My husband wants to buy a gun and I'm terrified of them. How do I get over my fear?

stanria

Jan 31, 2017
Earth
✟21,625.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband wants to buy a gun. We're planning on going shopping for one tomorrow after getting the paperwork in order. This is something we've been discussing for a good 6 months.

In Dec last year we went for training, and we both learned how to safely use, maintain and shoot a pistol and a shotgun. I learned how they work and how they're safe tools. Even though I've been through training, I still feel sick just thinking about owning one. I am terrified that my husband will use his and shoot someone and I don't want that to happen. He also wants me to get one too, and for us to go shooting on a regular (monthly) basis.

I understand that my fear is from ignorance. I'm afraid of the unknown. I know that if I take the time to learn and shoot on a regular basis I can overcome this fear. I am doing my best to submit to my husband in this regard (as with all of our marriage).

My real concern is that the bible teaches us not to murder. I don't understand the logic behind owning something for the sole purpose of killing someone else. And practising doing so to that end. I understand that many of the people here carry and shoot as a hobby. Could you help me understand your reasoning behind doing so, so that I can better come to terms with my husband's desire to get a firearm too?

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm adraid of the unkown too, but you shouldn't be afraid just because your husband wants to buy a gun. Thinking "guns = murder" is a scare tactic so that people will want gun control laws. Guns are for protection. If guns are taken away, then the people who use illegal methods will get them anyway, and the general population will have no way to defend themselves.

Also God commanded people in the Bible to kill in the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By definition, murder is "the intentional malicious killing of another human".

Defending yourself has no malicious intent, and no intent to kill. You are legally employing deadly force against someone who poses an immediate threat of death or great bodily harm to you. If they die, too bad for them.
Your only motive is to stop the attack and the danger from it.

If you fear guns and their potential to kill, study the case histories of crimes where people had no means to defend themselves and to fight back.
This will change your mind.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I used to struggle with this "turn the other cheek" passage also, but I learned the hard way that Christian ethics are much more complicated than surrender.

If a person has others depending on them for protection, provision, or other needs, then that person has a very limited - possibly non-existent - right to passively surrender and not fight.

Should a mother with small children blithely allow a kidnapper to abduct one of her children, who will probably be sexually abused and killed? Should a husband tell a home invader to take whatever he wants and go, trusting that a criminal will stop there? Should a soldier tell his fellow soldiers "Hey, I'm through with this killing stuff. You guys go on without me"?

We may (or may not) have the right to not fight in our own defense when no one else depends on us. We DON'T have that right when others depend on us. Our passiveness puts them in danger.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Honestly, the best way to get over the fear of guns is to actually shoot one in a controlled setting where you have an experienced person showing you how it operates. 2 people I personally have known, who were afraid of guns, after shooting some really were no longer afraid. The experience and understanding of how they work gives a peace of mind.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to sound like a broken record...but just get to the range with someone who's competent with them, and give them a test run.

There was a time 10 years ago where I wasn't a fan...now I have a pretty good sized arsenal lol.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How do you interpret Matthew 5:38-48?

Jesus seemed to have a different kinder view than God in the Old Testament—also, Jesus was saying it in the matter of those in your group, whereas in the Old Testament God often seemed to command anyone to be killed who basically wasn't an Israelite/didn't worship him, etc.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you interpret Matthew 5:38-48?

Sorry, you asked for an interpretation, and I went somewhere else...

From Matthew 5 (NIV):

21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment.

Using these criteria, I am guilty of murder (most of us are). However, I have gone far beyond this regarding anger and murder, and without going into detail on a public forum, there are people alive now who wouldn't be, if I had my way.

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Notice that Jesus doesn't say "If anyone cuts off one of your arms, offer them the other also". Slapping was an insult, but a relatively harmless one. Lawsuits may be expensive, but again, not life-threatening. Same with temporary forced labor and giving or loaning money to high-risk people.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Excellent theology, but very hard to do. I have prayed for people that I really wanted to murder, and God gradually took away my hatred. I have given/loaned thousands to "friends" and seen none of it come back. That's OK. As sinners who have been forgiven by God, we really have no bone to pick with our fellow sinners.

But that doesn't mean I will roll over and play dead if my family or I am in danger.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obviously as an atheist, I don't have to try to reconcile any of my actions with the turn the other cheek doctrine, however, based on what I read and studied when I was a practicing Christian, that doctrine wasn't a blanket "let someone rape your wife and murder your kids" teaching.

There were several other NT teachings that advocated certain forms of self-defense and defense of one's family.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My husband wants to buy a gun. We're planning on going shopping for one tomorrow after getting the paperwork in order. This is something we've been discussing for a good 6 months.

In Dec last year we went for training, and we both learned how to safely use, maintain and shoot a pistol and a shotgun. I learned how they work and how they're safe tools. Even though I've been through training, I still feel sick just thinking about owning one. I am terrified that my husband will use his and shoot someone and I don't want that to happen. He also wants me to get one too, and for us to go shooting on a regular (monthly) basis.

