• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My life

Aedin

Apr 17, 2009
Virginia, United States
✟7,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm just posting, to help people maybe understand me a little bit, and to hopefully maybe find some of the people I"m looking for.

There's so many details, it would take months, if not years, to explain it all, so I'll try to keep it simple. And a few years (around five years ago) something happened, that I still don't fully understand, but it made me forget the vast majority of my life, so I'll just say what I can remember.

My family, growing up, basically tried to convince me to always hold everything inside, to not talk to anyone about anything. Everything I tried to talk to them about things, they'd twist things to make it my fault, or basically just act like none of it mattered. Just grew up basically being told that almost every single thing I did was wrong, everything I thought or believed was wrong and untrue, and that nothing I did was ever good enough. A lot of the times I was happy or excited, my family shut me down. There was so much stress in my life, that I had no way of letting out, I eventually started making myself forget what happened. That gout out of hand, and now I don't remember most of my life. I now have deep-seated issues that everything I do is wrong, I"m a horrible person, and noone can ever love me or be my friend or put up with me. And that's been reinforced by almost every person I've met. Almost every person I've met in my life, has ignored me, or i try to talk to them about common interests and stuff, and they ignore me. Then I break down, talk about my problems, and they get angry at me about "always talking about my problems" and "manipulating people to feel sorry for me" and stuff like that. Yet they always ignore the times I tried to talk about things besides my problems, and they just wouldn't talk to me. I'd literally say 80 to 90 percent of the people I've met, have for some reason always twisted things to make everything wrong, look like my fault. And I have deep-seated issues with blaming myself for everything, and hating myself, so I'm definetely not the kind of guy who blames everyone else for everything, I blame myself for everything. I've met people who saw that, and told me not to blame myself for everything. Yet every time that person then did something to hurt me, and I tried to talk about things and clear them up, they'd get upset at me and tell me to stop blaming everyone else for my problems. 80 to 90 percent of the people I've met in my life, have lied to me, betrayed me, hurt me, confused me, un apologetically, and tried to convince me everything wrong is always my fault. Most of those people have been Christians. And I continue to meet Christians like that. I've tried to find Churches in my area. Except everyone in the churches I've been to, have been like the people I've met. They don't know you, so they ignore you, and if you try to get to know them, they basically make you feel terrible about yourself, and twist things to make you feel worse. I've been in an extreme anxiety attack, all day every day, for the past week or so. And that's what hurts the most. Not that so many people, so many Christians, have done those things to me, or made all my emotional issues worse, but that so many of them have never cared. That they're not sorry, and so many things have happened to me, for so long, that it's gotten to the point where I'm fully convinced I'll never have real friends. And that if I do make friends, I'm still convinced they'll abandon me or lie to me or betray me. I've been working on getting closer to God and all, but yet I still don't see how anyone will ever love me or put up with me, especially because people I trust keep showing me that that's true. I don't want to be the guy who talks about my problems all the time. I just want friends who can help me with my Christian walk, who will care about me, and talk to me, and who we can share interests with and talk about them together, maybe play videogames together. Yet it feels everyone I meet who could be that person, something goes wrong. I screw up, they abandon me, or they won't talk to me on the one form of communication that doesn't give me anxiety attacks, or whatnot. I'm not going to name names, but I've even had multiple people on this site, who I felt insulted me, belittled me, and demeaned me, for having serious problems I needed help with. And then I tried to talk other people, and most of the people I tried talking to, just defended the ones who hurt me. And that hasn't happened just here, it's happened on other Christian sites too. I used to be on one Christian site, where a staff member told a suicidal girl to just kill herself. I lost my temper (because stuff like that makes me really angry) and just kinda railed at the guy. Yet everyone on that site only cared that I railed at the guy, they didn't care at all that he told a suicidal girl to kill herself, and then he called her a "pseudo-Christian".

I'm just tired of people always only caring what I do wrong, or never caring how I'm hurt, or acting like everything I do is wrong, and ignoring my explanations, or twisting my explanations to make me sound worse.

