Jesus is Love and He is Faithful
May 22, 2008
✟8,551.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
My Encounter with a Heresy Hunter

After picking up the phone with my usual cheerful greeting, a voice responded, "Hello, this is Pastor X." My heart dropped. It's him! It's the heresy-hunter who's been publicly criticizing some of God's choice servants. Now I was his next target!

I shouldn't have been startled when he called. After all, a month before, God warned me of his impending call. I even told my wife, Sonia, this. Nevertheless there's nothing like the actual confrontation.

I asked, trying to disguise my nervousness, "What can I do for you?"

"I wonder if I could meet with you to discuss the scriptures?"

I thought, "Sure??? You mean BEAT THE BIBLE OVER MY HEAD!" But I responded, "What for? I don't want to discuss anything with you, because you're too divisive!"

"Well, let's discuss whether or not I'm divisive. I promise I won't come to debate or argue with you."

"Under those conditions, OK. We'll meet," I answered knowing that he really wanted to argue. But I must admit I wanted to tell him a few things too...if you know what I mean!

I have never understood how these so called apologists can publicly criticize other ministers who obviously have the call of God on their life. I feel tremendous guilt if I say just one mean, petty remark about a fallen minister, not to mention the spiritual ones. Yet these heresy-hunters continue day-after-day criticizing God's anointed--and publicly--without feeling one ounce of guilt or remorse over the destruction they cause in the the body of Christ.

I was finally going to find out what motivated Pastor X and others such as him to judge God's people.

What did I discover? Nothing new.

Pastor X is motivated by the same thing that motivated the Pharisees and Sadducees to criticize, judge, and persecute Jesus and the apostles--and that's JEALOUSY!

I'm sure some are thinking, "Oh, NO! Pastor X and his fellow workers are trying to protect the Church from false doctrine."

Please realize that this was also the Sanhedrin's official, public reason for crucifying Jesus: You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish, was Caiaphus' excuse for murdering Jesus. (Remember he who hates his brother is a murderer too.)

Are not the heresy-hunters using basically the same language to justify their judgmental attitudes, which the Bible emphatically forbids?

"We are guarding and protecting God's Church from false doctrine," you hear them argue.

I believe the Lord can handle that job without your help...or mine! Jesus said, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell WILL NOT prevail against it."

The Lord is responsible for the Church. True, we pastors must protect the flock to which the Lord has made us shepherds. But we are not to judge God's true ministers because we disagree over minor points of doctrine which the devil has magnified.

Yes, let us pastors protect our churches from religions that deny the fundamental doctrines of Christ--the virgin birth, the inspiration of scriptures, the new birth, etc... But let us also put away strife and dissension--and strive the keep the unity of the Spirit.

So you might be wondering how the meeting with Pastor X turned out.

Well, I argued persuasively--but most importantly in love--my theological stance. I have been known to get a little hot-tempered when I debate concerning the scriptures, so my wife warned me beforehand to watch my temper. And by God's grace I did. (Sonia was with me and can verify this.) And Pastor X tried his best to point out what he thought were my errors. In the end neither of us, as expected, changed our views.

The one thing about Pastor X that disappointed me the most was not his inability to answer my arguments but his mean-spirited attack on me personally.

"You're a dangerous man!" he repeatedly said. ME...dangerous! You gotta be kidding.

Tom Brown

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OP apparently copied from here, FWIW.

After picking up the phone with my usual cheerful greeting, a voice responded, "Hello, this is Pastor X." My heart dropped. It's him! It's the heresy-hunter who's been publicly criticizing some of God's choice servants. Now I was his next target!

I shouldn't have been startled when he called. After all, a month before, God warned me of his impending call. I even told my wife, Sonia, this. Nevertheless there's nothing like the actual confrontation.

I asked, trying to disguise my nervousness, "What can I do for you?"

"I wonder if I could meet with you to discuss the scriptures?"

I thought, "Sure??? You mean BEAT THE BIBLE OVER MY HEAD!" But I responded, "What for? I don't want to discuss anything with you, because you're too divisive!"