I understand that my fear is from ignorance. I'm afraid of the unknown. I know that if I take the time to learn and shoot on a regular basis I can overcome this fear. I am doing my best to submit to my husband in this regard (as with all of our marriage).

My real concern is that the bible teaches us not to murder. I don't understand the logic behind owning something for the sole purpose of killing someone else. And practising doing so to that end. I understand that many of the people here carry and shoot as a hobby. Could you help me understand your reasoning behind doing so, so that I can better come to terms with my husband's desire to get a firearm too?

Jesus never asked any women to submit to their husbands.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In Dec last year we went for training, and we both learned how to safely use, maintain and shoot a pistol and a shotgun. I learned how they work and how they're safe tools.
Did you enjoy the experience?
I am terrified that my husband will use his and shoot someone and I don't want that to happen. He also wants me to get one too, and for us to go shooting on a regular (monthly) basis.
Are you afraid that he will intentionally shoot someone who is not threatening someone else? What about unintentionally?
My real concern is that the bible teaches us not to murder. I don't understand the logic behind owning something for the sole purpose of killing someone else. And practising doing so to that end. I understand that many of the people here carry and shoot as a hobby.
Perhaps he wants the hobby? In which case a gun isn't for the sole purpose of killing someone else.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stanria: I'm happy that he wants to include you in this. That says alot for him! I think a good start - if he hasn't already - is to find a secure place to lock them up. We have gun safe.

We have guns. I have been around them all my life, but I have never shot one. I have knowledge of them, but not of shooting them.

It just wasn't something I have ever been urged to do. They don't scare me though. You need to do some soul searching about your fear. I do remember years ago when the children were babies one of the tools I had to use for my business was a rotary saw. It was loud, and it could chop off fingers if you didn't use it correctly - along with other things. I put on my safety gear, and did go slower than people normally do at first. With more use? I learned to respect the power tools that seem to scare me, and the fear slowly went away. That's NOT to say my measures to be cautious were not present. Those never left me. It turned into a more healthy fear - or respect for the tool.

With time and experience, and other important aspects like your husband treating them with respect? Those fears will start to lower, and you may find you like shooting. (Shrugs) Or you may not! It's a personal thing. Yet, conquering those fears - remember fear at times can be irrational. That's not a blow, cutdown, etc. It just is. I had an irrational fear of the saw. My heart literally was jumping out of my chest for a while. I knew in the back of my head that if I followed all the safety aspects, and wore the gear? I would be fine, and I needed to learn this for business anyway. My anxiety levels lowered with experience, and in the following years used that saw for things OUTSIDE my business. Personal things, people that needed help, etc. I could see their fear of the saw, and they couldn't believe I would just JUMP right in and do it. Yep, I recognized their reaction. I had it in the past.

This isn't a matter of submission. He also has a responsibility to treat your healthy/irrational fears with respect. There are plenty of bible verses to cover that - as I'm sure you know. The bible is also against coercion. Remember this a gentle balance in life, and in marriage!

It could also be a tool to raise your self confidence. You know you can face fears, and do it anyway. Do you know how many people ALLOW their fears to hinder things in their lives? they just plain refuse to move forward. What you might see as submission I see as strength. I found that I had less fear of other power tools, because I had faced the saw I feared. I respected the new tool, but my heart wasn't pounding through my chest this time.

Growing up I never saw such fear of guns as there is today. Many of the statements made are based in emotion, and it seems to me to scare people. No one in their right mind wants to shoot someone. I'm OLD at this point, and I don't know one person that ever has - outside war. Not one. Heck, I don't think I know anyone that knows anyone that shot someone. My children were taught from a young age - as I was - about weapons and the serious nature of them. People seem to forget that not every child grows up in an urban area, and the only time they have ever seen one was on TV. All tools need to used with respect.

Do this for yourself, and not your husband. It's okay later if you find this is NOT your cup of tea! Respect goes towards your direction as well, and if you don't want to go shooting one day? He can go alone. OR you can go without your gun.

I will tell you my H and I purchased our retirement property within the last 2 years. We went back to the rural environment. lol it is odd hearing people now shooting their guns in their ranges they have on their property. They do that to keep their skill up, and because we do have predators in the area. Honestly? I was surprised that my H never brought his weapon with him once so far. When I heard them shoot the first time? My Urban side kicked in...lol! I'm used to it now.

Discussions about guns is normal, and the respect for them is always present there. I find you learn a different mindset, and the fear turns to respect. That was opposite to our Urban home in which there is real fear there. When my kids were in Elementary school? The school found out my H goes hunting. We were told to come in to talk to them about the 'guns' we had in the home. Heck, they even brought in a police officer! Their ignorance was on full display, and even the police officer told them they needed to calm down. You should have heard them?! You would have thought we had toxic waste in the house or something. The officer was impressed with our approach, and told the school they needed to chill. Their meeting was based in 'fear' and not reality. lol they never bothered us again, but I know they were scared of us. (eye rolls) He wasn't a hunter, but a potential serial killer. (snickers) Talk about way past irrational fear here!