I've been on the verge of tears, and in the middle of an anxiety attack, all day every day for the past week or so. I've decided to try to find sites, to hopefully find Christian gamer friends who can help me (Christians because I"d like to discuss faith, and discuss books about faith that I've been reading, and gamers, so we have some common interests to talk about). And every site I find, I realize, I have no clue how to meet people or talk to people. Most of the tiem, on sites I find, I post things, and people usually barely respond. Then I go through random profiles, send messages to random people, and I find friends that way. I Joined this one social anxiety site, but there's always like a hundred people logged in on that site, same with another Christian site I found. I can't go through hundreds of profiles, with my susceptibility to stress and depression and anxiety, it'll drive me insane. And I can't stop thinking, what if I meet peopel that seem cool, but they betray me too, or things just don't work out. I'm tired of being a freak noone can love or put up with. I'm tired of things failing no matter how hard I try. I'm trying to keep hope that like, I'll find a site, post a bit in some sections, and people will respond, and I'll find friends that way, and maybe some help with the site, but that hope never sticks with me. I hate myself so much, especially because all the people I've met who have been mean to me because I have problems, they always have some group of friends who loves them and thinks they're awesome, and it always makes me think, what's so bad about me, that nooen can love me and put up with me, yet all these people that seem so mean and uncaring have all these friends. Why is it that so many people have been so mean to me, ignored me when I try to talk, then later rail at me for talking about problems, yet noone cares about that stuff? I'm not gonna bore everyone with the details, but I was suicidal a few weeks ago, and while I'd never kill myself I'm still struggling with feeling alone and hopeless, like nothing will work out, noone will ever love me and support me, I'll never find the friends I want, and it sucks so much. I know of all these people who are close friends, and either hang out all the time, or were onlien friends, and then met up, and are still close friends, or got married or whatnot, and I just wish I could have hope that something like that could happen for me. But it just feels like alld my online friendshps, will either go nowhere, or I'll be betrayed me, or they'd never trust me to meet me in person. I just feel so lonely and hopeless and it sucks. Trying really hard that if I find sites to post on and make friends on, that either it'll be easy to find the people to talk to, or that they'll find me and contact me, but right now it's too hard to believe.

Edit: As expected, I forgot to add some stuff. I'm a big fan of justice. When someone does something wrong, or hurtful, it bothers me. It drives me insane, and sometimes it takes a long tiem, and therapy, to cope with it (because it bothers me that much) so when it happens again and again, especially to me, it really screws me up. Just hard to get over my anger and frustration at those situations. I've also been betrayed by almost every girl I loved. My first girlfriend, she left me for a man she knew to be an alcoholic pedophile (not even joking, and then she left me again for a guy she knew lied to her about everything about him, and used her to cheat on his girlfriend he had two kids with. SHe knew all that when she left me for him, and then most of the girls after that (except one) either just lied to me, or left me for guys who had either already cheated on them, or it was incredibly obvious they would cheat and wouldn't be good boyfriends. Just gets annoying. It really hurts the self-esteem, that I tried so hard to be so caring, to always be tehre for them and love them (and I didn't do any of the stuff you see in lists like "Top Ten Things Nice Guys Do Wrong") and then they always pass me up for, orl eave me for, guys that either it's obvious they'll be bad people, or they end up being bad people.
I've been shy my whole life,but I try my best to talk to people, and make friends. Because of my anxiety, I like taking things slow, and talking on stuff like AIM, which is the only online form of communication where I barely feel any anxiety. Just hoping to make some Christian anime/gamer friends who are willing to support me and try to understand me, and me them, and have patience, and talk to, and basically just hang out discussing things and play games together. That, or that God will bring those people to me lol. Just talk about games, anime, life, and books with. I've also been reading lots of Christian help books lately, stuff like "Where Is God When It Hurts" and stuff like that, and I Think it'd be fun to discuss that stuff with friends, whoever I make friends with or whenever it happens. I guess that's really all I"m looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think you've found a safe place here. I'm glad you're here, and if there ever is a time when you feel someone here is inappropriate in any way towards you, please be sure to pm the moderators. They are good at keeping this a safe place.

It sounds like you've been through a lot. We have in common the stuff about family seeing you start to get happy and shutting you down. I want you to know, though, that you can recover from that. God will see to it, but it takes time. I'm glad you're reading Philip Yancy. He's been blessed with a good knowledge of the heart of God and he writes about it well. There's also a great book by Frank Peretti called The Wounded Spirit. Have you read that?

As far as the family stuff goes, it will follow us forever if we don't deal with it, or rather, let God deal with it, which it sounds like you have begun doing. And you're right. Folks like us can take a long time to heal, and that's okay. But the problem as you state it is that so much gets piled on to the original wound. I'd hate to see you isolate yourself, but it definitely is a time when you should be very careful about who you open yourself up to. And it's certainly a time for opening up to God as fully as you can manage. I posted this earlier today on another thread, so forgive me if you've already seen it. But there is a study on this link, www.lifetoday.org/beth called The I Am Over Your Was which is specifically about healing from the sort of past that has plagued you. I think you'd enjoy it. And for those additional wounds that have been mounding Charles Stanley has a great info and encouragement for folks like us. And the wonderful thing is that folks like us aren't really like us anymore, because God is making us new. Here's the link to his archive In Touch Ministries :: Video Archives - In Touch Ministries - Dr. Charles Stanley 2010

Some studies on that link, though they are all wonderful biblically based teaching and encouragement are Nov 22, 2009 Our Heart's Desire
Sept 27, 2009 The God of Comfort
Sept 22, 2008 Loneliness, Sept 29 Lonliness Pt 2
April 27,2008 Healing From the Bondage of Rejection

