Visit site
✟8,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Let me begin this post by stating that my Church is not (yet) recognized by any of the Oriental Patriarchs. We fully admit this although our succession does include Abuna Basilios of Ethiopia. I let you know this because I have no intention of being dishonest with any of you.

Our Metropolitan has been in contact with the offices of two different Oriental Patriarchs and it is our hope that within our generation we will once again be in communion with our Oriental Orthodox brothers and sisters as well as hopefully some great day all of those who claim Christ.

I am here to ask you permission to partake in your discussions. I assure you I will not be contentious or argumentative with you my brothers and sisters. I am currently considered a seminarian, I am completing an advanced degree in Theology from a Non-Orthodox School and am working with our Metropolitan to attempt to make up for the obvious gaps and misinformation.

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!

Tom

copticorthodoxy

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
✟25,993.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You are welcome to post in the Oriental Orthodox forum ..But i think you shouldn't hold the Oriental Orthodox faith icon till your church regognized as Canonical Oriental Orthodox Church .

So , what is your Church , its history , its roots ??
why you would like to join the Ancient Orthodox Churches?

Upvote 0

ReadingForOrders

Mar 2, 2008
East of the Mississippi (probably)
Visit site
✟8,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Thank you for your welcome!

I cannot evidently post links yet but I will as soon as I am permitted. We fully admit that we are not yet considered Canonical and I do not wish to misrepresent myself. While I consider our body as part of the One Holy Apostolic and Catholic Church I realize that this will not be accepted by most unless and until we are in Communion with one of the Patriarchs. I hold no hard feelings for this and understand it.

For what it is worth our body was one of those that were planted here (U.S.) and then became ambiguous and almost disappeared from existence. As I understand it we were just kind of forgotten and left by ourselves. This of course is something that we are working on correcting.

I have visited the Abouna of the local Coptic Orthodox Church and he has been very gracious in assisting me with studies etc. I am hoping he will help me to study Aramaic, as I will be taking both Greek and Hebrew at the Catholic school I am attending.

By the way I don't mind changing the cross to something more generic how do I do it?

Tom

Upvote 0

Anglian

let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Tom,

Welcome here. Do tell us something about your Church. My own Church, the British Orthodox Church, which is under the jurisdiction of Alexandria, was founded in the 1860s by a bishop ordained by the Syriac Church, but lost touch with its roots, being brought back into the Oriental Orthodox family by its current Metropolitan, Abba Seraphim, in the 1990s - so I hope that might be a good precedent for your Church.

Do look in on us at http://www.britishorthodox.org/index.php

I pray for you and your Church that you might again be one with our family.

In Christ,

Anglian

Upvote 0

ReadingForOrders

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
✟8,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Anglian thank you for sharing with me. Indeed your experience is heartening. Tomorrow I will share more. I would like to post something from our website but will need to get the Bishops permission first. This should only take a day or so.

Tom

Upvote 0

Anglian

Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Tom.

I look forward to hearing more about your Church.

We found, and continue to find, the Copts so wonderfully loving and receptive to us as British Orthodox Christians. Unlike some Orthodox there was no fuss about language or culture, that great and good man Pope Shenouda saw at once that what mattered was whether we were Orthodox, and that that was all that mattered. Satisfied with that, we came under his jurisdiction, our Metropolitan became a member of the Holy Synod and we continue to grow in the Spirit.

May it be an omen for you.

In peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

copticorthodoxy

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
✟25,993.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lord Jesus, have mercy on me a sinner.

http://www.forministry.com/USNYAMOCCNOCCN/

I don't understand if your church want to became Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox !!
you said that your church want to join the Oriental Orthodox but in your site it says

" Our Faith and Belief follows the Rudder and the Canons and teachings of the Seven Ecumenical Councils "

The Oriental Orthodox church believes in the first Three Ecumenical councils only

Upvote 0

Anglian

Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear`Tom,

Thank you for sharing your website and the information about your Church with us; I read it with great interest.

In many ways your Church seems in not a dissimilar place to my own before the 1990s.

Although there were those who dismissed it as another vagante group claiming Orthodox roots, the Orthodox Church of the British Isles (as it then was) had (as Pope Shenouda III was to acknowledge) a sound Orthodox connection to the Syriac Orthodox Church; but that link had become faint. We acted as a group around which those interested in a British Orthodoxy could cohere. There were those who dissented from Mar Seraphim's (as he then was) decision to open talks with the Coptic Church and who decided not to join us in our decision to come under the jurisdiction of Alexandria. Time has shown how wise Abba Seraphim's decision was.

