My table comparing how Americans and Australians vote. Can America learn something from Australian compulsory voting?

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,337.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys,
what do you make of the practical and political differences in how we vote?
Both about voting on the day, and how compulsory voting changes the nature of the campaigns leading up to the election?

1694689940159.png

Reactions: AlexB23

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hi guys,
Both about voting on the day, and how compulsory voting changes the nature of the campaigns leading up to the election?

View attachment 336170

Only the first of these items (a claim, rather than an observation) is tied to compulsory voting. The rest have nothing to do with compulsory voting versus free voting.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟898,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi guys,

View attachment 336170
Today many states do offer early voting, Saturday voting as to poor workers employers are REQUIRED to give you time off to vote (particularly if you are in a state that does not allow early no-excuse voting.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,337.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Today many states do offer early voting, Saturday voting as to poor workers employers are REQUIRED to give you time off to vote (particularly if you are in a state that does not allow early no-excuse voting.
Many states? Not all states??

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,857.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Only once has it taken me 45 minutes to vote. And to get to that mark I have to include my time getting to the voting site. Not driving to the voting site, bicycling there!

Now, not counting transport time it takes under 45 seconds as voting means dropping off my filled out ballot into a drop box.

Also, districts are NOT changed frequently in the United States. Rather they are changed every 10 years based on the most recent census. Those changes are made to keep each district approximately the same population. If a state had minimal changes in population (including just where that population was) there would rarely be changes to the districts.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟898,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Many states? Not all states??
Yes, there are only three states that require an excuse to vote early. I just looked it up. The remaining states have at LEAST one day of early voting and 43 states ( so all but seven total) allow early voting for at LEAST a week (seven days) before hand. I live in GA and I know for a fact that counties are required to have at least one Saturday of voting. It may be two Saturdays required and if a county wishes they may have it all the Saturdays leading up to an election during the early voting time.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No mention of the fact Australia uses Ranked Choice Voting whereas the US is stuck with Plurality voting? (plurality voting is possibly the worst possible voting systems in term of incentivizing a voter to vote for who they think is the best candidate) To me that's the biggest difference between the two countries when it comes to voting.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,491.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Australia has postal voting for those who can't or don't want to go to a local polling booth. I'd assume the USA has something similar.

Occasionally postal votes sway the final (electorate) vote one way or the other as they're the last to come in and be counted.

For some reason the last time I voted was the longest I've ever queued. I can't remember the reason, but they might have closed another booth.

Anyway it took ages. At other times I've been in and out in a few minutes.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys,

View attachment 336170
My state does all voting by mail, which is very convenient. That throws out everything but the compulsory line on your list, but since people can vote at their convenience and just drop the ballot in the mail, there's more motivation to participate.

• Agree
Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Australia has postal voting for those who can't or don't want to go to a local polling booth. I'd assume the USA has something similar.

Occasionally postal votes sway the final (electorate) vote one way or the other as they're the last to come in and be counted.

For some reason the last time I voted was the longest I've ever queued. I can't remember the reason, but they might have closed another booth.

Anyway it took ages. At other times I've been in and out in a few minutes.

No, the "US" does not have something similar -- as votes in the US are handled by the state and not the federal government. Yes, some states allow anyone to vote by mail. Others states, such as Texas, only allow you to vote by mail if you are physically out of the state on the day of the election or a senior citizen that is unable to get to a polling place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hi guys,

View attachment 336170
America’s population is simultaneously too exceptional/large/diverse/free for any of that Aussie nonsense.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've long thought that compulsory voting cuts out a lot of the worst nonsense designed simply to get the apathetic moving on voting day. I suspect that the other big difference is that we don't vote for our head of state; we have no equivalent to presidential elections.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,491.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It seems compulsory voting was bought in to "improve the low rates of voter turnout". At heart we're probably just as disinterested as Americans except we have to vote.

Compulsory voting

In 1924, to improve the low rates of voter turnout, amendments to the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 were made. Compulsory voting was introduced and this resulted in a dramatic increase in voter turnout at the following election.
Larnievc - "America’s population is simultaneously too exceptional/large/diverse/free for any of that Aussie nonsense."
There's probably some truth in that as Australia's population in 1924 was about 5.8 million, and even now is only about 26.8 million.

The US population in 1924 was about 114 million and is now getting on for 340 million.

There is an article here which suggests that compulsory voting in the UK would give better representation in parliament. Younger people are less likely to vote than older people, and low income earners are significantly less likely to vote than the wealthy, which maintains the class divide.

UK Council elections only attract about a third of the enrolled voters, which means a determined bloc with a dedicated voter base can sway local elections towards their platform.

... and turnout for the 2021 local elections in England was barely more than a third.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It seems compulsory voting was bought in to "improve the low rates of voter turnout". At heart we're probably just as disinterested as Americans except we have to vote.
It seems it helps keep track of everyone and keep them in line, and lets them think they have some say so even if they don't - an artificial moral booster that's widespread throughout the world where it is used.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,519.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It seems it helps keep track of everyone and keep them in line, and lets them think they have some say so even if they don't - an artificial moral booster that's widespread throughout the world where it is used.
Keep track? Well, they have my name and my address. Which is kinda handy if you need to vote. I'm not sure what is meant by 'keep them in line.' And the fact that we vote does mean we have a say so. We don't always get the person we vote for. But that's what democracy is all about.

And widespread wherever it is used? And not where it isn't, I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In order to make compulsory voting viable it must be easily accessible.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Has anything good happened in Australia that might not have happened a lot earlier if there was no voting involved ?
I read this four times and still cannot make sense of it.
….
Norman coordinate.

Upvote 0