Not open for further replies.

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
the hearing and understanding is a miracleof the ears? yes i agree.... i dont believe they were speaking in human tongues, and in that situation it was in all likelyhood supremely chaotic...

i have been amazed how at certain times the environment can be very noisy yet ONE sound stands out among the rest, not that its louder, not that it is of any particular sound... just that it seems you were meant to hear it... have you had that experience, anyone?

i am very excited about getting to know you all more... Lynne

Upvote 0

PatrickM

What? You're not a Fightin' Irish fan????
Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
crystalpc said:
That is true.
However, in Acts the scripture we were talking about, every man heard in his own language. If all were speaking at the same time in a different language no one would be able to hear. That is why the un has earphones could you imagine if all the interpreters were speaking at the same time! No, I think it was more of a miracle of their ears.

Good point. Elsewhere a post was made with some interesting points regarding the amount of people in the upper room when the Holy Spirit fell. A close examination of both Acts chapters 1 & 2 may indicate only the 12 apostles were there, or at least a smaller number than the 120 typically taught.

Food for thought, as this would make it little less "confusion" as they spoke.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Heinrich said:
I wish somebody that has the gift of speaking in other tongues of men or the gift of interpretation can post in this forum for a change since a think somebody like that would have some respect.

I met one girl once who told me she spoke in a tongue which was then interpreted, and she also prays in a tongues which is not interpreted or understood...

Now if all tongues are like Acts 2 what will be the use of the gift of interpretation? mmm?

Anyways as I said somebody with some experience in the field should maybe post :)
I'm not sure what you're saying here Heinrich, but there are a few of us who do operate in both gifts and are posting here.

During my time alone with God, I pray and sing in tongues frequently. During church services I do operate in the "gift of tongues with interpretation". When I first started stepping out in this gift. . .in my early 20's. . .I did only the tongue and then someone else interpreted. Usually it was the Pastor, who operated in both tongues and interpretation. It was not until, I'd say the last 10 yrs that I stepped out and began interpreting as well.

At this point in time I believe the Lord is trying to raise others up to begin moving in this gift as well and I find that while I can give the tongue, I most often just speak the Word in english. And more frequently than not, it is in song form.

I believe as it's already been mentioned, there are two differing way's of operating in tongues. I believe one is for any believer who is willing to trust God's word and step out and begin to praise and worship Him in the spirit. It is not required that the heart be perfect in order for you to pray in the Spirit, praying in the Spirit though, will bring the needed changes in the heart. I believe we can pray this way alone and in the congreation. Not screaming out louder than others but just a normal conversation and/or prayer voice. Because this is conversational prayer, much the same way as everyone praying out loud in english, or spanish, ect. It makes no difference whether it's in tongues or not. . .it's between the prayer and God.

However, the gift of tongues is handled differently. When one person begins to speak out louder than the others or at a moment of quietness begins to speak then generally there needs to be an interpretation given. I remember when I first started out I was so afraid that there would be no interpretation but there always were, with exception to once. It was at another church that I was not a normal member of and I vowed to myself that day, that unless I knew I had the interpretion as well I would never do it again, where I did not know whether there was an interpretator or not.

The two or three at the most I tend to go more with that relating to "one" person giving a word of tongues, interpretation and/or prophecy more than three times. There are some who are learning to step out while there are others who flow like the dam has been opened. :D

The reason, I believe there is so much confusion on the issue is that many churches do not teach these things. They don't allow their people to step out and learn from mistakes. And those who do operate in it don't seem willing to help mentor those coming up. I delight in seeing some of the one's newly stepping out taking that step. I know what they're going through and I know where they'll be as they continue to pursue.

I remember the very first time I ever gave a word in tongues. I was so terrified of being repremanded (not my Pastors fault), that I tried to hold it back and by the time I could no longer hold it in, it came out like a burst baloon. LOL. I'm so thankful my Pastor did not pounce on me for that and forbid me until I could do it perfectly. As I remember, he interpreted it and as time went on, I learned to not hold it in until I burst. LOL.

God is good.

Upvote 0

crystalpc

Veteran
Jan 11, 2004
Just this side of heaven
Visit site
✟16,754.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Politics
US-Constitution
PatrickM said:
Good point. Elsewhere a post was made with some interesting points regarding the amount of people in the upper room when the Holy Spirit fell. A close examination of both Acts chapters 1 & 2 may indicate only the 12 apostles were there, or at least a smaller number than the 120 typically taught.

Food for thought, as this would make it little less "confusion" as they spoke.
This is true. However, the fact that it was of a morning, and that every man heard it in his own language, and several languages were represented, even if only one spoke, if it was in several languages the time factor would be enormous. That day over 3000 people heard and were added to the church. Others heard gibberish, and thought they were drunk. It still seems to be a miracle of the ears rather than the tongue itself.
I have heard about this happening in some meetings where a person who was speaking in what was clearly tongues (a heavenly language) to all who heard, except maybe one person who would hear it in their birth language Italian, polish. Yet no one else heard it in italian, or polish.

Have you ever read Sherills book they speak with other tongues. He would tape record people speaking in tongues and found that they were not any known earthly language. The patterns were the same though, and at times others heard their own languages. He was examining it as a phenomena, but it made a believer out of him!

Upvote 0

PatrickM

Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Quaffer said:
The reason, I believe there is so much confusion on the issue is that many churches do not teach these things. They don't allow their people to step out and learn from mistakes. And those who do operate in it don't seem willing to help mentor those coming up. I delight in seeing some of the one's newly stepping out taking that step. I know what they're going through and I know where they'll be as they continue to pursue.
How true! So many churches seem to think the knowledge and excersice of these gifts will be made by osmosis or something ;)

It is very helpful of you to help those out. It appears some with gifts are worried someone else might take their prominence away from them, sadly.

Upvote 0

PatrickM

Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
crystalpc said:
It still seems to be a miracle of the ears rather than the tongue itself. I have heard about this happening in some meetings where a person who was speaking in what was clearly tongues (a heavenly language) to all who heard, except maybe one person who would hear it in their birth language Italian, polish. Yet no one else heard it in italian, or polish.
The more I contemplate this, and examine Acts 2:2-12, you might have something here! I don't think anyone should be dogmatic on this, but it is an interesting thought that the miracle was in the people's hearing of their language, rather than what was spoken was human language.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
PatrickM said:
How true! So many churches seem to think the knowledge and excersice of these gifts will be made by osmosis or something ;)

It is very helpful of you to help those out. It appears some with gifts are worried someone else might take their prominence away from them, sadly.
Sad indeed. It's pure falacy for any of us to think that operating in a gift gives us prominence. LOL. Once the vessel being used can get over themselves, then and only then can God "really" move through them as a gift to others. Otherwise I think the vessel is more like that noisy gong and clanging cymbal. . .obedient in action but not in heart.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.