Great info that helped me a lot. I hope you'll watch, and I'd be happy to discuss them with you. And as for the being shut down, I want you to know that God will not allow your gifts to stay shut down. He is healing me from my past and will do the same for you. that doesn't mean that everytime I start to act like I'm free in Christ that the devil and the folks working for him don't try to stop me. They do every time and I expect they will continue. But I can now look them in the face and say "No!" Sometimes I say it verbally, other times through my actions of moving confidently in Christ in the direction of the dreams He has put in me, the desires of my heart. He died to give you a wonderful life. He's determined to bring you into it. But know that your enemy is determined to have you think you'll never make it. The fact that you've come under attack in this way so consistently says to me that you have much to contribute. Let this be a season of healing in Jesus, and then the sky's the limit.

blessings, A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2009
USA
✟15,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Aedin,
We are interested in listening and sharing with you. Your post stated that you have come into contact with many toxic people. There are some kind and decent people in the world and I'm going to pray that God sends them in your direction.

What games are you into? Do you play Halo? Borderlands? Mass Effect 2?

What did you learn from the book Where is God When it Hurts? Would you be so kind to share what you learned with us?

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi Aedin.
I'm sorry things have been so hard... it's good that you are sorting through things with a therapist.
We are here if you need to talk, and most of us here know to some extent how you feel, so we certainly won't reject you for having problems :hug:
I don't know whether your anxiety is too bad to allow you to do voluntary work... but if you can, it's always a good way to get to know people and find friends, as well as helping those in need.
:hug:

Upvote 0

BlessEwe

Legend
Dec 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟33,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You are in my prayers. I am also praying the Lord shows you that the only one we should be concerned about what they think is Christ. Yes it is painful how human flesh can judge and be mean when we are hurting. I know exactly what you are talking about, but until I came to a point in my life that I have to let these painful hurtful things go, or I will always be dragging heavy loads that won't let me see the joyful things God has for me.

Christ does not want me to carry, He wants to carry them for me.
Think about the stupid mean things humans did to Jesus, and how they let Him suffer He knows how you are feeling. Christ can heal the pain in your heart.

These people probably don't even care what they said or did and forgot about it, you holding on to these things continues to give them the power of hurting you over and over again. Forgiving them does not mean what they did was ok, but it is freeing you from the pain and giving it to God.

I have been in recovery for a few years now and have had to go through this process, some days I have to repeat it because I found I picked it up again.

We can not control what others say or do, but we can control how we respond to it.

Lord be with you, and I pray you are doing ok. :groupray:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aflower4God

observant petal
Jan 3, 2007
✟16,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hi there my dear sweet brother,:wave:
First a BIG welcome back to CF:clap: (you said that you were here before). Anyway you came to the right area.:thumbsup: You will find that the brothers and sisters here are VERY supportive and loving and logical.:angel:
Second, PLEASE KNOW that I am not trying to hurt you by any means when I say this but I am worried that you COULD get addicted to games online. I only say this cause the enemy (devil) will use anything and everything to get people away from God. :( There is NOTHING AT ALL with having hobbies, like games. Thanks to a dear friend here she has linked me to a site on how to knit and I really want to learn how to knit and then move on up to crotching. So hobbies are great my dear brother!!!!:thumbsup: But, I know several guys who got addicted to them, the games (you know played games for hours and hours), SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL
Third, I know the pain of rejection. Here is a BIG hug to you:hug: My dear brother I would want more than anything for my "dream guy" to come into my life tomorrow and lately I have been talking about that here on CF, but due to prayers and SUCH WONDERFUL advice given to me, I must be patient and above all work on my relationship with God. I am trying, so I say this to you, it will help, no it will not take away your pain right away, like an Advil will for cramps, cause my heart is still aching very bad BUT it will slowly go away, put your pain at God's feet, leave it there and continue to talk to God. :amen: You know like you were talking to a friend on the phone, pray hard, tell him what is in your heart and why it hurts, tell him everything. You know God knows already what we are thinking He just wants us to hear what is on our mind our selves. :priest:
Fourth, OH I HATE, repeat I HATE THE PANIC ATTACKS, my dear sweet brother, I get those A LOT, and I am sooooooooooo sorry this is happening to you. :( Panic attacks are the worst. I don't know if you are on medication for that but might I suggest that you talk to a doctor about this. I am on Xanax and now I have to take Xanax daily (well in all honesty I have to take it twice a day but I refuse to cause I don't want to take that much).
Above all KNOW that we are here for you dear brother and that Jesus made you and you are here for a WONDERFUL purpose. Don't take your life, believe me this thought has crossed my mind for me too. But I know that I am to die in GOD's timing not mine the reason why is cause I am here for some special reason. I KNOW that you are too. JESUS DOES LOVE YOU my dear sweet brother. And know this you have a friend in me and when ever you feel like talking just send me a PM.
God bless you and you have strenght and courage to tell your story. You are a strong young man!!!!!! Please keep coming back. PLEASE keep us updated as to how you are doing.
I AM PRAYING FOR YOU!!! :prayer: Lots of love to you my dear sweet brother!!!!! :groupray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums