My list of christian metal/rock

Bart1989

Mar 17, 2012
✟15,111.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Keep in mind as I reply that the apostle Paul wrote “All things are legal for me but not all things are beneficial” (1Corinthians 6:12). If I say anything less than positive about any particular band it does not mean that listening to that band will mean you will go straight to hell, but your choices in what you listen to can have influences on you that can be either good or bad. Having said that, let’s proceed…

I noticed on your list The Air I Breathe’s Great Faith in Fools. Just recently a guy at work gave me that CD – he’s not a Christian but knows I am and thought I would like it. I knew nothing of the band and gave it a listen. I like the CD musically, but as I was listening I thought I was hearing an awful lot of F bombs. I listened to it again and sure enough there were quite a few F bombs in there. I decided to read the lyrics before passing judgment and was a bit disappointed to see not only some nasty language but a rather angry theme to most of the CD. A day later I listened to it again and once again I liked it musically but found myself cringing in anticipation of the F bombs that I knew would come along. This isn’t a CD that I can listen to around my wife or kids and it’s not something I would want to listen to at work where I’m looked up to as a role model. And I’m not sure I would want to listen to it much even by myself because I know if I subject myself to that enough it will get in my head and I’ll be using F bombs unexpectedly in my own language.

Nothing I’m saying here is meant to pass judgment on the The Air I Breathe guys. I don’t know them and I don’t know exactly what they’re trying to express in their recording. I only know that prior to getting saved I was a very angry young man who used very nasty language at all times and it took Jesus quite a while and quite a bit of work to rid me of that. I would never condemn anyone (believer or not) who blurts out some nasty language in a fit of rage in the midst of a stressful situation. But something like published music takes time and planning to put together and therefore it requires a conscience decision to include it and in that I’m a bit disappointed to find it in a recording of such musical quality.

I also noticed you have my favorite band, Skillet, listed. I love Skillet and while I’ve never met John Cooper I think the world of him. But an argument could be made that his one song, Open Wounds, is an angry song. My understanding is that it’s about a kid in a dysfunctional home and I can relate very well to the song. But while it may be an angry song there’s no foul language in it. The same is true for the few ‘angry songs’ that 12 Stones have – all clean language. I don’t have to fear gaining a ‘foul language habit’ by listening to it and I don’t have to worry about who’s around when I’m listening. I don’t recall any foul language in any Norma Jean’s song’s or August Burns Red, or Demon Hunter or Becoming the Archetype – nothing in their songs that I need to cringe for.

Just remember that music of itself is amoral. There are Christians who may tell you that certain genres are evil but I can find nothing in scripture to support that theory. I do tend to think that when we get to Heaven we’ll be surprised at the music there – I think it will be of the sort that we have not yet heard and it may very well be if such music were played here on Earth now there would be those who would condemn it. But lyrics are words – and words have powerful influence. Anything that you listen to or read on a regular basis will have influence on you – otherwise why would we be told we should read the Bible regularly? Words are what we need to watch – what we ingest regularly is what we will become. Having said that the only thing on your list that I have concerns about is Great Faith in Fools (but keep in mind I’m not familiar with all the bands on your list- but you can use the guidelines of what I said to apply to other music).

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see you've got the "now" covered fairly sufficiently, but let's turn back the dial a decade or so. You should also be listening to:

Zao (esp. "Liberate Te Ex Inferis" and "Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest")
Training For Utopia (they only have two full-lengths... they're both epic. This is the band that spawned the main members of Demon Hunter)
Luti-Kriss (Only one album, the band that morphed into Norma Jean.)

In fact, just investigate Solid State/Tooth and Nail back catalog. They put out a lot of great rock/metal in the 90s, 2000s.

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see you've got the "now" covered fairly sufficiently, but let's turn back the dial a decade or so. You should also be listening to:

Zao (esp. "Liberate Te Ex Inferis" and "Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest")
Training For Utopia (they only have two full-lengths... they're both epic. This is the band that spawned the main members of Demon Hunter)
Luti-Kriss (Only one album, the band that morphed into Norma Jean.)