To be Orthodox is certainly to follow an Orthodox theology and Christology under one's own bishop; but we have found great joy and great spiritual growth in a direct connection with one of the great Orthodox families; we are all God's children, of course, but is nice to be in close contact with one's brothers and sisters.

Your own Church has a number of connections, which suggests it could, if it wanted, go in a number of directions. Of course it may simply wish to stay where it is, but your opening post suggested that was not the desire of your Metropolitan. That being so, I do think it significant that he has chosen to contact the Oriental Orthodox family. In my experience the Eastern Orthodox are much more taken up with questions of ethnicity and have a real problem with the notion of an American Orthodoxy.

Your Church would be well placed to transcend that problem, and I hope, and pray, that the talks will prosper and bring your Church back, via its Ethiopian roots, to the great Oriental Orthodox family.

Do, please, tell us more about your Church and its activities; even from this distance I can see, from your website, similarities with the BOC, and it would be wonderful to have an American Church with which we could be in full communion.

My prayers are with you and your Church.

In peace,

Anglian

p.s. Tom, if you would care to sign up, via our website for our Forum, I know there are many there who would be interested in talking to you about Oriental Orthodoxy in an English and American setting.

Upvote 0

ReadingForOrders

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
✟8,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I don't understand if your church want to became Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox !!
you said that your church want to join the Oriental Orthodox but in your site it says

The Oriental Orthodox church believes in the first Three Ecumenical councils only
Indeed my friend there are clearly issues both internal and external that we are dealing with. This is one of the reasons that my introduction confirmed that we are not in communion with any of the Patriarchs at this point. We have, as a body, historically confirmed 7 Ecumenical Councils. We currently are in discussion about this. We definitely have decisions to make as a body and are simply at the introduction stage. I would appreciate your prayers that we (clergy, seminarians and laity) may discuss and listen to the leading of the Spirit.

Tom

Upvote 0

ReadingForOrders

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
✟8,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Dear`Tom,

Thank you for sharing your website and the information about your Church with us; I read it with great interest.

In many ways your Church seems in not a dissimilar place to my own before the 1990s.

Although there were those who dismissed it as another vagante group claiming Orthodox roots, the Orthodox Church of the British Isles (as it then was) had (as Pope Shenouda III was to acknowledge) a sound Orthodox connection to the Syriac Orthodox Church; but that link had become faint. We acted as a group around which those interested in a British Orthodoxy could cohere. There were those who dissented from Mar Seraphim's (as he then was) decision to open talks with the Coptic Church and who decided not to join us in our decision to come under the jurisdiction of Alexandria. Time has shown how wise Abba Seraphim's decision was.

To be Orthodox is certainly to follow an Orthodox theology and Christology under one's own bishop; but we have found great joy and great spiritual growth in a direct connection with one of the great Orthodox families; we are all God's children, of course, but is nice to be in close contact with one's brothers and sisters.

Your own Church has a number of connections, which suggests it could, if it wanted, go in a number of directions. Of course it may simply wish to stay where it is, but your opening post suggested that was not the desire of your Metropolitan. That being so, I do think it significant that he has chosen to contact the Oriental Orthodox family. In my experience the Eastern Orthodox are much more taken up with questions of ethnicity and have a real problem with the notion of an American Orthodoxy.

Your Church would be well placed to transcend that problem, and I hope, and pray, that the talks will prosper and bring your Church back, via its Ethiopian roots, to the great Oriental Orthodox family.

Do, please, tell us more about your Church and its activities; even from this distance I can see, from your website, similarities with the BOC, and it would be wonderful to have an American Church with which we could be in full communion.

My prayers are with you and your Church.

In peace,

Anglian

p.s. Tom, if you would care to sign up, via our website for our Forum, I know there are many there who would be interested in talking to you about Oriental Orthodoxy in an English and American setting.
Anglian;
We appreciate your prayers and indeed there are more than a few directions that are possible at this point. Please join me in the prayer that we will listen to the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Can you send me a link?

Tom

Upvote 0

davidlazarus

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
✟7,616.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Blessings Tom,

I have only just begun posting here and am greatly interested in your Church and its history, structure and teachings.

