✟15,559.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi.
This summer my sister told me that she's pregnant and she was very happy about it. She wanted to run some tests and she said she wanted to know if the baby was healthy. I asked her if she would abort the baby if it had downs syndrome (shes not christian, and we are not from a christian family) and she said no, she wouldnt, because thats not life threatening. And i felt comforted to hear that.

She took the test, the ultra sound showed a cutie, 12 weeks old, and me and my famely went home (we live far away from each other).

Yesterday i got a SMS where she told me the baby wasnt healthy, and that shes not pregnant anymore. She aborted her baby and is heartbroken. Im heart broken too. It hurts. I mourn for the baby that I already started to love, and I feel really bad because it had gone 2 weeks since she would get the results, but i didnt call her to check on her if she was alright. I just presumed she was, for some reason I cannot understand when looking back.

I asked her what was wrong with the child, but she didnt want to answer. I asked her if it was downs syndrome, and she said, while crying, she didnt want to talk about it.
I am pretty sure it was because the baby had downs syndrome.

I comforted her the best I could. I am pro life, she knows that, and she knows my opinion, but I'm also her sister, and I also have a loving God.

I feel so angry with myself. If I had called her the day they got the answers of the tests, maybe I could have been able to comfort her, to encourage her to keep the baby, speak life into her. I believe she was scared, and now the baby is gone. And im partly to blame for that.

I know in my heart that this baby was precious.

I work with women with risk pregnancies as a volunteer. Im very pro life. I am a spokes person and pro life advocate, which is pretty uncommon in my country. But I dont know how to handle this.

I wasn't there for her when I should have been, I miss this baby in my heart, and it hurts badly. I pray to the Lord but nothing feels comforting right now.
Can you please give me some advice.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The deed is done, a life has been lost. Best just be there for your sister. Sounds as if she is hurting, too. Losing a wanted pregnancy is always hard, and probably more so if you had a hand in it - especially as baring gross abnormalities like anencephaly, ultrasound or such aren't absolute.

Just be there for her. Help her. She will come to some terms with her own actions, but this is like the woman caught in adultery. We are all sinners, and now is not the time to cast stones. Show her the love of Christ.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi.
This summer my sister told me that she's pregnant and she was very happy about it. She wanted to run some tests and she said she wanted to know if the baby was healthy. I asked her if she would abort the baby if it had downs syndrome (shes not christian, and we are not from a christian family) and she said no, she wouldnt, because thats not life threatening. And i felt comforted to hear that.

She took the test, the ultra sound showed a cutie, 12 weeks old, and me and my famely went home (we live far away from each other).

Yesterday i got a SMS where she told me the baby wasnt healthy, and that shes not pregnant anymore. She aborted her baby and is heartbroken. Im heart broken too. It hurts. I mourn for the baby that I already started to love, and I feel really bad because it had gone 2 weeks since she would get the results, but i didnt call her to check on her if she was alright. I just presumed she was, for some reason I cannot understand when looking back.

I asked her what was wrong with the child, but she didnt want to answer. I asked her if it was downs syndrome, and she said, while crying, she didnt want to talk about it.

I comforted her the best I could. I am pro life, she knows that, and she knows my opinion, but I'm also her sister, and I also have a loving God.

I feel so angry with myself. If I had called her the day they got the answers of the tests, maybe I could have been able to comfort her, to encourage her to keep the baby, speak life into her. I believe she was scared, and now the baby is gone. And im partly to blame for that.

I work with women with risk pregnancies as a volunteer. Im very pro life. I am a spokes person and pro life advocate, which is pretty uncommon in my country. But I dont know how to handle this.

I wasn't there for her when I should have been, I miss this baby in my heart, and it hurts badly. I pray to the Lord but nothing feels comforting right now.

You're Not Alone: Healing Through God's Grace After
Jennifer O'Neill - 2005

Forbidden Grief: The Unspoken Pain of Abortion
Theresa Karminski Burke, ‎David C. Reardon

Men and Abortion: Lessons, Losses, and Love
Arthur B. Shostak, ‎Gary McLouth

Cradle My Heart: Finding God's Love After Abortion
Kim Ketola
KREGEL PUBLICATIONS / 2012

Redeeming Grief. Abortion and Its Pain
Anne R. Lastman
GRACEWING PUBLISHING / 2013

Keywords: abortion grief - Christianbook.com

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel for her. I recently had a baby-- circumstances weren't ideal( dad isnt in the picture, not married, ect) but i still kept my baby and he's been such a joy.

I remember during an ultrasound their was a light spot on his heart and i was a carrier for alpha thalesemia but fastfwd my baby is healthy. Even if he wasn't id still keep him.

I hope your sister will be ok. Just be there for her now and dont beat yourself up.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi.

Dear sister,

Remember David, the son of Jesse, king of Israel has lost children too. He was filled with griefs and sorrows that the child died because of their sins.
So you could pray on your behalf of your sister and her husband like David in Psalm 51.

Pray that your sister and her husband receive God’s mercy.
Pray that God’s overflowing grace will comfort them in times of their grief and sorrows.
Pray that God will give them strength in their inner person through His Holy Spirit that Christ Jesus may live in their hearts.

Also, you could share to your sister and her husband the importance for giving to the orphans, the fatherless, and the motherless.

Yes, you could also share to your sister and her husband when they meet newborns and children : tell them to humble themselves and and ask the children’s parents to pray and bless the fruit of their womb in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

God will see what your sister and her husband have done —- God will turn and show His grace to them.

Remember that God shows grace to David with a new born son, Solomon.

Have faith in Christ Jesus our Lord !
For when Jesus our Lord died on the cross, He suffered our pains !
Our Lord is the Man of Sorrows !
He knows our sorrows !
When is it for our turn to comfort Him ?
May Father God give us wisdom and strength to comfort Jesus Christ, our Heavenly Bridegroom.
To God be the glory forever.
Amen

GBU

Upvote 0