My dad disapproves of me getting married.

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟206,249.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have to agree with whoever stated that intentionally lying, no matter how polite you are about it, is very disrespectful. When the second son said "I will, sir" he was being polite, not respectful if he never intended to do as he said. For the OP to answer the question "will you marry him" with a "no sir", would be polite but intentional lying thus disrespectful. We are called to be respectful, not polite.

I have to agree with Dsrohe on the parable as well, but I am not sure that parable is relevant to this situation.

My SIL is Vietnamese and she went against her parents wishes in marrying. They did not attend the wedding and their relationship has been nil to strained since. However, they are slowly coming around a little now that their first grand baby is here.

Upvote 0

mishbeans

Jun 15, 2011
Lansing, MI
Visit site
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
UPDATE:

Just wanted to thank each and everyone of you that has replied and given your input on the matter. I am so thankful!

Well I am married now, my husband and I just celebrated our 1 year anniversary. What's even better?? About 4-5 months after our wedding my parents and I reconciled! Once I found a job after I got married, my parents were finally at ease and accepted me back into their lives! God was definitely faithful and taught me a lot about the whole situation. I also believe that he allowed the reconciliation to pave a way for me to talk with my dad about Jesus in hopes that he would come to faith in Christ as well. That is the next challenge which I am still trying to figure out.

But just thought I would say thanks and give you all the great news!

-Michelle

Upvote 0