Have Patience with yourself! Even if guns never become your cup of tea? The respect part will grow, and the fear part will lesson more and more with time. It comes with experience!

Upvote 0

Wol

Nov 15, 2008
the wolery...
✟9,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The best way, in my humble opinion, to solve the ignorance issue is to go find an NRA First Steps class in your area and both of you sign up for it. I took my wife to one in our area. She was nervous, but she went and ended up enjoying the class. The instructors were very knowledgeable and patient. Learning how to handle a gun properly and safely will, I think, be a help to you.

Upvote 0

CarlaWalker

Mar 19, 2017
Little Rock, Arkansas
✟15,233.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
If either of you are planning on "killing someone" for the purpose of the kill then yeah I could understand your trepidation, but it's not killing someone - it's defending yourself to prevent someone from killing you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I understand that my fear is from ignorance. I'm afraid of the unknown. I know that if I take the time to learn and shoot on a regular basis I can overcome this fear.
It's good that you realize that this fear comes from ignorance and that you are working on it. That is to be commended.
The more you shoot, the more comfortable you will get with it.
My real concern is that the bible teaches us not to murder. I don't understand the logic behind owning something for the sole purpose of killing someone else.

I don't own firearms for the sole purpose of killing someone else....I own them for the sole purpose of protecting myself.
Protecting yourself is not "murder"...and the vast majority of times firearms are used for self protection a shot is never fired.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

There is no reason to feel sick about owning and/or using a gun. A gun is basically a tool to throw a "rock" or "rocks" accurately over a long distance. I own quite a few guns and enjoy shooting them all. I use them exclusively for target shooting and hunting; I would never carry one in public or use it in self-defense. I don't understand the logic behind owning something for the sole purpose of killing someone else. As I said above, there are other purposes for owning and using a gun. As an example, using a shotgun to shoot trap or skeet is a lot of fun. Kim Rhode is a six-time women's Olympic medal winner, including three gold medals, and six-time national champion in women's double trap. Ginny Thrasher, a college student, won the first gold medal of the 2016 Olympics in women's 10 meter air rifle. There are many, many uses for firearms other than shooting another person.

Upvote 0

PRESIDIO

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I used to struggle with this "turn the other cheek" passage also, but I learned the hard way that Christian ethics are much more complicated than surrender.

If a person has others depending on them for protection, provision, or other needs, then that person has a very limited - possibly non-existent - right to passively surrender and not fight.

Should a mother with small children blithely allow a kidnapper to abduct one of her children, who will probably be sexually abused and killed? Should a husband tell a home invader to take whatever he wants and go, trusting that a criminal will stop there? Should a soldier tell his fellow soldiers "Hey, I'm through with this killing stuff. You guys go on without me"?

We may (or may not) have the right to not fight in our own defense when no one else depends on us. We DON'T have that right when others depend on us. Our passiveness puts them in danger.

To the OP this sums it up rather nicely. I would only like to add a couple of things. I have been teaching firearms self defense to law abiding people for over 15 years. In that time we have trained well over 3000 people in concealed handgun carry and using a gun for self defense. A common thread with all of them is they want to operate within the law and the last thing they want to do is fire their gun in self defense. However, they recognize there is evil in the world as Darkhorse has so nicely illustrated. One thing I would caution against is listening to anyone that would suggest that lawful self defense is not moral. If you are concerned if you would be able to defend yourself well, that I can understand. I would seek out opinions of those that actually live in that world and have seen it up close and personal. There is nothing wrong with asking the provider of advice: What experience have you had? Provide me with your training/experience resume. The internet is great but some of the downfalls are that everyone is an expert even when experience has been limited to range shooting and hunting. There is a world of difference between target/hunt shooting and using one for self defense.

Upvote 0

PRESIDIO

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
One more thing I thought of OP: Talk to some believers who are police officers at your church. That would be a great resource for wrapping your mind around what kind of evil is out there. I applaud you for your questions. Everyone should be asking themselves these questions of themselves. There is wisdom in knowing that you don't know.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As far as overcoming fear...realize a firearm is an inanimate object. Without human will and action, it does nothing.
Then go shooting with someone who has experience with firearms. Start slow and small and safe.

Nothing scriptural about it, but with regard to "killing". Murder is wrong. Killing to defend life is expected.

I do not believe for one second that God wants Christians to lay down and die without defending themselves. He created me, such as I am, and I do not feel compelled to throw away his creation.
If all Christians were never willing to defend themselves there would be no Christians left.

Please do not be afraid of firearms.

Take care.

Upvote 0