Please forgive me if I am in error, but on what I believe to be your Church website I found a reference to a Rev. Mtr. Marlyn Worley, acknowledging this person as a priest.

As I said, forgive me if I am wrong as I mean no disrespect, but I am under the impression "Marlyn" is a woman's name.

The reason I am asking is I have had much contact with many Churches that support the ordination of women although this practice is clearly prohibited in both scripture and apostolic tradition.

In relation to this, could you please share what your Church's stand is on this issue.

Peace and Love to you

David.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReadingForOrders

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
✟8,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Blessings Tom,

I have only just begun posting here and am greatly interested in your Church and its history, structure and teachings.

Please forgive me if I am in error, but on what I believe to be your Church website I found a reference to a Rev. Mtr. Marlyn Worley, acknowledging this person as a priest.

As I said, forgive me if I am wrong as I mean no disrespect, but I am under the impression "Marlyn" is a woman's name.

The reason I am asking is I have had much contact with many Churches that support the ordination of women although this practice is clearly prohibited in both scripture and apostolic tradition.

In relation to this, could you please share what your Church's stand is on this issue.

Peace and Love to you

David.
Hi Davidlazarus; Absolutely a great question. Marilyn is indeed a woman. She is married to the man who consecrated our archbishop. She was ordained by her husband after the Archbishop was consecrated (I believe) The Bishop who was the principle consecrator of Archbishop Pultorak is honored but is considered "retired". We do not currently ordain women to the presbytery or consecrate them to the episcopate, we do currently ordain women to the diaconate but like everything this is also currently being discussed. My personal belief is that there were female Deacons and am not bothered by the fact that we have deaconesses but like everything I pray that my opinion doesn't deafen me to the voice of the Holy Spirit. There has been change and growth in our little group and it seems that the more we return to our Orthodox roots the more blessed we are. Please pray that we continue to listen to the Holy Spirit.

Welcome to CF!

Tom

Upvote 0

davidlazarus

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
✟7,616.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Blessings Tom,

It is good to hear your Church is no longer continuing to ordain women priestesses as the pagan religions did for their deities.

May I ask if you know if Mrs Worley has renounced this false claim or does she still maintain her position?

Another question I would like to ask is from what apostolic line of ascension does your Church claim to have received its anointing?

Please do not take offense to this but there is at this time a growing number of gatherings claiming to be apostolic, many of which claim to hold apostolic authority, particularly from the apostle St, Thomas.

As examples, The "Spiritis Church" and the "Fellowship of Christ International" both make the same claim and both ordain women. What is of note however is when their line of ascension is examined, a number of Nestorians are listed and even these claims of anointing are dubious to say the least.

I am not suggesting your Church falls into their category as I know nothing at this time of your claim of ascension, so I do ask you not to take my words as an accusation, as they are not intended to be.

My purpose in asking is simply to clarify this point as your Church website does not offer any names, only the statement that you have received such authority.

Recently I was in a similar situation, I had been posting on another forum calling itself "Ourchurch.com" where a member of the "fellowship of Christ International", specifically a woman Bishop, also posted.

When I questioned her on the Nestorians in their list of apostolic ascension of authority and could they support their claims, I was threatened by the administration of the forum to remain silent, with the threat of being banned should I mention it again.

After a short time, another challenged her on her claiming the title of Bishop and again the issue of their apostolic authority arose. When I posted the evidence proving her claims to be false, I was banned and the posts removed. In this case the individual in question was a paying customer of many of the services provided by "Ourchurch.com".

I mention this simply to illustrate the need for clarification on such claims, not to suggest any deceit on your part. However as I'm sure you can appreciate, any can make such claims, but not always are they based in truth.

Peace and Love to you

David Lazarus

Upvote 0

ReadingForOrders

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
✟8,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Blessings Tom,

And to you Davidlazarus! I must apologize for my delay in responding I wanted to confirm the accuracy of my answers

It is good to hear your Church is no longer continuing to ordain women priestesses as the pagan religions did for their deities.

May I ask if you know if Mrs Worley has renounced this false claim or does she still maintain her position?
I do not know exactly what her stance is at the moment; neither she nor her husband technically are involved with us at all. Like I said they are listed to honor Bishop Worly but they have no official function in the Church. They do not participate in any way.

