accountability between believers in an environment where there is authentic agape love for each other and trust is super important to every believer. Calvary is the only place where I found anything even remotely close to that.

That sounds nice actually. These are good attributes in a church.

Upvote 0

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Aug 20, 2019
Cheyenne
✟1,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've attended several AOG churches. In recent years the ones I've visited have trended towards apostasy, in my opinion. I'm currently a member of a Calvary Chapel and like it very much. I've visited many Calvary Chapels around the country, and I liked the vast majority of them. If I were settling in the town where I visited a Calvary Chapel, I might have become a member of about 75% of them.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've attended several AOG churches. In recent years the ones I've visited have trended towards apostasy, in my opinion. I'm currently a member of a Calvary Chapel and like it very much. I've visited many Calvary Chapels around the country, and I liked the vast majority of them. If I were settling in the town where I visited a Calvary Chapel, I might have become a member of about 75% of them.

We were members of Calvary Chapel of Honolulu back in the early 90s. Still one of the two best congregations we were ever members of (as a military family, we moved around a lot). That was the only congregation I've known that kept a widows and single mothers list. The pastor said that when the Lord asked him how he was taking care of widows and fatherless children, he intended to be able to smile at the question.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
We were members of Calvary Chapel of Honolulu back in the early 90s. Still one of the two best congregations we were ever members of (as a military family, we moved around a lot). That was the only congregation I've known that kept a widows and single mothers list. The pastor said that when the Lord asked him how he was taking care of widows and fatherless children, he intended to be able to smile at the question.

The Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church is one of several Orthodox churches where the ancient custom of caring for widows is preserved, and indeed I don’t think anyone does it better than the Ethiopians, for the effort they put into ensuring widows are fed and properly taken care of is remarkable.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That sounds lovely! :)

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0