Louisiana
✟7,798.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up in a fairly conservative church, Nazerene to be specific, and was never really exposed to any charismatic services. Oh I heard horror stories from my sister whose friend invited her to a Non-Denominational church, but that was the extent of my demoninational knowledge.

Five months ago I began a relationship with a Pentocostal woman who invited me to her church.

The first experience quite a distance away from comfort zone.

Do not get my wrong, its a great congregation. The people are so incredibly nice and caring, you feel welcoome as soon as you enter the doors.

What I am not used to are the runners, 'falling out', the preacher jumping and hollering with such passion, and of course - speaking in tongues.

In doing more research on the phenomenon that is not practiced in my church (technically, it is allowed, but only if an interpreter is present) I referenced tongues and found 1 Corinthians 14, a whole book devoted to the recomendations involving tongues.

I found this verse most noteable:
23So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

I laughed when I read this, and my girlfriend laughed too,
but at what point is this taken with any degree of legitamacy? Do charismatic churches adhere to this passage?

I would like to know how yall interperet this chapter, and please, I mean no disrespect to Pentocostals or any other church that is simalar. My experience has shown me it is a good church with great people, just some things I do not understand.

Thank you,

apsalmistspraise

Painting with the words of the Lord...
Apr 15, 2007
Anderson, In
Visit site
✟11,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
i grew up in a baptist church so i was not at all comfortable with non-denom. spirit filled churches but once I read the book Drawing Near by John Bevere it helped me understand sooooo much more what it means in 1st Cor. please study and you are doing right by asking about it. the Bible says 2 Tim 2:15 to study the word of God so you can rightly divide the word of truth. I only came to agree with tongues after I experienced it for myself realizing that after asking God to impart this gift to me if it was of Him and then waiting for him to share that with me.

Upvote 0

okieray

Dec 30, 2006
sallisaw,oklahoma
✟15,620.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up in a fairly conservative church, Nazerene to be specific, and was never really exposed to any charismatic services. Oh I heard horror stories from my sister whose friend invited her to a Non-Denominational church, but that was the extent of my demoninational knowledge.

Five months ago I began a relationship with a Pentocostal woman who invited me to her church.

Do not get my wrong, its a great congregation. The people are so incredibly nice and caring, you feel welcoome as soon as you enter the doors.

What I am not used to are the runners, 'falling out', the preacher jumping and hollering with such passion, and of course - speaking in tongues.

In doing more research on the phenomenon that is not practiced in my church (technically, it is allowed, but only if an interpreter is present) I referenced tongues and found 1 Corinthians 14, a whole book devoted to the recomendations involving tongues.

23So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

but at what point is this taken with any degree of legitamacy? Do charismatic churches adhere to this passage?

I would like to know how yall interperet this chapter, and please, I mean no disrespect to Pentocostals or any other church that is simalar. My experience has shown me it is a good church with great people, just some things I do not understand.

Thank you,
i can`t speak for other churches but in my church when praying you will hear very often brothers and sisters praying in tongues and as you may allready know for this god does his own interpretation. as for speaking in tongues i`ve never heard more than one speaking in tongues at a time and never with out a interperter. this is not done as some want to believe its allways done in a orderily manner right after a round of prayer. i was too a member of a church that didn`t believe in tongues but when the holy spirit got a hold on me i became a believer over night. i`ve been attending my aog church for around a year now, i went in need of the baptism of the spirit, it took a few months of praying before it happen i was so green i didn`t even know what had happened for about three nights and it rolled of my lips one night as i was having my bed time prayers and so far i still just pray in tongues. it has really helped in my walk with the lord! back to 1cor. 14:23 this just tells me just what it says when there are non belivers in the house have order using the gifts

Upvote 0

StylesEste

Apr 20, 2007
✟15,131.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship

Thank you,
When it comes to the Tongues, I am reminded of Acts 1:4, though since I do not have my bible open (sitting on top of this desk) I'll just trunicate it to what I understand:

"The Spirit of the Lord shall descend upon them and give them utterance."

And yes, the first Pentecostal experience can be -very- uncomfortable, it's supposed to actually; to break the norm and truly get involved in the Spirit; to shake lose what is perceived by the logic of human mind, and understand what it means to not fear oppression, or to be shunned.

Upvote 0

cgid3

Mar 12, 2007
Louisiana
✟7,798.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
When it comes to the Tongues, I am reminded of Acts 1:4, though since I do not have my bible open (sitting on top of this desk) I'll just trunicate it to what I understand:

"The Spirit of the Lord shall descend upon them and give them utterance."

And yes, the first Pentecostal experience can be -very- uncomfortable, it's supposed to actually; to break the norm and truly get involved in the Spirit; to shake lose what is perceived by the logic of human mind, and understand what it means to not fear oppression, or to be shunned.

Thats what my verses adresss, though. It says if you are in your church speaking in tongues you are in serious danger of scaring off non-christians.

As far as you being oppressed and shunned, what fear do you have being charismatic in church (surrounded by like-minded believers and practicers) or when you are praying alone before God?

Thanks,

Upvote 0

StylesEste

Apr 20, 2007
✟15,131.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thats what my verses adresss, though. It says if you are in your church speaking in tongues you are in serious danger of scaring off non-christians.

As far as you being oppressed and shunned, what fear do you have being charismatic in church (surrounded by like-minded believers and practicers) or when you are praying alone before God?

Thanks,
That is true, there has been times I've seen people backed from church when they hear the Tongues, I do believe that it is without the understanding that there are levels of spirituality, which is seperate from Faith, though included since it is Faith that we ask, praise, and wait.

As for myself, I do not speak the Tongues though I can understand it as if it was a plain language I've always heard, although there are times when it is foreign since I do not know every single language on Earth, I just have an understanding of the worldly languages, just without the complete knowledge of each tongue on Earth. My Faith has me in speaking of what is coming (Revelations) as I've had a very strange drive into studying and reading it; partly why I had named my Ministry so; though I'll not post it here ^_^;; would take about an hour to type everything out about why, and how I do what I do with it. >_<; I just have a lot of fun when I speak of God (I had an 8 hour conversation via phone with someone, solely about the Lord, and the various spirits that inhabit the planet)

As for charismatic; I believe I had mentioned something in that sort in a different thread, forgot which one at the moment (been up all night with only three hours sleep between three days) X_x; infernal migraine and downloading plug-ins for morrowind >_<; though I'm grown up I still act childish when it comes to games.. haha ^_^;;

Upvote 0

kulenok

Mar 29, 2007
✟8,065.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I had an 8 hour conversation via phone with someone, solely about the Lord, and the various spirits that inhabit the planet)
8 hours? Thats nothing. Me and my friend talked about God all night for two nights in a row. But I guess it got the demons angry, it was then that i saw a handful of them.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The verse means that people who do not know about tongues will not understand what is going on.

For example, many Christians believe in a literal heaven but that sounds insane to many non-believers.
agreed but quite a few times though if there were unbelievers in the church sometimes they would explain what speaking in tongues is and the non-believer or the person who isn't use to it could always ask the pastor of the church, a friend or even a minster.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChaseinChrist

The LORD's Annointed
Sep 18, 2005
South Carolina
✟478.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 8:26, "Like wise the Spirit itself helpeth our infirmities: for we know not we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

I believe that's tounges....I'm church of god, I believe that you cannot learn tounges, but it is by the spirit giving you utterance, so therefore if you're praying with someone and don't know what they're going through, or even praying for, then enter into His (God's) presence and he will give you the utterance of another language which is just your spirit praying to god.

Whith the verse that you gave: I feel that has something to do with order. Maybe the Apostle was referring to the giving a message in tounges, and expecting an interpretation. If everybody gives their message at once, then there's no way to interpret them all at the same time (1 Cor. 14). Plus, I believe that as a pastor of a penetecostal church if something like that happens in your service, then you could get up and explain it, Peter had to explain pentecost to the people out in the streets (Acts 2)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthonyw

Nov 28, 2006
✟7,853.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
[FONT=Palatino Linotype, serif]I believe if you are in an open meeting and folk have brought in, as yet unsaved friends, it's not good to speak in tounges. I've seen the unsaved literally flee from a meeting where the pastor decided everyone should speak in tongues:sigh: I can hardly say I blame a none Christian for that. Many a none pentecostal Christian would have left in such circumstances. [/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype, serif]At another meeting I attended there where many different pentecostal and charismatic groups attending, during a time of prayer this one particular group of about 6 or so, decided they were going to pray in tongues and pray loud. If someone had suggested that they should have perhaps toned it down a bit, I've no doubt they would have seen it as an infringement on their liberty in the Lord. But I believe this is an abuse of liberty, a lack of personal discipline and common sense. Some people will almost have the hairs on the back of their neck stand on end when they hear loud tongues especially if they are a bit highly strung:([/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype, serif]Speaking in tongues can be gentle and barely audible if needs be. I personally speak in tongues frequently like this without disturbing others at work etc:thumbsup:[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype, serif]Blessings,[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype, serif]Anthony:)[/FONT]

Upvote 0

wannaberichr

Nov 6, 2005
Eastern, NC
✟15,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If the tongues are brought forth during praise and worship, then it is okay not to have an interpreter. This is because the translation may be for one other person, in which case, that person will understand the tongues. Or it could be for the person speaking. But if it is for edification of the church, there will always be an interpretation. This comes from my experiences of 27 years in the pentecostal churches.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.