• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My ocd pattern (i need help with it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find that a lot of the time my ocd has a pattern. A lot of the times it is the same pattern whatever the issue at hand may be. Usually what will happen is that i get it in my mind that its worg or sinful to do something that is not wrong or sinful to do. When i go to do the thing that its comming into my mind that its wrong or sinful to do i get feelings and thoughts that im doing something wrong or sinful. Most times i will also get terrible thoughts that also strive to make me feel like im doing something wrong or sinful when im doing what im doing that is not wrong or sinful.

The thing is that i can say that what im doing is not wrong or sinful in any way and i can say that the terrible thoughts are not from me in any way, But a lot of the times i get overwhelmed with the thoughts and feelings that i am or may be doing something wrong or sinful when i do what it is that i will be doing and i battle with the terrible thoughts that come into my mind.

Right now this has been happening to me when it comes to singing along to music. When i go to sing along to music this whole cycle will kick in to where i feel like i am doing something wrong or maybe sinful and it keeps me from being able to sing along to music in peace. To be honest this is really bothering me. I believe that the right thing to do is overcome the ocd and just sing, but thats when the ocd cycle will kick in. And if i am able to sing one part of a song when the singer stops singing for a bit and then starts up again i also will stop when he/she stops and then strive to start singing again when he/she starts and this starts the battle over again in my mind and emotions.

I am also having the same battle when i cough. When i start to cough it will come into my mind that im doing something wrong or that i may be sinning. I also believe that the right thing to do here is to overcome the ocd and cough, but thats when the ocd cycle will kick in.

Do you all have any thoughts that you think may help me with these ocd battles and with the way that my ocd works in almost every battle that i go through?

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Just keep on singing...let the anxiety come....and keep on singing. Don't stop when you feel like this. Cough when you need to. As you said - you know both are not sinful.

Any time you begin to have a though like this about anything, just do that thing over and over. Remember, it worked with the breathing.

God bless.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you should try to force yourself not to start that new pattern of compulsions, I find that helps me, if my OCD tries to get me to start a new obsession I just try to relax and let it wash over me, also because I know if I indulge in that first obsession it will be much harder to get over it later on if I get the pattern in my mind.

To put it another way, I think its better to try to stop the new obsession when it first begins other then try to stop it after your mind has already approved of it.

God be with you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.