Another question I would like to ask is from what apostolic line of ascension does your Church claim to have received its anointing?
From our website:

PRIMARY SUCCESSION - THE ETHIOPIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH
The primary Succession of this Church stems from the Orthodox Church of Ethiopia and its first Patriarch ... Abuna Basilios. In 1959 Abuna Basilios Consecrated to the Episcopacy at Holy Trinity Cathedral in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Abuna Gabre Kristos Mikael; assisted by Abuna Markos, Patriarch of Gojjam, and Bishop Petros, Metropolitan of Gondar.
In 1972, at St. Leonard's Cathedral in brooklyn, New York, Abuna Gabre Kristos Mikael, assisted by Archbishops Francis Ryan and James Edward Burns, Consecrated to the Episcopacy, Abuna Gabre Medhin Kristos Jeremiah, (David W. Worley).
In 2004 Abuna Jeremiah, assisted by Bishop Michael Frost, Consecrated to the Episcopacy the current Metropolitan Primate of The American Orthodox Catholic Church/American Orthodox Church, +Samuel, (Mark A. Pultorak)

This link provides a brief history of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church from which our succession originates. The first Patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church Abuna Basilios is the same Abuna Basilios mentioned above.

Please do not take offense to this but there is at this time a growing number of gatherings claiming to be apostolic, many of which claim to hold apostolic authority, particularly from the apostle St, Thomas.
No offense taken my friend. As you can see we are not "Thomasites" although I am familiar with some of these groups as we have a "Thomasite" Bishop in the city in which I live.

As examples, The "Spiritis Church" and the "Fellowship of Christ International" both make the same claim and both ordain women. What is of note however is when their line of ascension is examined, a number of Nestorians are listed and even these claims of anointing are dubious to say the least.

I am not suggesting your Church falls into their category as I know nothing at this time of your claim of ascension, so I do ask you not to take my words as an accusation, as they are not intended to be.
I am not aware of a Nestorian influence in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. However although a student I am not a scholar and perhaps there is such an influence. I know that the Ethiopians are not now Nestorian nor are we.

My purpose in asking is simply to clarify this point as your Church website does not offer any names, only the statement that you have received such authority.
Actually our Website only provides information showing our connections to the Ethiopian and the Russian Orthodox Churches did you go to the link I provided?

As for what actually happened in the 60's we are not really sure. We have been involved in communication trying to determine how our body and the Ethiopian Church lost contact with each other and so far all we have learned is that neither we nor the Ethiopians really know, at least not yet. It's been a puzzler.

Recently I was in a similar situation, I had been posting on another forum calling itself "Ourchurch.com" where a member of the "fellowship of Christ International", specifically a woman Bishop, also posted.
Ourchurch.com has a number of different Church bodies which post websites on them do you remember which one particularly?

When I questioned her on the Nestorians in their list of apostolic ascension of authority and could they support their claims, I was threatened by the administration of the forum to remain silent, with the threat of being banned should I mention it again.
This is not a very Christian response on their part. Considering how you have asked your questions here I see no reason to believe you were any less polite and respectful there.

After a short time, another challenged her on her claiming the title of Bishop and again the issue of their apostolic authority arose. When I posted the evidence proving her claims to be false, I was banned and the posts removed. In this case the individual in question was a paying customer of many of the services provided by "Ourchurch.com".
Unfortunately that doesn't surprise me.

I mention this simply to illustrate the need for clarification on such claims, not to suggest any deceit on your part. However as I'm sure you can appreciate, any can make such claims, but not always are they based in truth.
Indeed people can claim many things. This is one of the reasons my first post was worded as it was.

Peace and Love to you

David Lazarus
And to you my friend. Thank you for the challenging questions and for sharing your experiences.

I would like a link to the ourchurch that you were banned from. I assure you I have no intention posting there but would like to take a look. I know a lot of Old Catholics and Thomasites that do endorse female clergy beyond the Diaconate.

Tom

Upvote 0

davidlazarus

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
✟7,616.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Blessings to you Tom,

no need for apologies. All any can do is reply as time and circumstance permits.

In relation to Mrs. Worley and the issue of women’s ordination, this is unfortunately an issue that has been greatly influenced by the world’s present stance on women’s equality and rights, which may I say is a good thing, when it remains purely in the things of the world.
However, when such a stance influences believers to sway from the Word of God to follow cultural viewpoints then division and corruption is inevitable.