In fact, just investigate Solid State/Tooth and Nail back catalog. They put out a lot of great rock/metal in the 90s, 2000s.

I didn't like them, and don't like them. I don't listen to metal, rock and hardcore anymore.

Upvote 0

Elgibbor

Veteran
Oct 14, 2011
✟1,641.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Some brutal Christian Death Metal:

Broken Flesh - Lucifer's Demise - YouTube

You were perfect in all ways
Full of knowledge and pride
Once you walked the garden of God
Anointed cherub to guard the gate

Blameless from your day of creation
Until you were found unclean

Thrown down to the earth
No more will you walk the fiery stones
Now you deceive the hearts of man
Lake of Fire your eternal home

Your rebellion is useless
Your destruction, governments of man
Armageddon is coming
Your destruction is at hand

Declaration of war is accepted
We will triumph by the blood of the Lamb...

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

With dead memories in my heart
Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi, this is my list of christian metal/rock, tell me what you think, and tell me if there are any bands I shouldn't be listening to, and if so, tell why:

I Am Alpha And Omega - Christian metal
Abandon All Ships - Post-hardcore / metalcore (not all songs are christian, they use profanity in some).
Ace Augustine - Christian Metalcore
Agraceful - Christian Post-Hardcore/Metalcore
As I Lay Dying - Christian metal-hardcore
The Air I Breathe - Christian metal
Alter Bridge - Metal (Some songs have christian lyrics)
Anberlin - Christian rock
As Hell Retreats - Christian metal/post-hardcore
The Ascendicate - Christian metal/rock
August Burns Red - Christian metal/metalcore (My favorite band)
Becoming The Archetype - Christian progressive death metal
Before Their Eyes - Christian post-hardcore/alternative rock
Blessthefall - Christian post-hardcore (they don't call themselves a christian band anymore though)
Burden Of A Day - Christian post-hardcore/metalcore
Burning Twilight - Christian metal
Chasing Victory - Christian post-hardcore/rock
Children 18:3 - Christian punk/rock
Close Your Eyes - Christian melodic hardcore/post-hardcore/pop punk/hardcore punk
Conditions - Rock (Not sure if christian, but I think so)
Confide - Christian metalcore
Corpus Christi - Christian metal/melodic metalcore
Cry Of The Afflicted - Christian melodic rock/post-harcore/metalcore (Another favorite)
Daughtry - Christian rock
Dead Poetic - Christian alternative-rock/Christian hardcore/Post-hardcore/Hard rock
Decyfer Down - Christian rock (Really good)
Deliverance - Christian speed/thrash metal/progressive metal
Demon Hunter - Christian metal (Another favorite)
Destroy The Runner - Christian melodic metalcore
The Devil Wears Prada - Christian metalcore
Disciple - Christian metal/rock
Divinefire - Christian symphonic power metal
Doubledge - Christian rock and a bit rap
Emery - Christian pop/rock/screamo/melodic hardcore
The Famine - Christian death metal/groove metal/technical death metal/melodic death metal/metalcore
For Today - Christian metal/deathcore/metalcore (Another favorite, most of their songs are straight from the bible, and all their songs have christian lyrics)
Gideon - Christian hardcore/metal
Gwen Stacy - Christian metalcore
Harmony - Christian progressive power metal
Haste The Day - Christian metalcore
Hawk Nelson - Christian punk/pop
He Is Legend - Christian post-hardcore
I See Stars - Christian post-hardcore
I The Breather - Christian hardcore
Impending Doom - Christian death metal/deathcore
Im Fear And Faith - Christian post-hardcore/alternative metal
Inhale Exhale - Christian metalcore
Ivoryline - Christian rock/alternative rock (Another favorite band, their song 'Days End' makes you really happy)
Killswitch Engage - Metalcore (Some members are christian, some songs have christian lyrics)
Legend - (?)(?)Christian(?)(?) metal/rap
Living Sacrifice - Christian heavy metal/death metal
Lordi - Christian heavy metal
Memphis May Fire - Hardcore/metal (Some lyrics are christian)
Miss May I - Metalcore (Some lyrics and members are christian)
MyChildren MyBride - Christian metalcore
Narnia - Christian neo-classical progressive power metal
Nodes Of Ranvier - Christian metal/metalcore
Norma Jean - Christian alternative metal/metalcore
Oceana - Indie rock/post-hardcore/metalcore (Christian members and lyrics)
Of Mice & Men - Post-hardcore/metal (some members and lyrics are christian)
Oh, Sleeper - Christian metalcore
Once Nothing - Metalcore (Some lyrics have christian meaning)
Onward To Olympas - Christian Hardcore/Metal
A Plea for Purging - Christian metalcore
Project 86 - Christian rock
Red - Christian post-grunge/rock
Sent By Ravens - Christian Rock (Really beautiful christian songs)
Seventh Avenue - Christian Metal/Power Metal/Progressive Metal
Sever Your Ties - Christian rock/metal
The Showdown - Christian Metalcore
Skillet - Christian rock
Sleeping With Sirens - Christian post-hardcore/screamo
Spoken - Christian Alternative/Post-Hardcore/Rock
Still Remains - Metalcore (Some of the members are christian)
Texas In July - Christian Metalcore (Really good)
Theocracy - Christian Power Metal/Progressive Metal (Another favorite, all their lyrics are christian)
Thousand Foot Krutch - Christian Rock
Times Of Grace - Metalcore (Some songs have christian meaning)
Underoath - Christian Metalcore
War Of Ages - Christian Metalcore (Another favorite)
We Came As Romans - Post-Hardcore/Metalcore/Symphonic Rock (Some members and lyrics are christian)
Woe, Is Me - Post-Hardcore/Metalcore/Industrial Metal (Christian I think)
Write This Down - Christian Rock/Screamo (Another favorite, really Christian lyrics)
Sleeping Giant - Christian hardcore
Sovereign Strenght - Christian hardcore/metalcore
The Great Comission - Christian metal
Bringing Down Broadway - Christian hardcore
Before the Torn - Christian metal
Day of vengeance - christian melodic-hardcore/gospel
From Grace - Christian Hardcore/metalcore
Where the ocean meets the sky - metal
Betrayal - Christian hardcore