"Well, let's discuss whether or not I'm divisive. I promise I won't come to debate or argue with you."

"Under those conditions, OK. We'll meet," I answered knowing that he really wanted to argue.

Ah, the gift of mind-reading. How handy.

But I must admit I wanted to tell him a few things too...if you know what I mean!

I have never understood how these so called apologists can publicly criticize other ministers who obviously have the call of God on their life.
What if the apologists don't find that alleged "call of God" so obvious?

How did that stinky ol' Paul have the guts to publicly chasten Cephas, one of the Lord's "inner circle"?

I feel tremendous guilt if I say just one mean, petty remark about a fallen minister, not to mention the spiritual ones. Yet these heresy-hunters continue day-after-day criticizing God's anointed--and publicly--without feeling one ounce of guilt or remorse over the destruction they cause in the the body of Christ.
Oh, the gift of empathy, so one can even tell what another is "feeling." Quite a psychic radar system this guy has.

I was finally going to find out what motivated Pastor X and others such as him to judge God's people.

What did I discover? Nothing new.

Pastor X is motivated by the same thing that motivated the Pharisees and Sadducees to criticize, judge, and persecute Jesus and the apostles--and that's JEALOUSY!
There's that gift of psychic radar again. Must be, cause Tommy boy didn't cite any *evidence* for claiming the motive is jealousy.

I'm sure some are thinking, "Oh, NO! Pastor X and his fellow workers are trying to protect the Church from false doctrine."

Please realize that this was also the Sanhedrin's official, public reason for crucifying Jesus: You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish, was Caiaphus' excuse for murdering Jesus. (Remember he who hates his brother is a murderer too.)
Nice diversion. Tommy Boy not only *accuses* -- with NO trace of *evidence* -- the unnamed "heresy hunter" of lying, being without remorse, and being motivated by jealousy, but now he proceeds to simply dismiss (without at all *addressing*) a plausible alternative motivation, AND in the process makes an absurd moral equivalence implication between those who suborned the Crucifixion and those who today attack perceived false doctrine.

Are not the heresy-hunters using basically the same language to justify their judgmental attitudes, which the Bible emphatically forbids?
If "judgmental attitudes" are totally impermissible, Jesus Himself was off-base in His characterizations of the Pharisees.

More pertinently, Tommy Boy is violating his own declared view of Scripture by passing numerous judgments on the "heresy hunter."

"We are guarding and protecting God's Church from false doctrine," you hear them argue.

I believe the Lord can handle that job without your help...or mine! Jesus said, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell WILL NOT prevail against it."
So... He didn't need Paul's help to correct Peter. He didn't need Paul to issue warnings against Hymenaeus, Philetus, and Alexander. He didn't need John to issue a warning about Diotrophenes. Ok. I'll get my white-out and get rid of those passages.

The Lord is responsible for the Church. True, we pastors must protect the flock to which the Lord has made us shepherds. But we are not to judge God's true ministers because we disagree over minor points of doctrine which the devil has magnified.
Mmm-hmm. What if they're major points of doctrine which the devil has (to the perception of some) minimized?

Yes, let us pastors protect our churches from religions that deny the fundamental doctrines of Christ--the virgin birth, the inspiration of scriptures, the new birth, etc... But let us also put away strife and dissension--and strive the keep the unity of the Spirit.

So you might be wondering how the meeting with Pastor X turned out.

Well, I argued persuasively--but most importantly in love--my theological stance.
I wonder if Tommy Boy showed as much "love" to the "heresy hunter's" face as he did when gossiping behind his back.

I have been known to get a little hot-tempered when I debate concerning the scriptures, so my wife warned me beforehand to watch my temper. And by God's grace I did. (Sonia was with me and can verify this.) And Pastor X tried his best to point out what he thought were my errors. In the end neither of us, as expected, changed our views.

The one thing about Pastor X that disappointed me the most was not his inability to answer my arguments but his mean-spirited attack on me personally.

"You're a dangerous man!" he repeatedly said. ME...dangerous! You gotta be kidding.

Tom Brown
Wow, that was harsh. Not nice and gentle like, say, "You snake" or "You decorated grave full of rot and stink" or "May God curse you" or "I wish you'd neuter yourself!"

Reactions: Tamara224
Upvote 0

Amadeo65

Feb 18, 2008
✟538.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Wasn't the term Heresy Hunter invented by one of those TBN money grabbers always promising wealth and prosperity to those who made HIM prosperous? That term is offensive on many levels, considering its birth, and should be left out of legitimate scriptural discussion.

Reactions: pinetree
Upvote 0

ShammahBenJudah

Son of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
USA
✟73,073.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The first question that comes to mind is this. Is this Pastor X someone you are accountable to? Do you serve together in the same church or organization? If so, then it is wise to receive his concerns and he should be willing to hear your concerns as well. The issues should be addressed in a spirit of submission one to another.

However, if you have no direct accountability to this Pastor X, requiring such a meeting becomes a breach of protocol, if I can use that term. The meeting would still be possible if it were requested. The whole point being, if both are truly Christians, then both are also kings and should treat one another with the dignity and respect of our office.

I would not think it wrong to reject such a meeting with one who is unable to grasp and operate in this simple precept...as long as it is done in humility and by the leadig of the Spirit. If they are unable to show the basic love and respect Christ requires of us, why would I give ear to their words about other scriptures?

Speaking from my own experience as a "heresy hunter" in the past, I can tell you that jealousy was not really a motivating factor for me. I would have to say it was more pride than anything else. One becomes so confident in their own self righteousness, that we view others who aren't as "righteous" as we are with disgust and contempt. (Luke 18:9)

Judging others exalts self. But instead of "helping" anybody, it only masks the thing we need to judge of ourselves and wounds those we judge. Its a lose:lose situation.

Judging self reveals the faults that are marring the image of Christ within us. As we remove these faults, we provide a better example to others and can pray more effectively for the needs we see that they have. That's a win:win situation.

None of us is perfect. We all have our faults in most every area of our lives. If we learn instead to judge our own faults and pray for those of others, we will create an atmosphere the Lord can get involved with and work in.

I hear this scripture before offerings a lot. But if we're not careful, we may overlook the other side of this double edged sword.

“Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you Luke 6:37-38

If we give judgement, condemnation and unforgiveness, then it will be given back to us in good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over and it WILL be put into our bosom. This is not a happy thing.

And if we don't like receiving those things, then we give the things we want...mercy, salvation and forgiveness, fervent and effectual prayer on another's behalf. I'm thinking I could use a lot more of that in my life.

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wasn't the term Heresy Hunter invented by one of those TBN money grabbers always promising wealth and prosperity to those who made HIM prosperous? That term is offensive on many levels, considering its birth, and should be left out of legitimate scriptural discussion.

I have the book, it was written by ex-mormon James Spencer in 1993. The title of the book was: Heresy Hunters: Character Assassination in the Church

It was a response to Hang Hannegraff and John MacArthur. He made it clear he doesn't agree with everything popular WOF teachers teach, but he would never go as far as to say they were cultists either as Hannegraff has done.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I notice that the OP was careful not to mention the heresy hunter by name, keeping it ideological and not personal. While most holier-than-thou heresy hunters quickly move from the few small doctrinal disputes into poisonous, slanderous character assassinations.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Just as a point of interest ... the persuasiveness behind Caiaphas' statement here was political. This was based on the fear that Jesus would lead a rebellion against Rome and that Rome would in turn destroy the their temple and crush the nation of Israel.

To the high priests...they justified themselves and their actions because they IMO reasoned that it was the best thing for the nation of Israel.

Sounds like this is what this person you are referring to is doing.

I speculate that the reason behind such things are not rooted in Scripture but by being aggressively reactive based upon one's own experiences coupled with subjective Scriptural interpretation.

Just another reason why context is very important.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.