At this time, all we can do is pray the Lord guides those in authority within your Church to swiftly resolve the issue and make a stand one way or the other. Until then, perhaps they should consider amending their website to clarify the point, but this is something they must decide for themselves. What is unfortunate is that at present, the website does indicate a strong protestant and cultural influence away from orthodoxy.

Thanks for the info on your succession, what would be of interest is what the Ethiopian stand is on your Church and whether the Coptic Church supported these consecrations. One possible problem could be the ordination of Mrs. Worley by her husband because it is unlikely the Ethiopians would ever support such action. Perhaps this was part of the reason for any separation between the two, but I am stating this only as a possibility.

You said,

”No offense taken my friend. As you can see we are not "Thomasites" although I am familiar with some of these groups as we have a "Thomasite" Bishop in the city in which I live.”

Thanks for taking my words in the spirit in which they were intended, being a genuine inquiry, not an accusation.

you said,

“I am not aware of a Nestorian influence in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. However although a student I am not a scholar and perhaps there is such an influence. I know that the Ethiopians are not now Nestorian nor are we.”

I also am not a scholar by any stretch of the imagination, that being said, I also have never found anything to suggest the Ethiopians are in any way Nestorian.

Sorry, I haven’t been to the link you provided, my computers old and I can’t connect through links, I keep getting an “error on page” message. Just as I’m no scholar, I’m no computer Wiz either but I hope to get it sorted soon.

You said,

“As for what actually happened in the 60's we are not really sure. We have been involved in communication trying to determine how our body and the EthiopianChurch lost contact with each other and so far all we have learned is that neither we nor the Ethiopians really know, at least not yet. It's been a puzzler.”

Again, perhaps the Ethiopians might be the ones to ask concerning this. I would imagine they might have records of what may have happened.

you said,

“Ourchurch.com has a number of different Church bodies which post websites on them do you remember which one particularly?”

Ourchurch.com does have just about every denomination post there from time to time, ranging from little cults to the larger corporate bodies, all preaching different interpretations of the scriptures.

The particular cult I was referring to was “fellowship of Christ International”, represented at Ourchurch.com by a women calling herself the username “Ferryman”. real name Trudy Veerman. In relation to her real name, I have only posted that here as she openly does so herself, making it quite public as she promotes her supposed Christian counseling service on each of her posts.

Some of her false teachings are the rejection of the sacrament of Baptism as having any part in salvation, only a public declaration. Ordination of women, herself claiming she is a bishop. The denial Christ was crucified on a Friday. Pre-tribulation rapture and many others.

However, the main issue in her case was not so much her false doctrines, as this is common amongst those who post at Ourchurch.com, including the management, the issue was her claiming that her cult was founded upon the apostle Thomas and holds an unbroken line of apostolic succession from him, which of cause cannot be substantiated and the list they offer includes Nestorians. Thus, even if the list was true, they descended from excommunicated heretics and hold no authority in Christ.

You’re right in saying Ourchurch.com’s threats were not very Christian, but from their perspective, I was attacking one of their customers. Also, by often posting the faith as it was first preached in the early Church, I undermined the structure of many of their beliefs so I was not always the most popular person there.

You said,

“Indeed people can claim many things. This is one of the reasons my first post was worded as it was.”

And worded very well I might add.

You said,

“And to you my friend. Thank you for the challenging questions and for sharing your experiences.”

Thank you also, it is refreshing to discuss such things openly and with Christian love and with truth as the primary goal.

You said,

“I would like a link to the ourchurch that you were banned from. I assure you I have no intention posting there but would like to take a look. I know a lot of Old Catholics and Thomasites that do endorse female clergy beyond the Diaconate.”

I have no problem if you should post there, although you should expect some very different interpretations to scripture to what is considered Orthodox. I can’t post links here yet, but if you are interested, it’s Ourchurch.com

Peace and Love to you always

David Lazarus

Upvote 0

Anglian

Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear David, dear Tom,

I have been away from the Forum this week, and it is edifying and wonderful to come back and find this example of Christian love and guidance at work here.

If Tom will go to the British Orthodox Church website at this link
http://www.britishorthodox.org/fellowship.php
and then click on join on line, he'll find the way to come to our British orthodox forum; I don't know if you, David, would also be interested, but we are always happy to have new people with us.

The BOC Fellowship is for those who are either Oriental Orthodox or are interested in knowing more about us; it is an eirenic and prayerful forum where we try to share our experiences on the journey to theosis.

Peace be with you both,

Anglian

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.