Funny story I found your list online one day and that was the whole reason why i joined cf :p Anyways, dude! Sleeping wif sirens curses, does that not bother you? There not a Christan band and nether is blessthefall, He is Legend and we came as romans, they all have good intentions i guess but aren't christian. However I am happy that you put ABR as ur fav band, its mine too. So much talent and skill :D Anyways God Bless

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Some brutal Christian Death Metal:

Broken Flesh - Lucifer's Demise - YouTube

You were perfect in all ways
Full of knowledge and pride
Once you walked the garden of God
Anointed cherub to guard the gate

Blameless from your day of creation
Until you were found unclean

Thrown down to the earth
No more will you walk the fiery stones
Now you deceive the hearts of man
Lake of Fire your eternal home

Your rebellion is useless
Your destruction, governments of man
Armageddon is coming
Your destruction is at hand

Declaration of war is accepted
We will triumph by the blood of the Lamb...

Heres some brutal slash deathcore bands you may like, i know i do :D

Battleship! - The Oakside Boys - YouTube

Battleship! - The Oakside Boys - YouTube

Earth from Above - The Antidote lyrics - YouTube

Oh and how about Herod's Demise instead haha but seriously :/

Earth from Above - The Antidote lyrics - YouTube

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Funny story I found your list online one day and that was the whole reason why i joined cf :p Anyways, dude! Sleeping wif sirens curses, does that not bother you? There not a Christan band and nether is blessthefall, He is Legend and we came as romans, they all have good intentions i guess but aren't christian. However I am happy that you put ABR as ur fav band, its mine too. So much talent and skill :D Anyways God Bless

Not sure if I noticed that, or knew back then.

I don't listen to Metal, Rock, Hardcore anymore though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What! why? care to explain?

It does weird things to me. Like I said, since the holy spirit of God can work through music, then so can Satan, since he mimics works of God, and perverts. He knows how powerful music is. For instance, There's some army in the OT where the worshippers were first in the lead for a war, maybe it was Joshua. Those metal artists have a lot of tattoos.

