My Israel Challenge

It is the year 1611. Is Israel the Promised Land?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you mean "promised to a certain group of people by God," then no. If you mean, "believed to have been promised to a certain group of people by God," then yes.

(And why do I get the feeling that you wanted me in particular to answer this question?)

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
To get a ratio of who thinks Israel was promised by God or by government.

It was promised to a people long before 1611, and what makes you think this date is of any importance whatsoever? Israel entered there promised land long ago, long, long before 1611. That they then lost it is a personal problem, brought about by their own behavior. That governments then gave it back makes no difference one way or the other.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,912,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It was promised to a people long before 1611, and what makes you think this date is of any importance whatsoever?
It's an arbitrary date I wanted to pick between AD 70 and 1948.

I didn't want to give a date after 1948, or they would say:

Ya ... it's the Promised Land, because it was promised to them by a series of governmental actions.

I didn't want to say prior to AD 70, because AD 70 is when the "times of the Gentiles" started, and will end at Armageddon.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It was promised to a people long before 1611, and what makes you think this date is of any importance whatsoever? Israel entered there promised land long ago, long, long before 1611. That they then lost it is a personal problem, brought about by their own behavior. That governments then gave it back makes no difference one way or the other.

This is basically true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is the year 1611.

Is Israel the Promised Land?

I don't know about over there, but in North America, for the most part, 1611 the ecosystem and Native Indians were still largely intact, though would soon change. If I were in Virginia or North Carolina region, I would be keeping my eye on the Jamestown Colony to see what they were up to. Too bad same couldn't be same for Indians south of the border, as in Mexico and Peru, for dirtbag conquistadores had already largely done them in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It's pretty clear that Europeans in 1611 would have seen the Holy Land as the Promised Land- however, promised to who? European Christians would undoubtedly have seen it as promised to them, as we are talking a couple of hundred years after the Crusades (and always the dim prospect of another Crusade against the Turks).

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The land of Canaan was indeed promised to Abraham, and eventually to the nation of Israel. But the fullness of those promises could never have been fulfilled in the land of Canaan alone. They were only fulfilled in the British and American empires in the last 400 years.

Notice too that the modern state of Israel only occupies the land lying mainly west of the Jordan River, leaving Israel with little more than one-half of the ancient real estate.

It is only in a much larger land that the promised "multitudes as numerous as the sands of the sea", or "chariots without number" could be fulfilled.

It is noteworthy however that the Jews, the descendants of the tribe of Judah, have now acquired much more land than was their allotment in ancient Israel. This of course leaves the other tribal descendants wanting for land there- but not elsewhere. Their inheritance now is principally among the lands of northern Europe and America.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BlandOatmeal

Jan 13, 2006
Oregon, ИSA
✟2,769.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jews pray toward Jerusalem every day, recognizing it as their homeland promised by God. Every year at Passover, Jews greet one another, saying "Next year in Jerusalem". They have done this for some 2,000 years. They certainly did this in 1611.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.