Music has spiritual effect, I can't listen to it with faith either.. whatever is not of faith is sin (Rom 14:23).

James 1:27
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

1 John 2:15-16
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 Corinthians 10:23
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Romans 14:19
Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

I get headaches a lot when I listen to the music. Headaches are usually demonic. I know this because I've had demonic opression lately, where it was like headaches all the time. Not until I surrender fully to God, stepped out in faith and so, it went away and I haven't had it for like 1 week now, in fact I've had peace, joy etc.

The music has bad influence on me. Usually dark lyrics. The beats are really addicting. I get the songs playing in my head like a tape. Really annoying, since I want to focus on Jesus and think of him, and have worship songs playing in my head, singing to the Lord in my heart.

I remember how I had a dream, where it was a sad emotion for me, as a song from a metal band played in the dream. I believe it was demonic.

Ephesians 5:19
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It does weird things to me. Like I said, since the holy spirit of God can work through music, then so can Satan, since he mimics works of God, and perverts. He knows how powerful music is. For instance, There's some army in the OT where the worshippers were first in the lead for a war, maybe it was Joshua. Those metal artists have a lot of tattoos.

Music has spiritual effect, I can't listen to it with faith either.. whatever is not of faith is sin (Rom 14:23).

James 1:27
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

1 John 2:15-16
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 Corinthians 10:23
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Romans 14:19
Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

I get headaches a lot when I listen to the music. Headaches are usually demonic. I know this because I've had demonic opression lately, where it was like headaches all the time. Not until I surrender fully to God, stepped out in faith and so, it went away and I haven't had it for like 1 week now, in fact I've had peace, joy etc.

The music has bad influence on me. Usually dark lyrics. The beats are really addicting. I get the songs playing in my head like a tape. Really annoying, since I want to focus on Jesus and think of him, and have worship songs playing in my head, singing to the Lord in my heart.

I remember how I had a dream, where it was a sad emotion for me, as a song from a metal band played in the dream. I believe it was demonic.

Ephesians 5:19
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Well please help me to understand. Did you listen to secular and satanic only and like few christian music??? Because see I listen to christian metal, ones that are true what they say and they honestly have a positive influence on me. Its just another form of worship I like the worship in, one where your crazy for Jesus. And another question for you, did you listen to metal (christian) for how good it sounds or for God. Maybe that why you have had spiritual attacks (well we all do) but specifically with this type of music.

Psalms 150:
5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals. 6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.

Praise the Lord.

also here it says and I hope you made this descion and not your parents making it for you. Yes we are suppose to obey are parents but we also have to make personal choices of are own which are parents may or may not agree.

Ezekiel 18:20- The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well please help me to understand. Did you listen to secular and satanic only and like few christian music??? Because see I listen to christian metal, ones that are true what they say and they honestly have a positive influence on me. Its just another form of worship I like the worship in, one where your crazy for Jesus. And another question for you, did you listen to metal (christian) for how good it sounds or for God. Maybe that why you have had spiritual attacks (well we all do) but specifically with this type of music.

Psalms 150:
5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals. 6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.

Praise the Lord.

also here it says and I hope you made this descion and not your parents making it for you. Yes we are suppose to obey are parents but we also have to make personal choices of are own which are parents may or may not agree.

Ezekiel 18:20- The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

It was a personal choice. I listened to Christian metal too btw. Also, that verse doesn't mean we aren't to obey parents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It was a personal choice. I listened to Christian metal too btw. Also, that verse doesn't mean we aren't to obey parents.

Well yes I know that. Because it says in the 10 commandments but want I m saying is to let you decide if listening to metal is right for you not your parents. And that fine if you feel that way that it harms you. I share that same view with tattoos.

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Elgibbor

Veteran
Oct 14, 2011
✟1,641.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Wow dude that like power metal, am I right? I do love how the riff is melodic, pretty catchy. Since you keep posting on here, what is your fav subgenre?
Power metal is probably my fave genre. I like all types of metal, Christian and non-Christian.

Upvote 0